Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Play 'N Trade stores?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default No Chicago Love

I can't believe there are no chicago locations, actually not even an IL location, how disappointing - even more odd is there are 2 in Indianapolis (The amount of disposable income between those two cities is night and day).

There are even quite a few bar arounds that have retro game nights (they have NES's and you bring your games) and or ones w/new stuff (Wii's). Chicago is a huge city that's affordable and there are gamestops every few blocks, I hope someone comes in and takes some of the huge market share here. The only place to buy NES games is on Craigslists where people want about 20% less than what they paid for the game in 1989. If anyone knows of any small independent game stores, please msg me... On a slightly different topic - for movies I just found a store called Odd Obsession that's great (lots of weird stuff here) if you're in Chicago.

Nate
    Last edited by nate1749; 07-16-2008 at 02:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

I barely go to the Stop anymore in lieu of PlayNTrade. They're not trying to force the umpteenth military FPS down your throat or bothering you constantly to reserve something... usually another military FPS.

The PnT guys out my way are quite knowledgable and I'll often just hang out in the store chatting with them. I've seen everything from Intellivision all the way up to the latest and greatest. They're also cool with letting go of "broken" consoles for a steep discount... got a Nomad on the cheap because the power connector needed a hit with the soldering iron.

IMHO a relief from the "we care about the bottom line" gamestores out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, as far as I 've seen, there are three here in South Florida. One in the Main Street shops in Miami Lakes, one in Weston, and a new one opening in uber-west Pines. The Main Street store pissed me off. Too many kids clogging up the area and the guys behind the counter had no time for the dude asking about the old stuff.

The weston store is sparse on the older stuff. Good bit of Nintendo over Sega, and nothing outside of that really. The west pines store hasn't opened yet but damn, it's minutes from home and in the same center as a theater I hit almost every weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EMC2INTOSH

I went to the one in Austin, Tx a while back and they had a pretty good selection. Real good prices on Genesis games. Guy there was real nice and helpful.

The one in San Antonio though I wasent really feeling at all. Didnt particularly care for the workers and the selection was pretty weak and it was very, very dark in there. Dont know why there was barely any lighting at all. That was a few months ago, I havent been back since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've stopped in a few Trade N' Plays and I've never found much in the way of classic games there. Classic, in the way of pre-NES games. Although the one in Broussard, LA did have some 2600 games along with a console. (Bought a Tax Avoiders there).

I'd love to find a Trade N' Play that's luxuriously filled with 'golden era' games for all systems rather than just a handful of Atari 2600 games. I'd like some Colecovision and Intellivision games there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheRealist50

There was one very close to where I live. Like a 5 minute walk. But sadly it closed way too fast, I didn't even have a chance to go in and look around...only lasted maybe 2 months.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    I went to a Play & Trade today and I was VERY disappointed. Prices were only a dollar or two under GameStop prices, some were even closer to eBay prices. Had less than 20 NES games, less than 15 SNES games, less than 20 N64 games. All overpriced, some in shoddy condition.

Store looked like a reject rental video store with fancy TVs. I probably won't visit again.
    Had one open up near my parent's house, near the newer multiplex. Been in there twice, and probably never again. I quote GAC since I share his viewpoint.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Your PnT's must suck.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I haven't visited the local place yet cause I assume their retro selection is limited. The local mom/pop shop here carries some retro stuff (small inventory of most mainstream stuff) stores like digi press are far to rare. I don't think there is a market for a place like digi press here though

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one around here just went out of business. Sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It appears Play N Trade is heading on over to PA now, with 2 locations to my knowledge (Lancaster and Plymouth Meeting) any other info in PA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to the one in Charlotte, NC (Pineville actually) this weekend. Overall, I wasn't incredibly impressed, although I do have a few good things to say. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful. I don't think the two (college) guys owned it, but they behaved as they did. Prices/selection was better than GameStop, it is definitely the better of the two.

The "retro" selection was pretty weak. $20 for any game the general public has heard of (Zelda, Mario, FF, etc.). The SNES FF games were asking $32 I believe. I'd say about 40 NES and 40 SNES games in stock, but lots of doubles (5 or 6 NES Zeldas). There were some .99 NES games, but junk. Most SNES were sports. Very few Genesis. Maybe 30 2600 games. 10 Dreamcast. They had 2 or 3 import PS1 games. They were selling NES/SNES combo (pirate) units for something pretty reasonable ($30 or $40, can't remember).

That said, it is the ONLY *game* store I know if in the area that sells anything older than PS2.

