Thread: component switch box ??

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default component switch box ??

I am looking for a switch box to hook up PS3, wii, 360, and PSP through component. I bought one from best buy but every time there was any kind of brightness on the screen, the whole screen would shake and get this wierd fuzzy line at the top of the screen. it only worked when it was set for 480P. I have an older model HD set too with only 2 component ins in the back. Can anybody recommend a switch box that works well? I bought the $20 Pelican one from Circuit City but I haven't tested it yet.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Pelican System Selector Pro. Best switchbox ever, but you'll need to hit eBay for it. 8 component ports.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about just using a universal component cable? My best buy has universal off brand component cables for $3. You can connect your ps3 or ps2, wii, and 360 all at the same time with no need to switch anything. Though those systems need to be very close to each other...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one of those $20 ones from Gamestop which is basically a rebranded Pelican one. I had my Wii and PS2 connected to it and it worked very well. But then I upgraded to a newer HDTV set, which has 2 component inputs on it and decided to just hook the Wii and PS2 directly into it. But when I did have them all on the selector it worked just fine with no difference in the pic quality that I could see.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have an old composite video switchbox, you can use those as well. Here is what you do, you put the green plug into the yellow plug, the red plug into the red plug and the blue plug into the white plug. Do the same thing at both connection points, and it will switch component signals perfectly fine. Of couse, this only works if you are doing the audio seperately via optical output or something.

But there isn't any need to pay extra for ones that have red, green and blue paint on them instead of yellow, red and white. They work exactly the same. Same thing with DVD players. I use component out on DVD players, but I use a standard composite cable, cause they are much cheaper. I just plug the yellow into green, red into red, and blue into white. Both sides. Works, like a charm. Why pay $19.99 for a generic component cable, when you can pay $5.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I bought the $20 Pelican one from Circuit City and I tested it last night. Works perfectly fine. Go figure I return the $45 one to buy a $20 one and the cheaper one is better in every way. I thought the saying went "you get what you pay for."