Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 40gb PS3 official... no backwards compatibility

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 40gb PS3 official... no backwards compatibility

Well I had been thinking about maybe getting one around Christmas but this just kind of kills it for me. Also only two USB ports and no memory card slots. I think I'd rather have a 20giger with its EE chip.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/05/40...tibility-at-a/

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

It would seem they have a bloody stump where their hypothetical foot once was.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So basically it's just a Blu-Ray player that plays PS3 games.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zemmix View Post
    Well I had been thinking about maybe getting one around Christmas but this just kind of kills it for me. Also only two USB ports and no memory card slots. I think I'd rather have a 20giger with its EE chip.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/05/40...tibility-at-a/
    This is the exact reason I bought my 60gb when they started talking about all this software BC stuff with the 80GB. It was only a matter of time before they dropped BC support entirely.

The PS2 library is one of the best in gaming history, and to not have that as a selling point when purchasing a new PS3 is just ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Quote Originally Posted by zemmix View Post
    Also only two USB ports...
    Because you know, those USB ports are danged expensive! That's what was driving up the cost!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems like they just want to fail...
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'd say this is one of the few times, if not the only time, I can say that I'm glad I bought mine when it first came out. They are trying to take all these wierd paths but it just isn't working very well for them.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So a george foremen grill that can't cook chicken, but burgers instead? Blasphemy!
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I absolutely do not agree with this move, there are several things to take into consideration.

A.) The Euro/Middle East/African/Australian regions have always had aggressively "different" marketing strategies than the US and Japan. Coupled with that Sony spent quite a bit of time and money on "market feedback" earlier this year (in which I participated in more than a few surveys) and while backwards compatibility is simply a MUST HAVE feature in some regions, it likely came back as low on the importance scale for consumers in those regions.

B.) This is potentially a way for them to continue to maintain the still high sales of PS2 units in those regions (as the hardware on the PS2's is likely at a cost where Sony actually profits per unit sold), the same way that I SUSPECT they are maintaining high sales for PS2 units in the US by crippling any potential attempts (by the actual developers or otherwise) for allowing the Guitar Hero games to be used/played on the PS3 (that franchise has easily maintained thousands and thousands of PS2's purchased over the past few years, and EVEN with the release of Guitar Hero III and it's PS3 compatible Guitar - GH 1 and 2 will still be completely incompatible with the PS3 hardware...now when the PS3 Sixaxis controller works with Guitar Hero I and II, that all but sounds like Sony TELLING the developers to go ahead and make a wireless controller, but don't allow it to work with your previous releases).

C.) Since PS2/PS1 BC in those regions is software based, there's no reason that they can't include it in a firmware upgrade for that region OR (more likely) sell it on the PSN Store for a premium price.

Again, stupid move by Sony, but I think they have their reasons, and possible routes out of that move if they need to.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So does this mean that they are eliminating backwards compatibility from ALL new consoles they make now, or just this 40GB version?

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    So does this mean that they are eliminating backwards compatibility from ALL new consoles they make now, or just this 40GB version?
    Just the 40GB I think.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDrive20XX View Post
    So a george foremen grill that can't cook chicken, but burgers instead? Blasphemy!
    Anbody remember this at all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Hates_You View Post

B.) This is potentially a way for them to continue to maintain the still high sales of PS2 units in those regions (as the hardware on the PS2's is likely at a cost where Sony actually profits per unit sold), the same way that I SUSPECT they are maintaining high sales for PS2 units .
    This is the best move they have made for the public that means the ps2 will continue to live for a while longer =D
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Hey, My Name is Sony PS3. I like to overhype things before they happen and then fail when they do occur. Not only that but I hate the past, its all about the FUTURE!!!! I also like to believe that I'm the greatest there was, is and ever will be. Oh and by the way, my best feature isn't my primary desgin. What I really can't understand is why I have no friends.

So how long before this one is discontinued?
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    Hey, My Name is Sony PS3. I like to overhype things before they happen and then fail when they do occur. Not only that but I hate the past, its all about the FUTURE!!!! I also like to believe that I'm the greatest there was, is and ever will be. Oh and by the way, my best feature isn't my primary desgin. What I really can't understand is why I have no friends.
    Heh, I said the same thing about the ps2.