They had a wall of controllers, etc. for older systems. My GF picked up a Genesis controller for 3.99. I picked up Donkey Konga 2 (12.99) and 2 Bongos for 2.99 a piece.

They professionally (not Game Doctor) discs for $3 I think, which is nice. When I went to go buy my game, the guy behind the counter went through a few discs, and gave me the one in the best condition.

Overall, hands down better than GameStop, but not quite as spectacular as I was hoping it would be (selection wise). Still looking for a good retro game shop in the area.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Had one open up near my parent's house, near the newer multiplex. Been in there twice, and probably never again. I quote GAC since I share his viewpoint.
    You must be talking about the Milford store, right? I've been in there once. It was kind of small, and the retro section was just a little dump bin in the middle of the floor, packed full of mostly common NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and 2600 games. They did have a few more things in the glass case under the counter, but it was just overpriced stuff they thought was rare.

Aside from the stuff in the case, though, the prices were okay. Buy 2 get 1 is always nice. I haven't been back there since, though. I live on the other side of town, don't get over to the east side that often. I'd stop by again if I ever was over there, though, just to see. You never know when you're gonna find that one game you've been looking for. Maybe I'll stop by the next time I check the Milford Game City, or Game Swap in Eastgate Mall.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I have one near me, it's the only one in Missouri.

The staff is helpful, the selection could be better, but they usually sell games for cheaper than what they are worth. I bought Ms. Pac-Man for the NES for $4 and it sells for around $20-$24 everywhere else.

However, their Playstation/Saturn selection is terrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Hainjutsuyiu

I was just a play n trade today. They have a great selection of 2600 games as well as ps1 games. They also have NES games but i have most of em
    Ahh man this guy is back

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fuyukaze and I made a horrible discovery about the PnT near us this last Thursday. It closed up. We went out there since we haven't been in a few months and found the store tore out and empty. Asked around the other shops and found that they closed about a month ago. It was utterly sad because they were our last source, that we know of locally, for classics. This store was very good to us. We both got to fill some major gaps in our collections through this store and the staff was great. I know the store quality varied wildly and we felt lucky to be patrons to a good one.

So, is this happening elsewhere? Good stores or not.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are two around here about 15 minutes apart and I think they have the same owners. I visit the one WhoisKeel describes above, about once a month. The store is alright, and the prices are about Gamestops. The biggest travesty in the store is a 2600 Jr. thats over $60. The SNES and NES sections are a little weak, but there's decent stuff to be had in their classic Non Nintendo stuff.

I don't know how well they're doing, but they seem to have good stock and there are always customers in the store. Luckily for me though, if they do close down, I have alternate outlets in town for classic stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    The store here closed as well. We still have three other stores locally that carry retro games so it's not too big a deal, and the PnT here was kinda crappy anyway. There selection and pricing were pretty bad and their help was terrible, on a typical trip into the store, the employees would be either screwing around with their friends or just sitting there playing video games, they also didn't seem to know much about half the products they were selling. I will give them credit for having decent trade-in prices, but there limited selection made it difficult to ever find anything worthwhile. The store here was also open for about three years, which was surprising, since when I would go into the store, I would never see any other customers in there.

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

There is one near where I live that is still open, but I havent been in there for a few months. The problem with family owned stores like this, is that they tend to ignore people that they dont know personally after they have been opened for a while.

When I was in there a few months ago, they were setting up some kind of guitar hero tournament with a line of like 7 kids registering to be in it. I brought my friend with me for the 1st time to show him how great the store was, but when I wanted to buy a few things out of the glass case they acted inconvenienced and werent in the mood for any kinds of questions.

I bought my items and havent been back since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Fuyukaze and I made a horrible discovery about the PnT near us this last Thursday. It closed up. We went out there since we haven't been in a few months and found the store tore out and empty. Asked around the other shops and found that they closed about a month ago. It was utterly sad because they were our last source, that we know of locally, for classics. This store was very good to us. We both got to fill some major gaps in our collections through this store and the staff was great. I know the store quality varied wildly and we felt lucky to be patrons to a good one.

There used to be a Play N' Trade in Lake Charles, LA inside Prien Lake Mall. It seems to be closed, although there's a new location in a local town that opened before their closing. And there was another location in Broussard, LA (south of Lafayette) that was a pretty nice little store. From Play N' Trade's web site, that location has closed now. And now a couple of Houston locations are gone. I guess that's the nature of these stores, since they're independently owned. And GameStop stores tend to be everywhere, so it's hard to carve out their own little niche.