Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Default Why was Neo Geo slow-down okay?

I understand that slow-down is just a part of the Neo Geo experience but I'm wondering why games like Shock Troopers 2 got approval for release. Why did the developer release it that way? I'd have expected the developer would have considered it a priority to prevent slow-down. "We're going to put so much action on the screen that the action turns into molasses." I don't get that. Whatever extreme amount of action they were trying to get is ruined by the slow-down. There would be more action if they toned it down a little.
    Last edited by DeputyMoniker; 10-07-2007 at 11:49 PM.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Dissing the good ole' Neo Geo?

Last edited by BHvrd; 10-08-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I used to own that game and enjoyed it quite a bit, I don't remember noticing the slowdown, so I guess if it is really there than it didn't bother me at all. It not bothering me probably explains how it got released; it didn't bother many other people either. I wouldn't have sold it if I hadn't had so much money tied up in it, I definitely want to get it again someday.
    Last edited by Vectorman0; 10-08-2007 at 12:51 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

shock troopers is/was incredible! Sure slowdown sucks but then again in a cool way it tells you damn alot is going on! I guess. All I know is it didn't stop me from liking shock troopers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

I didn't say I don't like Shock Troopers.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker in a 2 1/2 year old thread View Post
    I can tell you that Shocktroopers 2nd Squad & Samurai Shodown 2 ARE a lot of fun! I highly reccomend both of them!
    There's my disclaimer.
    Now back to the slow-down. It gets really bad in 2 player and if you didn't notice it then you're either on barbiturates or you need counseling. You can't not notice it.
    it didn't bother many other people either.
    Why did you bother typing that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You mean the mighty 68000 processor was subject to slowdown? *gasp*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

What the fuck is wrong with discussing this? I hate it when this happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Man, don't start a negative thread about Neo Geo. Everybody knows that system is just like Mary Poppins, Practically Perfect in Every Way.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To tell the truth, I actually like slowdown on 2D games. Not only does it make the game easier when it gets too hard, but it also makes me feel good to be playing a game that's so awesome that the system can barely handle it. It feels like speeding excessively...
    I also feel the same way about sound chips being overworked (play SNES Smash TV to see what I mean) and sprite flicker (ie. countless NES games)...those "problems" are pleasing features to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it was bad programming (like stated above) quite like the SNES thing. Look at Metal Slug 2 and X. Both the same game (actually, X is more complex graphics wise) and 2 has some serious slowdown. A little tweak here and the and POOF! No slowdown in MSX.

BTW…I won’t bash you for stating a bad thing about the Neo. Although one of my favorite systems, I realize no system is perfect.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Why did you bother typing that?
    I forgot a "probably" and maybe a couple other words in there. I guess that's what I get when I try to add something I forgot to a post at 2AM.

There's nothing wrong with discussing it, I think you have a legitimate point/good question. Here's my answer I attempted to make: I still found it to be a great game. Assuming some others behind the game felt that way too, it would be a good explanation for how it got approval for release.
    Last edited by Vectorman0; 10-08-2007 at 06:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I find that the rampant slowdown in various Neo Geo titles makes them completely unplayable for me. It's one thing if a game is designed to have slowdown (see any number of shmups), but when it's a result of piss poor design then it irks the hell out of me.

I'm also not a fan of seizure inducing sprite flicker. Thankfully emulation can generally clean up both flicker and slowdown for most systems.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    I think it was bad programming (like stated above) quite like the SNES thing. Look at Metal Slug 2 and X. Both the same game (actually, X is more complex graphics wise) and 2 has some serious slowdown. A little tweak here and the and POOF! No slowdown in MSX.

BTW…I won’t bash you for stating a bad thing about the Neo. Although one of my favorite systems, I realize no system is perfect.
    You hit directly on the point I was going to raise. MS2 is still one of my favorites, but yes it is plagued with copious amounts of slowdown. I still prefer it over X, but that's just personal preference. Anyway, I agree no system is perfect, not even the mighty Neo, and it's one of my favorite systems.

As far as Shock Troopers 2, I didn't like it at all. I thought the original was a far better game in every respect. Made me wonder why they called it a sequel, it had nothing to do with the first one other than the genre and POV. The fact that it had such horrible slowdown was just the nail in the coffin for me.

In my opinion, it all depends on the player. For someone like me, slowdown is not exactly a dealbreaker, I'll play it through at least once. If I find the slowdown really kills the experience for me, then I'll dump it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
    I think it was bad programming (like stated above) quite like the SNES thing.
    I think it's the fact that it's a game running on a 68k-based console that has way too much shit flying around on the screen at once.

Shock Troopers gets pretty hectic. It's been awhile since I played it, but I remember it getting pretty gnarly, so the slowdown wouldn't shock me one bit.

It comes with the territory.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

at certain parts, I kind of like the slowdown. You know how if you beat a boss or something in say Metal Slug 2? and the dude starts blowing up and you get all sorts of metal chunks and explosions? I think slowdown gives it that victorious kinda slowmotion effect. Sometimes you see it in movies with explosions and stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

It was defenitely not a RAM issue, it was purely a processor speed issue. You can always OC your Neo to overcome the slowdown. I think stock is 10mhz and between 12-14mhz is when it runs really smooth.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To answer the original question I would pose one of my own, "was slowdown as big a deal back then as it would be now?" I can't recall the last time a current gen system I was playing on had slowdown, but I also don't remember there being slowdown on older systems. This is not to say there wasn't any, but were our standards different? There have been many times I've gone back to play SNES games and had slowdown that bugged the crap out of me. Yet I never remember them being a problem when I first played them years ago. I think the answer is that our standards have changed as to what is acceptable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by FlufflePuff View Post
    To answer the original question I would pose one of my own, "was slowdown as big a deal back then as it would be now?" I can't recall the last time a current gen system I was playing on had slowdown, but I also don't remember there being slowdown on older systems. This is not to say there wasn't any, but were our standards different? There have been many times I've gone back to play SNES games and had slowdown that bugged the crap out of me. Yet I never remember them being a problem when I first played them years ago. I think the answer is that our standards have changed as to what is acceptable.
    True but speaking for myself, I didn't mind slow-down back then because I didn't know what it was. I didn't know why it was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by kazuo View Post
    I think it's the fact that it's a game running on a 68k-based console that has way too much shit flying around on the screen at once.
    Exactly my point. Way too much shit flying around at once. That isn't a processor problem. It's a programming problem. That is unless processors are programming the games. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    I still found it to be a great game. Assuming some others behind the game felt that way too, it would be a good explanation for how it got approval for release.
    I think it's a great game too. I just think it's strange that so many games got to the point of "good enough" and poof...it's on the shelf. It's hard to say that the Neo suffered from poor quality control, I mean the artwork, action, controls...it offers some of the best gaming experiences available. And I'm not just saying that, if I want to get down on some bad ass gaming, the Neo always find itself hooked up again. That slow-down though, man. It isn't necessary. I just don't think there is any reason for it to have made it into the release. Someone should have said "Great job, guys! Fantastic! Now, do something about the slow-down and we're done."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    slow-down
    The term you're looking for is "bullet time."

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Some of us were already used to slowdowns in one way or another. Especially those of us who grew up with the NES.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic