Thread: Play 'N Trade stores?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

My local Play N' Trade closed down earlier this year, only to be reborn as an independent shop. I've been supporting them as much as I can, pre-ordering games from them, though their retro selection is still lacking. There have been several game stores that have opened and closed in my area over the past five years, so I'm hoping they manage to stick around. They do have a pretty good location; right across the street from the college dorms, and next door to a Papa John's, so maybe they'll do alright.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I blame this on all the Gamestop's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone who has not been to a Play N Trade should check them out. Gamestop needs the competition to keep them in check. Unlike Gamestop, at Play N Trade the disc based games are usually complete! They do not toss PS2 cases out!

I found a great deal at Play N Trade recently. Would you believe this?

Metroid Trilogy - $39.99

Same price new or used, Gamestop sells used and incomplete copies for $69.99, EBay will cost you around eighty bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER
    http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30455&p=513209#p513209

Metroid Trilogy had a limited run and will not have a Nintendo Selects repressing. Get this game while you can, the price will just keep going up! I got lucky to get a very pristine copy, no smudges on the disc and all the books are crisp with no finger prints! The pages opened just like a brand new book, even the Registration card is here. I swear it looks brand new and looks to be restickered with a used price label.

CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Anyone who has not been to a Play N Trade should check them out. Gamestop needs the competition to keep them in check. Unlike Gamestop, at Play N Trade the disc based games are usually complete! They do not toss PS2 cases out!

I found a great deal at Play N Trade recently. Would you believe this?

Metroid Trilogy - $39.99

Same price new or used, Gamestop sells used and incomplete copies for $69.99, EBay will cost you around eighty bucks!
    Got my copy for ten bucks new... gotta love target clearance...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoProcess View Post
    Got my copy for ten bucks new... gotta love target clearance...
    Good for you, but does not help one looking for Metroid Trilogy TODAY. The price I posted is what Play N Trade is currently selling the game at. A point that its good to visit Play N Trade, sometimes you might find a bargain.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Good for you, but does not help one looking for Metroid Trilogy TODAY. The price I posted is what Play N Trade is currently selling the game at. A point that its good to visit Play N Trade, sometimes you might find a bargain.
    Chill man I was just sharing... I wasn't trying to say that p&t didn't have a good price for it...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey all, been a while since I've posted anything, but this thread was interesting to me. There were 2 PnT's on the south side of the Twin Cities for a while, but both lasted at most 2 years before folding. I talked to the manager of one of them a couple of days ago, and evidently that one closed due to the owner basically losing interest in anything to do with the store after the first year of operation.

Regardless, they seem to have a very limited shelf life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by jesusjones View Post
    Hey all, been a while since I've posted anything, but this thread was interesting to me. There were 2 PnT's on the south side of the Twin Cities for a while, but both lasted at most 2 years before folding. I talked to the manager of one of them a couple of days ago, and evidently that one closed due to the owner basically losing interest in anything to do with the store after the first year of operation.

Regardless, they seem to have a very limited shelf life.
    I've only recently heard of p&t but I hear more of people saying they open then close right away then anything else... I actually heard one open by me, I guess I should check um out before they close, haha
    Hardware Collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The two P&T stores that were in Colorado Springs closed. The one closed last year, and the other closed about 4-6 months ago. Luckily a new independant store opened and has some nice classic games.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought about stopping by the one in our area (the one Oob was referring to) this weekend on my way to get my Roy Rogers fix (which I am overdue for). The last time I was in there it felt like a waste of time and the stock had not changed since the last time I was in there.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    I thought about stopping by the one in our area (the one Oob was referring to) this weekend on my way to get my Roy Rogers fix (which I am overdue for). The last time I was in there it felt like a waste of time and the stock had not changed since the last time I was in there.
    I haven't had roy rogers in like 10 years! There use to be one next to my house but then when evil mcgrossness bought them out it turned into one of them... so pissed about that... where you live that still has um?
    Hardware Collection

