Thread: Any way to tell if new PS3's have EE chips or are BC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any way to tell if new PS3's have EE chips or are BC?

With the threat of the stripped down, 40GB systems replacing the the 60 & 80 GB ones, I'm actually thinking about getting a PS3 with backwards compatibility before it's too late. Is there any way to identify which systems are which though by looking at the UPC or SKU's on the box? I know the PSP's had different numbers on the box so you could tell which firmware you were getting but I don't know anything about PS3's though.

And are they *really* going to be discontinuing the older versions of the PS3 in all regions with this 40GB? Just seems stupid. Why can't they just have a more expensive model with the BC and extra features available? Like what MS does with the Elite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only people getting fucked with the 40GBs are the Euros and Aussies.
    All 80GBs lack the EE but they have strong software emulation.
    All 20GBs and 60GBs have the EE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    The only people getting fucked with the 40GBs are the Euros and Aussies.
    But wouldn't they bring the 40GBs to N. America eventually and get rid of the 60 + 80's? Doesn't really make sense that they'd phase 'em out in Europe and Australia but not the rest of the world.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

They'll show up eventually. Like they did when they didn't launch the 20Gigs in Europe, they eventually dropped them here. But there are still 60 gigs around so it's going to be a while.

There are 2 ways to tell new systems from the old. #1 will be model number on the system itself. #2 is going to also be a site of system thing. The 40gigs have 2 less USB ports (so only 2 instead of 4) in them.

I'd take a guess and say that the box is going to mention a lack of any kind of PS2 backwards compatability as well, but i'm not sure as i've not handled a PS3 box and looked to see any mention of BC on them or not.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    There are 2 ways to tell new systems from the old. #1 will be model number on the system itself. #2 is going to also be a site of system thing. The 40gigs have 2 less USB ports (so only 2 instead of 4) in them..

I don't think I'll have any problems spotting the stripped down models if or when they get released in N. America. My main issue is telling the the difference between the ones with the EE chips and the ones that use software emulation. But as of now, only the Motorstorm bundled PS3's use emulation, right?
    Last edited by norkusa; 10-11-2007 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    I'd take a guess and say that the box is going to mention a lack of any kind of PS2 backwards compatability as well, but i'm not sure as i've not handled a PS3 box and looked to see any mention of BC on them or not.
    The 60gb box listed compatible software on the back: ps1,ps2,cds,dvd,blu-ray etc.

There is a list of non-compatible items under that including the dual shock 1 and 2, ps1 and ps2 memory cards. So those lists will be updated when the 40gb is released.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DJGeki

What I don't understand is why they're ditching the BC in the 40GB model. What changed so significantly that they're not putting the software on the hard drive? Is there a security hole that they haven't disclosed? Something that allows for pirated software to be played from the hard drive?
    Listen to the CryptoCast via Digg
    Or head to www.cagames.com and hit the forums.
    Check out "Donk: Samurai Duck" in action on YouTube: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I don't think I'll have any problems spotting the stripped down models if or when they get released in N. America.
    Especially since it says right on the front of the box 20/40/60/80gb

My main issue is telling the the difference between the ones with the EE chips and the ones that use software emulation. But as of now, only the Motorstorm bundled PS3's use emulation, right?
    They all use some level of software emulation, it's just that the 80gbs have to emulate the Emotion Engine chip as well. They do it fairly well and there's some unexpected benefits in some games, as people have reported titles like Shadow of the Colossus to actually run a bit smoother than they did on the PS2/20/60gb.

Quote Originally Posted by DJGeki View Post
    What I don't understand is why they're ditching the BC in the 40GB model. What changed so significantly that they're not putting the software on the hard drive?
    They stripped out a few more chips that the backwards compatibility relied on and they don't want to spend the time or money on trying to extend the emulator's capability. They may be right that it's not worth the investment, but I still think it's kinda crummy.

If they wanted to strip out something worthless, cut out the wireless and the flash memory ports then sell officially branded accessories to readd those functions for the people that want them. Hell, Xbox360 owners are gullible enough to shell out $100 for a wireless adapter so why not follow Microsoft's lead? Sell it at $50 and appear generous in comparison (while still making shitloads of monies off of it)!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

all 60 and 20gb models have the EE.
    the 80 gb doesnt have EE but still backwards compatible (through software only)
    the 40gb will not sport any form of BC

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    If they wanted to strip out something worthless, cut out the wireless and the flash memory ports then sell officially branded accessories to readd those functions for the people that want them. Hell, Xbox360 owners are gullible enough to shell out $100 for a wireless adapter so why not follow Microsoft's lead? Sell it at $50 and appear generous in comparison (while still making shitloads of monies off of it)!
    wifi is close to free these days. it cost the end user barely 15-20 dollars to have it integrated into a laptop, which means it cost the company probably a couple dollars.

teh expensive stuff in the ps3 is the cpu, gpu, bluray and various other new chips we arent familiar with.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    PSX games will still work. Its only the PS2 games thats been removed from the BC. I guess its no problem to 100% software emulate PSX games + PSX games are being sold through PS Store, so this might might 2 reasons why PSX BC is kept =)

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I don't think I'll have any problems spotting the stripped down models if or when they get released in N. America. My main issue is telling the the difference between the ones with the EE chips and the ones that use software emulation. But as of now, only the Motorstorm bundled PS3's use emulation, right?
    Correct.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The 40 gb will still play PS1 games. It's just PS2 games that won't work.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wifi is close to free these days. it cost the end user barely 15-20 dollars to have it integrated into a laptop, which means it cost the company probably a couple dollars.
    USB is pretty much free these days but they're chopping off two ports (rightfully so..who the hell needs 4 usb ports on a PS3?). A couple of dollars across a couple million PS3 is like...a lot of money. At least if they remove the wireless, they can pull in some cash from people buying the officially licensed wifi attachment. Win-Win!

Sure, anyone with an ounce of tech savvy will realize it's a waste of money and will probably just get a second router to get a little WDS setup going at half the price (and have their 360, PS3, PS2, and Xbox all on the same router), but most people won't know any better and will gladly plunk the coin on an official adapter.