0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Default Scrabble DS

I wasn't aware this game existed until I saw this amusing story at Joystiq:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/02/ub...n-scrabble-ds/

I went looking for the game at GameStop.com and Amazon and realized that it's (apparently) a UK only release. I love Scrabble and will have to own this if it has an online multiplayer feature. So, do any of you own this? If so, how is it? I need information!
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Yep, I've got it, and it's not bad- though a couple of very major niggles are:

a) you can't see all of the board at once. The top couple of lines are sheared off pretty much every game, you have to use the stylus to move it so you can see where you want to play.

b) every play has to be approved before it can be put on the board. May be good for some, but for a serious tournament player such as myself, it's not much cop as a practise tool.

Other than that, it is fun- be warned though as it uses the international lexicon only, no option to use the North American one at all- the 'career mode' is fairly enjoyable, despite the '5 minutes to beat a psychopathically hard computer' final game. To put it in perspective, it took myself and 2 of the best players in the country about 12 minutes to narrowly beat the same computer in a later game.

All this is kinda moot though as it's only got local multiplayer anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Nebagram,

I can deal with the scrolling board view and even the international lexicon, but no online multiplayer is just inexcusable. The game cries out for it. That is really a deal breaker for me unfortunately. If the game makes it stateside and somehow online multiplayer is included, I'll snatch it up asap; not much chance of that though I'd imagine.

Any idea how this version compares to the handful of GBA versions?
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

When compared to the GBA versions it pisses on them from a great height. Honestly, despite the scrolling issues with the board the stylus-based interface is a joy to behold. Simply tap your letters in order, then drag and drop onto the board (they'll even wrap round existing tiles automatically). L shoulder button toggles between vertical and horizontal. And as I nearly stated earlier, the AI's nice and varied too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can anyone suggest a good, reliable place that I can import a sealed copy of this from? I live in the United States, and would prefer to not use eBay for this.
    Feedback thread here

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As an aside, Scrabble Blast on the GBA is one of the greatest games available on the system. I suggest that anyone with an interest in word/puzzle games pick it up.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    As an aside, Scrabble Blast on the GBA is one of the greatest games available on the system. I suggest that anyone with an interest in word/puzzle games pick it up.
    It's not bad as a puzzle game, certainly, but there are a few flaws with it- a complete lack of adherence to the Scrabble lexicon being one of them (Zen? wtf!?). If you want a great word puzzle game, try downloading a game called spinword, made by Joyboost. Very nifty.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    It's not bad as a puzzle game, certainly, but there are a few flaws with it- a complete lack of adherence to the Scrabble lexicon being one of them (Zen? wtf!?). If you want a great word puzzle game, try downloading a game called spinword, made by Joyboost. Very nifty.
    Yeah, it's funny to me how certain words will rate a score and then it won't recognize other words (swears, slang terms, etc), but it's still pretty darn fun to play at the laundromat...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.