Thread: Anyone try Metroid Prime again after playing MP3?

Insert Coin (Level 0) UniHamachi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone try Metroid Prime again after playing MP3?

Having finished MP3 last week, I decided to bust out the original MP and have a go at it since I quit around 24% into the game. Here's what I noticed:

1) Anyone who says that MP3 has slightly upgraded or similar graphics is blind. MP looks muddy in comparison, and has more aliasing and I found some of the enemies difficult to distinguish from the background because of the low-res textures.

2) I have been spoiled by the Wii remote. The aiming and movement in MP3 is fricken' unbelieveable. MP feels strange, and not being able to look around with the remote while moving with the thumbstick flat out sucks. MP feels old fashioned and clumsy in comparison. Actually, I was mucking about in GoldenEye today, and that also feels clumsy and slow.

3) I don't know what the framerate is for MP, but it's probably 25-30fps with dips here and there. As a result, I had to quit early because I was getting nauseous. MP3 gave me nausea on occaision, but I basically had to stop playing MP before I threw up.

I know that MP gets raves and is usually the highest rated GCN game, but I don't know if I will ever start it up again.

I would consider MP3 GOTY just for the controls. It wipes its ass with dual analog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UniHamachi View Post
    2) I have been spoiled by the Wii remote. The aiming and movement in MP3 is fricken' unbelieveable. MP feels strange, and not being able to look around with the remote while moving with the thumbstick flat out sucks. MP feels old fashioned and clumsy in comparison. Actually, I was mucking about in GoldenEye today, and that also feels clumsy and slow.
    See, everyone who's ever played a first person anything with a mouse and keyboard has been saying the same thing for the past 5 years about Metroid Prime. It's funny that Nintendo and Retro intentionally used a different control scheme to try to differentiate it from a standard FPS, only to revert to something comparable to mouse+keyboard/dual analog with the third game in an attempt to be "innovative".

I'd love love LOVE to see Nintendo rerelease the first and second Metroid Prime games for Wii as a budget doublepack with the only change being the Metroid Prime 3 controls.

edit - oh, and I'm playing through Metroid Prime on the side right now (waiting for Half Life 2 Episode 2 to come out. 5 more days. Christ, I can't fucking wait) and I can't believe how great the game still looks. All of the little effects are great and I love the art style. My only beef with the graphics lies with the claustrophobic FOV; sure, it feels like you're wearing a helmet...but it also gives me a headache
    Last edited by roushimsx; 10-05-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Once again, I feel like I'm the only one who preferred Prime and Echoes' controls over Corruption.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have also tried the older MP games after beating MP3. I had already beaten the previous two, but going back to them was pretty painful. At least in Goldeneye you can look around and walk simultaneously. I would also really like to see a control-updated re-release, and I usually hate re-releases. Even a game like Halo 3 I think would benefit from a similar control scheme, were it that easy.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Insert Coin (Level 0) UniHamachi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would argue that the Wii remote and nunchuk combo is better than the mouse/keyboard because pointing to shoot is more immersive and it's difficult to play with a keyboard sitting on the couch. Complaints about quick turning are really game engine issues -- there is no reason why the setup couldn't facilitate a quick turn (or even just map it to button or waggle command).

Using a keyboard/mouse is fine for sitting at your desk, but for those who prefer console gaming and like to play on a big sreen TV on their couch, this truly is an innovation from Nintendo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UniHamachi View Post
    Using a keyboard/mouse is fine for sitting at your desk, but for those who prefer console gaming and like to play on a big sreen TV on their couch, this truly is an innovation from Nintendo.
    No doubt, for couch potato action, the MP3 controls are the way to go. I guess it really is relative to your location as to which would be better... I couldn't even imagine trying to play MP3 while sitting at a desk in an office / computer room for instance (where I do a lot of my gaming). Similarly, getting a kb+m set up comfortably while on a couch is a completely separate meta-game all by itself.

It'll be interesting trying to slide back into Metroid Prime after binging on Half Life for 2 weeks. Hopefully the transition won't be too rough and I'll be able to play through the rest of MP and all of MP2 without hurling my controller through the wall and into the neighbor's yard.

That'd suck having to retrieve the controller. You know, with all of the dog shit in my front yard from their puppy that apparently thinks that their yard is his playground and my yard is his toilet.