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoProcess View Post
    I haven't had roy rogers in like 10 years! There use to be one next to my house but then when evil mcgrossness bought them out it turned into one of them... so pissed about that... where you live that still has um?
    I live in the Cincinnati Metropolitan area. The lone Roy Rogers in the area is on the other side of the interstate loop. I have NO idea where the next closest Roy Rogers is. I did stop at one years ago on my way home from Syracuse and I noted a few others besides the one I ate at on the I-90 expressway.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    The two P&T stores that were in Colorado Springs closed. The one closed last year, and the other closed about 4-6 months ago. Luckily a new independant store opened and has some nice classic games.
    I'm in Colorado Springs as well, I remember talking with the owner about why he was closing down and he was giving some pretty good deals on the stock near the end. If you don't mind me asking, what new independent game store are you talking about? I haven't seen any new shops recently

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I checked in on the Play 'N Trade closest to me today.. it's an empty unit now. Not that I'm surprised, 6 months ago when I stopped in there was nothing much to look at.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only have 1 play n trade within 20 miles of me.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, my local Play N Trade just bit the dust. It's a shame, because it was an awesome location. The staff was knowledgeable and approachable, and the selection was decent most of the time. I'm sad to see it go. I got some of my best finds in the wild from there, including Saturn Bomberman, two Working Designs Saturn titles, and PSO Episode 1 & 2 Plus for GameCube. All were $4.99, although some with discounts. I also got some good commons there, too, like Mega Man 3 and 4. Another DP member told me he found Action 52 for dirt cheap there, in good condition.

RIP Naples PnT.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

That's one thing that I've always found, the people working in Play N' Trade stores always seem to know what they're talking about, in comparison to GameStop employees who show off their ignorance every time they speak. I've never left a Play N' Trade store and thought, "I'll never shop there again".

This thread just reminded me to drive by the new Irving, TX location to see if they're open yet. Fingers crossed that they'll have some good stuff there (although I don't have much to spend, I ended up having my tires replaced this afternoon).

Edit: I just came back from there, they are open and have been for a week. They don't have any pre-NES era games which bums me out a bit, but they do have a decent selection of SNES games including stuff like Secret of Mana, Legend of Gaia, and Breath of Fire I and II on their loose cartridge shelf. A decent selection of NES games too, along with N64 (although I didn't bother looking through them) and a small selection of PS1 titles. No Dreamcast, the only Sega stuff they had were some Genesis commons, most of which they kept in a drawer behind the counter (!). It's a pretty nice little store, apparently run by an Indian family who's entire genetic line were working in the shop when I visited. It was a bit crowded behind the counter.
    Last edited by Steve W; 12-03-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I'm in Colorado Springs as well, I remember talking with the owner about why he was closing down and he was giving some pretty good deals on the stock near the end. If you don't mind me asking, what new independent game store are you talking about? I haven't seen any new shops recently
    The guy who runs the Game Shop inside at the Flea Market opened a store down in Widefield(I think just off of main st.).

Also, have you checked out the store in Monument? It is run by a couple of really nice guys. Both stores are well worth checking out. I have grabbed a ton of stuff from both of them. If you go to Monument, tell them Tom sent ya!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm dragging this thread back from the depths to ask anybody if they still have a Play N' Trade around them. I ask because all the locations in my area recently closed down. We've had several over the years, they usually don't last more than a couple years, although the one in Flower Mound seemed seemed fairly stable. The Play N' Trade website seems to be down, it makes me wonder if they've gone belly-up. I know they've kind of screwed over their licensors over the years, making them either go out of business or go independent. I wonder if they've finally driven everybody away from them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I'm dragging this thread back from the depths to ask anybody if they still have a Play N' Trade around them. I ask because all the locations in my area recently closed down. We've had several over the years, they usually don't last more than a couple years, although the one in Flower Mound seemed seemed fairly stable. The Play N' Trade website seems to be down, it makes me wonder if they've gone belly-up. I know they've kind of screwed over their licensors over the years, making them either go out of business or go independent. I wonder if they've finally driven everybody away from them.
    The Play N Trade in my area is still very much alive and doing good businesswise. It's also locally owned by a young man, which helps as he enjoys doing business. He almost sold it awhile back to go back to college, but backed out of it.