Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic Gaming Podcasts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Just curious-three to possibly four clicks is "a special circumstance"? I follow the link I have in my bookmarks, click on the link to the latest show, click to download and if I want to hear it on the go I drag the file over to my Sansa player. But then maybe I'm just old fuddy duddy who does things "the old fashioned way" by downloading a talk show from an HTML link :P .

The whole podcast thing is about maintaining control, if I'm not mistaken. You can read some of the debate

Yeah, those 3 or 4 clicks and the time they take is something I simply don't have the time or attention span to deal with. I just want to plug in my ipod and let it sync and go. That's about all I have the energy to deal with. I'm busy, like most people I know. I also don't have time to play more than an hour of games a day if I'm lucky on a good week. And I don't watch TV or waste time otherwise. That's life for me. Consolidating this one little task makes it all feasible. I use itunes and an ipod, end of story. If it weren't for this, I wouldn't even listen to ipods, I'd still be listening to the Sirius Satellite feed. Which would be fine, but it's just not as fun as choosing your poison. You're talking to the guy who just doesn't have time to pirate stuff or set up bittorent. Too much trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid View Post
    Yeah, those 3 or 4 clicks and the time they take is something I simply don't have the time or attention span to deal with. I just want to plug in my ipod and let it sync and go. That's about all I have the energy to deal with. I'm busy, like most people I know. I also don't have time to play more than an hour of games a day if I'm lucky on a good week. And I don't watch TV or waste time otherwise. That's life for me. Consolidating this one little task makes it all feasible. I use itunes and an ipod, end of story. If it weren't for this, I wouldn't even listen to ipods, I'd still be listening to the Sirius Satellite feed. Which would be fine, but it's just not as fun as choosing your poison. You're talking to the guy who just doesn't have time to pirate stuff or set up bittorent. Too much trouble.
    So, let me get this right.....you don't have time to copy the RSS URL, paste it into the "Subrscribe to Podcast...." option in iTunes, thereby allowing the podcast to update automatically in iTunes?

Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW View Post
    thereby allowing the podcast to update automatically in iTunes?
    People use iTunes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    People use iTunes?
    I do. I tried several other "podcast receivers," but I found no other was as easy to use as iTunes for updating my favorite podcasts and downloading them automatically.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love RetroGamingRadio. Sometimes certain segments go on a bit, but overall it's an entertaining and interesting show. I don't want to put words in Shane's mouth, but I think the idea is that he'd rather have a community where listeners GO to his site, not just grab the podcast remotely and run, never visiting or contributing. I can see why some people don't want to bother, that's totally understandable. To me it's not a big deal, as I like the RGR forums anyways. I also like checking for new episodes - when they hit it's exciting! Shane is very opinionated, and I don't always agree with him (especially with some of his older episode's rants), but it's a quality show. He does fun interviews, and the flashbacks are fantastic.

Compare RGR's c64 hardware flashback, for example, to Retronaut's SMS flashback. It's not even close. The Retronaut guys didn't even freaking OWN SMS's back in the day, and the show was a complete joke. They know anything about any of the games, and they didn't know anything about the hardware. I stopped listening to them right then and there. With the RGR c64 flashback, I learned a TON of stuff I didn't know, and I've been a c64 fan for over 20 years. My problem with Retronauts is that most of the hosts I've heard didn't know anything about gaming pre-1990, let alone pre-crash gaming. Just my 2c.

This is a great thread, though, I'm always up for finding new classic gaming podcasts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If somone (a website, post, etc) is going to spell it out for me, great. Thanks! But if it's going to take me 10 minutes a day, pass. So I'll see if I can figure that option out in itunes. It's pretty obvious that I'd rather just d/l it thru itunes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    People use iTunes?
    One or two. The whole iTunes/iPod thing has been pretty much a flop though. Sell that Apple stock now, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid View Post
    If somone (a website, post, etc) is going to spell it out for me, great. Thanks! But if it's going to take me 10 minutes a day, pass. So I'll see if I can figure that option out in itunes. It's pretty obvious that I'd rather just d/l it thru itunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW View Post
    So, let me get this right.....you don't have time to copy the RSS URL, paste it into the "Subrscribe to Podcast...." option in iTunes, thereby allowing the podcast to update automatically in iTunes?
    There's your answer. You can subscribe to any RSS-based podcast through iTunes.

