Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there no one that appreciates SOUL NOMAD like I do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Slicknick1213

Angry Is there no one that appreciates SOUL NOMAD like I do?

I am really upset at the moment. I just stopped playing Soul Nomad and The World Eaters so I could come on here and get this straightened out. How could someone play this game and NOT love it? How could so many people be reviewing it like it was a waste of time?

I'm not saying this is a perfect title. It has it's share of small issues. But the overall experience is truly, delicious gaming goodness. I'm a hardcore American but man, when it comes to games i'm starting to think we don't know shit. This looks to be another title that is gonna go undetected because we've got idiots out there that are knocking the game for not having mind blowing (or lame as hell...depending on how you look at it) 3D graphics. Continually saying its battle system is weak and overall gameplay is boring...did they even play the game?

The sprite work in this game is amazing. All of the animations, the wonderful palette of colors, the squad customization...it's just soo much fun. COMBO CENTRAL WITH 2D SPRITE ACTION!?!?! It doesn't get any better. I'm reminded of such hardcore classics like Dragon Force and Ogre Battle when I play this wonderful game....

Take a look at the reviews. The current average score is 71% on gamerankings. This is before the gamespot and IGN scores. (I sure hope they get it right) Am I crazy? Has anyone played SN besides me?
    Last edited by Nick; 10-03-2007 at 03:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have not heard of this one, what console?
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ps2, published by NIS America

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Slicknick1213

Talking

It's for the PS2. Heres a few screenshots for those that have never seen/heard of it. Note: some of the pics are in japanese. This was before it was translated and released in the US.

Last edited by Nick; 10-03-2007 at 06:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks a LOT like Disgaea. Gonna look into this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I've read that this game doesn't require level grinding (a la every other Nippon Ichi SRPG). That in itself sounds interesting, even though I love to grind if the game is fun.

There are simply too many great games out right now (or coming out soon) to warrant an immediate purchase. I will be picking this one up eventually. It's a Nippon Ichi PS2 game afterall...it's not like it will be hard to find.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

71% is not a bad score, and like you said it's not perfect. I caught the review on G4's X-play last night and one thing that caught my eye, actually my ear, was the annoying voiceovers, which X-Play was right in pointing out. (They recommend turning off the cut-scenes). They ended up giving it 3 out of 5 stars, again which is not bad and seems to be on par with what you have been seeing.

I am picking this up today as I like what I see. Keep in mind this seems to be a niche game and there will be plenty of people who will not like this type of game, hence the scores you are seeing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Slicknick1213

Interesting...I guess I understand what your saying but to me 71% is not a good score. The problems with this game might warrant a high 80's low 90's but thats it. We all have different tastes in games...maybe i'm just crazy for thinking this game is hilarious fun.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'm guessing you're looking at it like school grading and not as a balanced scale? If you're using a 1-10 or 1-100 scale, then 5 or 50 would be an average, run-of-the-mill game. A 7 or 70 would mean that it's BETTER than just okay, so that's a fair score for a good game.

Granted, not all publications score like that, but they SHOULD and using the system that schools use, which is designed for competency not quality, only hurts their credibility. I've said it once and I'll say it again, it's absurd to devote three quarters of the scale to described games that range from mediocre to poor. How many different numbers do you need to describe how much a game stinks?

Anyway, I think the game looks interesting and I'd like to give it a try. I wouldn't exactly call the graphics amazing, though. I mean, I love 2D and it IS a pretty game, but Nippon Ichi isn't exactly known for pushing the any boundaries with their graphics. I've seen better looking 2D on Saturn. I'm glad that some developers are keeping the 2D tradition alive, but it would be even nicer if they actually took advantage of the modern hardware to produce some truly amazing 2D. The progression of 2D graphics has largely been stagnant for the last 10 years.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm....

I read Play magazine. Their RPG reviews are often done by someone who appreciates RPG's too much and they always give them a score about a point higher than average -- it works for me.

There has been such a flood of excellent PS2 rpg's that I think it is tough for anything to distinguish itself. I think Oblivion really changes the way many people are looking at RPG's, though the MMORPG's may be affecting things as well. Look for reviews on some RPG fan sites (they are usually late to the party). They can give better perspective sometimes.

