Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Gaming Podcasts.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Classic Gaming Podcasts.

I'm new to the whole podcast scene and have been enjoying listening to the 'retronauts' podcast.

Could anyone please recommend any other classic gaming podcasts that they think i might enjoy?

many thanks.

tmc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the Retronauts also, but they haven't updated in awhile.

Twitch Asylum is great. Lots of classic gaming content, and each episode they go in-depth on something, like id Software or the Apple II. Unfortunately, they haven't had a new podcast in over a year I think, but they are threatening to do a new one. I'm still wending my way through them, they're pretty long.

Gamebot Live is pretty much all classic content, but it's hard to listen to, content and quality wise. Everything is "awesome." And I think the main guy is doing the recording, and the other people are on Skype (?), which causes a delay, so it sounds like he's talking over them all the time. I like it for the classic stuff; thankfully it's a lot shorter than the other two podcasts. Their last new podcast was in the beginning of September.

Good luck.
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's also Retro Gaming Radio

http://www.retrogamingradio.com/

And there's also Coin-Op.TV Live every sunday night at 8pm

http://www.thestream.tv/
    My Arcade Collection - http://www.ggdb.com/Collectors/ViewMember.aspx?mid=394
    Southern California Classic Collectors (SC3) - http://www.sc3videogames.com/
    3DS: 5370-0932-2395
    Wii U: SysOp Miiverse: The_MCP
    PSN: shertz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll have to check out those last 2 links. I found Retronauts awhile back & enjoyed them greatly, but now I'm all caught up. It's been nearly 2 months since a new one! let's go guys!!! (& sorry, I dont really care for Jenn Frank.)

I also liked TeamFremont, esp. their "What Are You Playing?" short segment at the end of the p/c- used to be they went back to classics, now they go back to late last-gen or early current-gen games. Pity.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't found a single retrogaming podcast worth listening to. I think that finding truly quality podcasts is tough in general. Please post suggestions as they come up.

I spoke to the retrogaming radio guys at CGE and they said they had some philosophical bias against itunes and podcasting. They lost one listener in me because of that. I can't be bothered to listen on my computer or deal with some special circumstance. If it's not on itunes, I don't podcast it. I hope they go itunes/podcast soon! I would love to check them out.

Most podcasts with larger groups are too buddy buddy. I really like the cagcast from www.cheapassgamer.com, which is just two guys, not classic focussed.

I am amazed at how poorly schooled these guys are in retro. Then again, I'm coming from the collector's perspective, where David Crane remains a household name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, call me stupid, but I cant find where to d/l stuff on the retrogamingradio site. All I see are places to order DVD-ROMs, & it seems not many of the archived shows are downloadable.

EDIT: Figgered it out myself.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-14-2007 at 01:08 PM.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the coinop live link. I'll have to check that one out.
    www.MoorGames.com - Buy/Sell/Trade New & Used Video Games. Great place to deal with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Retrogaming Radio was better when 'Kidhype' Smith was producing the show. Since he passed away, the shows have started to suffer. This year, they've barely put out any new episodes. And Monroe hated the iPod and Podcasting for no other reason than it's become popular and he's a grouch. He's obviously never used an iPod and iTunes's Podcast function, otherwise he'd realize how nice it is. He'd get a hell of a lot more listeners, for a start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree w/ SteveW above after listening to a couple of the latest RetroRadio episodes. Man they're LONG & Monroe talks on & on, just ranting at times. Blahblahblah...I admit I skipped parts (a pinball segment, & a "must-hear" interview w/ a female rep. for Dragon's Lair seemed to be them just goofing w/ her- I dont know if they even discussed the game!)

One time his toddler son could be heard in the background, & Monroe pretty much says "he's the reason I can record today b/c he's home sick so deal w/ it". Another time you can hear A PLANE FLY OVER (mustve had his window open.)

The worst thing I heard was he had a younger cohort over & they alternated playing/commenting on an emulated NES CastleVania (Monroe sums it up as an average NES platformer, standard for the day.) I'm no big CV fan anyway but the whole thing came off as...meh. I used to do the same type of thing, had a friend over making goofy "radio shows" on tape & games going on in the background- IN MIDDLE SCHOOL. That's what that whole segment reminded me of.

So far, IMO very unprofessional & dull. I'll hear more tonight as something to get me through 3rd shift. Hell, I'll prob. end up listening to all eps since there's not much out there.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-14-2007 at 09:39 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) gamebotonline's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamebot Live

Hello!

This is Blake, one of the guys who makes the Gamebot Live podcast. We just posted two new episodes on iTunes including an Atari VCS 30th anniversary podcast. I was glad to see that our name came up in the Digital Press forums and if you guys have any ideas, suggestions or criticism that can make the show better, please email us at mail@gamebotonline.com. I do this is for fellow classic game fanatics and your feedback is the most important. To fergojisan: I am listening. Future episodes will address the issues you mentioned -with a priority of having less "awesome" (My entire vocabulary comes from reading NES boxes). Thanks for listening.