Anyway, I bumped this up because I just started checking out Retronauts. Great stuff--to me, a podcast's quality is directly proportional to its production values. So many retro gaming podcasts either have shoddy editing or recording equipment, and with any of the 1Up podcasts you usually get great results on both ends. The guys (and girl) on there are pretty informative too; of course as retro enthusiasts much of the history stuff is old news to people who frequent these forums, but I like hearing the reviews of classic games and VC/XBLA releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Good Game on ABC in Australia is now podcasting.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where's the retro stuff on goodgame? There's a "guess the retro game"...

Isnt this topic "Classic Gaming podcasts"?
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

That is true, mostly new game reviews on Goodgame, but they do talk about classics a bit too. Both hosts are big classic gamers which you can see by their bios.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So if I wanted to hear classic gaming talk, how much time would I waste listening to their current-gen gaming talk?

I'm d/l their 1st few earliest podcast episodes to check them out. Man their wmv files take a LONG time!

So far I've discovered 3 ingredients of a good podcast:

1) knowledgeable talent/members: know what you're doing & talking about
    2) try to be professional (have a flow & dont try to outtalk or overtalk others on the show, Retronauts does it A LOT)
    3) a female helps (pref. non-annoying)
    Last edited by RJ; 12-21-2007 at 11:57 PM.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I'm in the middle of the 3rd Goodgame show I d/l'ed (hey! there's video!) VERY little classic content so far. The short segment I did see they seemed to be poking fun at it.

They just had a semi-interesting story on Japanese gamers/gaming. I'll watch a few more here & there but wont spend much more time on it. I wouldnt watch this for classic gaming info- it's very few & far between- almost nonexistent.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-23-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) gamebotonline's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorites in order are Retroforce Go!, RetrogamingRadio and unfortunately Retronauts. The truth is there just aren't many out there. Considering there is a bottomless pit of current game podcasts it's a shame there aren't more clasic podcasts out there. We started the Gamebot Live podcast almost as a response to my disappointment in Retronauts (the first classic podcast I listened to). While we're on the subject, does anyone know if Digital Press has considered making a podcast? If it included just a few of the subjects I've seen in the forums, it would rock. Also-are there any mp3s of classic game expo guest speakers available for download anywhere? I downloaded several a few years ago, is there anything newer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been thinking about that, but none of the principals has time, I'd bet. I'd like to get Sean Kelly, John Hardie, and Joe Santulli talking about stuff on Skype, which would always be entertaining. But doing that kind of thing regularly would be just about impossible.

For podcasts, production is key, along with not involving too many people. If you have more than 4 it's too hard to keep track of who anyone is. And then if the production isn't good and you don't get good microphones it interferes with the experience. No way I have time to get that going regularly. And everyone has to work hard to keep the 'um uh' factor out.

Insert Coin (Level 0) gamebotonline's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I have had a hard time making timely podcasts with peoples schedules and all. I think, however, digital press fans would take whatever they could get. I personally would love it if you guys put all the audio recorded at Atari programmer panels, Activision panels, other CGE stuff, etc. on iTunes. Thanks for the podcast advice too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Found one over at www.vgpub.com. They start out very short- under 1 hr but newer eps. go 1 hr+. They got a rough start (& said so), I only heard shows that appealed to me. Despite some awful mispronunciations ("GaLAYga", Atari "Jag-wire") the later eps. are halfway decent. You can almost hear it transform from a Beavis & Butthead thing to the talent becoming comfortable w/ themselves (though one guy's voice has been cracking since ep.#2 ) In one retro episode, they also said "NESS" & "SNESS" which drives me up the wall.

The ep. where they review Dungeon Siege & King of Kong movies is pretty entertaining.

EDIT: OK, I just read a review of World Series Baseball 96 (Gen) over at gamefaqs, the reviewer is one of the guys over at vgpub. He starts every paragraph w/ a positive remark about the game, calls it amazing, great, pure joy, & ends up giving it 6/10.. 4 pts off for "no major changes"? IT'S BASEBALL! Remind me not to trust their reviews.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gene...ew/R19546.html
    Last edited by RJ; 03-17-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My list (so far)
    Retroforce GO! (www.retroforcego.com)
    Sega Nerds (http://www.seganerds.com/)
    Front Row Crew aka Geek Nights (on Tues. http://www.frontrowcrew.com/)

Anymore let me know, also who is going to make a master list, I like those for easy searching...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Desperately want a classice-gaming video podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by tcv View Post
    Desperately want a classice-gaming video podcast.
    I was just thinking the same thing. Someone needs to do it like AVGN, intersplicing live cuts of the host with narrated portions of the game. I'd pay money to see a well-produced daily classic game review of the day video podcast.