I believe the PSP rpg's are also being affected, though they aren't quite as good as what we see on the PS2.

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HOOOOLY SHIT! I just made a thread today, asking everyone for a list of stategy RPG games like Disgaea and what not, because I LOOOOOOVE Disgaea, Disgaea 2, Phantom Brave, La Pucelle: Tactics so now I gotta pick this one up.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

From my understanding, Soul Nomad plays more like Ogre Battle than the typical Fire Emblem/Shining Force inspired strategy RPGs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been asking in another thread about it, and I havent heard anything to terrible about this game, I cant wait to pick it up. If it's anything like Disgaea I'm sure I'll love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Slicknick1213

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'm guessing you're looking at it like school grading and not as a balanced scale? If you're using a 1-10 or 1-100 scale, then 5 or 50 would be an average, run-of-the-mill game. A 7 or 70 would mean that it's BETTER than just okay, so that's a fair score for a good game.

Granted, not all publications score like that, but they SHOULD and using the system that schools use, which is designed for competency not quality, only hurts their credibility. I've said it once and I'll say it again, it's absurd to devote three quarters of the scale to described games that range from mediocre to poor. How many different numbers do you need to describe how much a game stinks?

Anyway, I think the game looks interesting and I'd like to give it a try. I wouldn't exactly call the graphics amazing, though. I mean, I love 2D and it IS a pretty game, but Nippon Ichi isn't exactly known for pushing the any boundaries with their graphics. I've seen better looking 2D on Saturn. I'm glad that some developers are keeping the 2D tradition alive, but it would be even nicer if they actually took advantage of the modern hardware to produce some truly amazing 2D. The progression of 2D graphics has largely been stagnant for the last 10 years.

I think your right. I should not have said "amazing". The graphics aren't mind blowing...breakthrough etc but they definetely work well. From screenshots you can see the fuzziness in some character sprites but the animation of attacks are definetely high end. They obviously spent a hell of a lot of time working on the battle sequences. This is a game that is easy to deny just by looking at a still shot...but you have to appreciate it in action. As for reviews...I tend to not be a crazy graphics whore etc. The most important aspect of the game in my eyes..outweighing everything else BY FAR is the fun factor. This game is fun. It deserves high 80's easy. And i'm not sure I would go as far as saying there is better 2D on the saturn...i've played all of the greatest Saturn games of all time (Jap and US). But I definetely see your point and absolutely agree. They should be able to produce some amazing 2D with what they have to work with.

From my playing you can tell they examined or remembered such games as Ogre Battle, Advance Wars, and even some Dragon Force. (Which I totally loved)

This game is literally...what I expected in every way. I'd recommened people pick it up and play the hell out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was curious as to what score it got on gamespot.com, which is usually the only review site I ever check out for video games. It says it came out September 25, but it doesnt have a review I guess I'll have to check out IGN.com but for some reason I just dont trust those guys. I dont know why, anyway I'll go check it out, then fill everyone in on score it got.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had this on my want list since before it was released. I forgot all about it.

Of course, I am currently playing through such 0-day games such as Brave Fencer Musashi and Shadow of the Colossus, so it will take a while for me to get to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I purchased it on Friday. I'm surprise the EB clerk didn't even know this game was out and it was the only copy in store. I'm glad to pick it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Weird. I just checked my old want list and I have the game listed as Soul Cradle. I guess they changed the name for North America. No wonder I hadn't noticed it being released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Just a heads up on the strategy guide for Soul Nomad...

Doublejump Publishing wrote the guide and limited the printing to 5000. You can only buy it on their website. I have mixed feelings about this practice, but I love Doublejump. Call me a sucker all you want, but I bit. My guide should be here later this week.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Just a heads up on the strategy guide for Soul Nomad...

Doublejump Publishing wrote the guide and limited the printing to 5000. You can only buy it on their website. I have mixed feelings about this practice, but I love Doublejump. Call me a sucker all you want, but I bit. My guide should be here later this week.
    That's not exactly true. I happened to pick mine up at Game Crazy with my game, less the 20% discount when you buy the guide with the game.