Thread: Need help with mario like games for wife

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need help with mario like games for wife

Ever since I bought a new Ice Blue DS lite in Japan last May I've barely had a chance to play it. My wife is on her umpteenth time going through New Super Mario Bros. and is getting tired of it at last. I attempted to buy her Mario Sunshine to play on the Wii but with that water pack and cleaning up the mud crap the game is just not fun. She got to the third stage or so but just gave up and doesn't want to play it anymore. I can't blame her since even I don't want to play it (and why does Mario look possessed in that game?).

How is Super Princess Peach on the DS? Does it compare at all to New Super Mario Bros? Or how about that Yoshi game? Any other suggestions?

Oh yeah she is also a big fan of the Bomberman games on the Gamecube but has already been through Generations and Jitters a few times.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Buy her the GBA Super Mario Advance releases for Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.

That would be my first suggestion.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Super Princess Peach is great - it's Mario in reverse - the princess does the saving. It plays a lot like the Mario games, but instead of fireballs and flying, Peach has rage (on fire) and joy (floating, going "whee!").

Sonic Rush is dirt cheap, and lots of fun. The special stages are like those in Sonic 2, but with the touch function.

Yoshi's Island DS is a fun platformer, and the crying is significantly less shrill than in its prequel on the SNES.

Bomberman Land Touch! has Wi-fi... and multiplayer is the best part of any Bomberman game. Period.
    The single-player mode is mini-game based.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Insert Coin (Level 0) UniHamachi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard raves about Super Paper Mario for the Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will heartily second Super Princess Peach. It was fun and really felt like it fit in the Mario platforming style, but it does offer some unique twists. Be a little wary of Yoshi's Island DS, because it has some really infurating stages (good game as long as she is not quick to anger though).
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if this is a good suggestion, but my sister in law has exactly the same issue. She had a DS-Lite and one single game, NSMB, that she beat over the course of months and got everything. She then got tired of it after playing it over and over.

Well, I gave her a bunch of games. And currently the one game that took to her fancy? The GBA version of Dr. Mario.

So I don't know if you want to try and pass that by her or not. Just saying what happened here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you tried Wario Ware: Touched for the DS. Its not easy to find in stores because its out of print, but you can pick a copy up on ebay or possibly in a Gamestop used.

Its one of the best uses of the DS touch screen as far as I'm concerned, and I had a lot of fun playing it recently.

Also, I don't know if this type of game would be up your wifes alley, but Hotel Dusk for DS is a mystery-noir type of game that is almost like reading a book with some problem solving. My wife absolutely loved the game and spent about 2 months playing it. I also played it and was able to beat it in about 2 months.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bet the Legend of Stafi games for the GBA and DS would go over well. They're fun platformers and really cute to boot. A little easy and you can't really tell what's going on because all the dialog is in Japanese, but it's still fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dskillz View Post
    I will heartily second Super Princess Peach. It was fun and really felt like it fit in the Mario platforming style, but it does offer some unique twists. Be a little wary of Yoshi's Island DS, because it has some really infurating stages (good game as long as she is not quick to anger though).
    Hahah my wife IS quick to anger! So I'll definately stay away from that one!

I found Super Princess Peach at a Target last weekend (three different gamestops had neither new or used copies!). Seems to be a winner!

I also got Super Mario World on the Wii VC and a classic controller. But she thinks thats too hard! Doh!

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Those japanese Yaoi date rape sims for pc are pretty cool.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy View Post
    Those japanese Yaoi date rape sims for pc are pretty cool.
    Meh, she's Japanese and bored of those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Try Harvest Moon or Kirby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

lots of games for the ds
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If she can read Japanese get all of the mario cutesy games I see advertised on TV here in Japan all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanon View Post
    If she can read Japanese get all of the mario cutesy games I see advertised on TV here in Japan all the time.
    Thats one plan for sure. We're going back in December and I'll definately hit up the Toys r us for some more DS games. I looove shopping in Japan.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I'm in the minority on this one, so don't take this as advice in your situation, but I really didn't like Super Princess Peach at all. I would love a good Mario-like platformer with Peach as the star, but Super Princess Peach just didn't feel like a solid platformer at all to me. The control was really floaty and collisions were imprecise and the emotions thing (aside from being totally sexist, which isn't necessarily a negative criticism, just a point) just didn't work well in my opinion. Overall, the game just didn't have the *QUALITY* of real Mario platformer or even one of the better third party platformers.

As for suggestions, I would definitely recommend Kirby Squeek Squad, that's a nice traditional platformer like New Super Mario Bros and very solid in my opinion. I criticize it for not doing enough to advance the Kirby series--it's even regressize in a lot of ways--but for someone new to the series, it would be a great game. Kirby Canvas Curse is even better, though not a traditional platformer. Super Mario 64 DS is also pretty good, not my favorite Mario game or even my favorite 3D platformer, personally, but it's certainly easy to get into fun to play also quite a lot better than the N64 version, I would say.

Ultimately, though, I don't think your wife will find anything as satisfying as New Super Mario Bros, unfortunately. That's a damn good game and in a league of its own. Super Mario World is close, though. If your wife puts some time into it to master the control, I think she'll love it. The control is very slippery and almost over-responsive, so it takes a while to get used to.

...word is bondage...