Blake

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Destructoid has a podcast titled Retro Force Go. I have been using it in place of Retronauts, it is quite good but a bit more slapdash (not as well informed). Here is hoping to the return of Jeremy Parish and true Retronaut goodness.
    Last edited by 2Dskillz; 10-15-2007 at 05:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for the reply's, i'll give some of them a go.

ps. it was a refreshing reply from gamebotonline - someone actually listening to critisism and stating that they'd address those issues is something very rare in webworld these days! retrobot - i'll certainly give you a listen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    He's obviously never used an iPod and iTunes's Podcast function, otherwise he'd realize how nice it is. He'd get a hell of a lot more listeners, for a start.
    I guess I don't understand.. Isn't a "podcast" just a friggin mp3? What's the difference?

Last I checked the shows were definitely in mp3 format....
    Last edited by NE146; 10-15-2007 at 03:37 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dreamcast's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    X_DarkFaction_X

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    I guess I don't understand.. Isn't a "podcast" just a friggin mp3? What's the difference?

Last I checked the shows were definitely in mp3 format....
    No. It's a MP4 Talk Show

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
    No. It's a MP4 Talk Show
    uhhh.. the direct link shows it's an mp3.

http://www.retrogamingradio.com/mp3/rgr2007-09-16.mp3

Or if you're talking about a "podcast" being an mp4.. same smell. Convert an mp3 to mp4 and vice versa. What's the difference? What makes one a "podcast" and the other not?

MP4 is both a video & audio format and if they're using that for a friggin talk show, at the end of the day, it's basically compressed audio.. ala an mp3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just d/led 5 Retro Force Go shows to listen to tonight. also d/led gamebotonline's Atari VCS 30th Annv show via Blake's link. Thanks!

Nowhere to go but up, after hearing retrogamingradio. Seems most of their older stuff is only available on their DVD-ROMs they're hawking.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-15-2007 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, at this point, the best podcasts I've heard so far:

1) Retronauts
    2) Retro Force GO! (a close 2nd)
    3) older TeamFremont before current systems came along
    4) Evil Avatar (they got off to a VERY rough start but got better)

Sorry, cant recommend gamebot, T-O-O S-L-O-W (sounds like they're lecturing a kindergarten class), & personally I cant handle the Southern drawl/dialect (not much you can do about that )

& I dont know where to begin describing what's wrong w/ retrogamingradio.com. The guy actually YAWNED TWICE IN MIDSENTENCE & his lip-smacking drives me crazy. I made it through a few shows & deleted the rest. Ugh.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-16-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) gamebotonline's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamebot Live

Hello,

This is Blake from Gamebot Live. Thanks for listening and thanks for the great feedback. To RJ: I am very interested in moving at a faster pace and cramming more info into the show. We have found that the more we cram in the less time there is for relaxed human banter that make podcasts unique. What does everyone else think? As for my accent, I could also try austrian, pirate, transylvanian or I could speak Tonto, but for some reason, the southern drawl is easiest to pull off. To tmc: Thanks! I am always listening. Please send any comments, criticism, what you want to hear, etc. to mail@gamebotonline.com. I encourage everyone reading to let us know any suggestions and ideas you have that will make the show better. Thanks again everyone!

Blake

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid View Post
    I spoke to the retrogaming radio guys at CGE and they said they had some philosophical bias against itunes and podcasting. They lost one listener in me because of that. I can't be bothered to listen on my computer or deal with some special circumstance. If it's not on itunes, I don't podcast it. I hope they go itunes/podcast soon! I would love to check them out.
    Just curious-three to possibly four clicks is "a special circumstance"? I follow the link I have in my bookmarks, click on the link to the latest show, click to download and if I want to hear it on the go I drag the file over to my Sansa player. But then maybe I'm just old fuddy duddy who does things "the old fashioned way" by downloading a talk show from an HTML link :P .

The whole podcast thing is about maintaining control, if I'm not mistaken. You can read some of the debate here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W
    Retrogaming Radio was better when 'Kidhype' Smith was producing the show. Since he passed away, the shows have started to suffer. This year, they've barely put out any new episodes.
    It's subjective. There's more hands in it now with more Hardware Flashbacks by a dedicated submitter along with the new Chasing the Chuckwagon bit for those in the collecting scene. Personally I see it more as "different" than under Bryan's producing. I'm liking it but whether you like it or not, that's up to you.

As for lack of shows, well there's Shane's new addition to the family and that takes a lot of time from making shows. Same thing is happening with Chris, Shane's partner in crime at Dual Screen Radio. Plus there was the CGE hiatus so there were no real new interviews to have. Since it's pretty much a hobby thing and the shows are provided FOR FREE (extra emphasis there to remind folks), I think he deserves some slack. Especially since he's been doing providing the gaming community with shows and interviews for what, eight years?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

YoshiM wrote: "and the shows are provided FOR FREE (extra emphasis there to remind folks)"

I knew we'd hear something like this before long. Some "free" is better than others. "Free" doesnt matter a bit when quality suffers.

And no, I never said I could do a better job, so please dont start w/ that.