20X more powerful than the Dreamcast my ass!
    ~Summit Wind

HAIL to the greatest advance in mass miscommunication that is The Internet!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    Hey, My Name is Sony PS3...

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My understanding is that while the European PS3s do contain software BC, the 40 gig won't be able to at all. And it is really simple. Just because the software emulation works on the 80gb model, the 80gb model has only been stripped of the emotion engine. Not the GPU. So even for the software compatibility to work the PS2's GPU must still exist in the hardware. The 40gb model will remove this GPU as well leaving it only a PS3 system. Without the EE and the PS2 GPU, it (PS3) apparently isn't powerful enough to emulate both functions of the PS2. So by removing the PS2 GPU, they can further cut costs.

One side of me sees why they are doing this and it makes sense. Basically they figure with sooo many PS2s out there, anyone that wants to play PS2 games should be able to just get a PS2 on the cheap to play them. And again, I can understand that point of view. But the other side remembers all the promise of BC with the PS3...and then you sorta feel like they should still offer it in some way right?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First i must say i'm suprised by all the negative comments here of this. A cheaper SKU with fewer functions, why the complaints? The 60GB (or 80GB to come) will still have all the functions that were avalible, so its not like you dont have a choice on what to buy. If backwards compability is important to you, just get the 60GB or 80GB model (or 20GB if you still can find it). Sure, it might suck, but still, i dont see the huge deal about it. The price difference between the 40GB and 60GB is only like $100. I dont know if that is ALOT of money in USA, but here its not really that much. Its still some money tho, but its not like you would be ruined if you use $100 here.

Speaking on general basis, i remember when 360 Core came, alot of people said it was so good with options, that you werent forced to buy stuff you didnt want and that you could choose etc. I wonder if any of those who said that is complaining about the 40GB PS3 SKU What if you dont want backward compability, memory card reader, 4 USB ports and maybe the most important thing of them all, the chrome strip hehe. Seriously tho, isnt it good with a new cheaper SKU then, so people can choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Hates_You View Post
    C.) Since PS2/PS1 BC in those regions is software based, there's no reason that they can't include it in a firmware upgrade for that region OR (more likely) sell it on the PSN Store for a premium price.
    There is a reason, sale point. If BC was included in the 40GB model, the only difference between the 40GB and 60GB/80GB model would be 20GB/60GB of HDD space, 2 USB ports, memory card reader and a chrome strip. I dont know if this is the reason, but it would make sense. Buying it through the PSN would also be a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by icbrkr View Post
    Because you know, those USB ports are danged expensive! That's what was driving up the cost!
    Even if they only save like, lets say $2 on each console by removing 2 USB ports they will save millions of dollars in the long run.

Speaking of USB ports on a console, what do you actually need 4 USB ports for? The PS2 has 2 USB ports. The only time that they've been used what i can remember is when my sister bought Singstar and played it a bit and for like 30 min to 1 hour testing another game where you could use the mic (dont remember the title, some futuristic adventure game or something i think). Except for that i cant remember that i've used the USB ports for anything. I know you can connect stuff to the PS3 like a external HDD etc. but how many of the complainers use 3 or 4 USB ports at the same time, and at all time? Isnt there anything that cant be unplugged if a USB port is needed?
    Last edited by jajaja; 10-05-2007 at 06:22 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

the ps3 is beggining to look like s1lence's avatar.

heres my opinions.
    retarded move. i think the 80gb is stupid too, software BC is nowhere near as good as hardware BC (see xbox on 360 and GC on wii). if it is a region thing they couldve just locked it out in that region's firmware.

the reason no one criticized (this much) the 360 core is cause the console wasnt gimped like these ps3s are. it was just lacking extra external features, the box itself was the same! if you wanted a wireless remote or HD you can buy it. i cant buy this ps3 an EE now can i?

in my view, the 60gb is still the best sku out there, too bad its running out. theres a small store near my house willing to sell me a 60gb new for 500 cash no tax, i might take them up on that now.

sony not only dropped the ball, its keep tripping on it and breaking its nose on the concrete floor for about 6 months now.