Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: would you sell your collection if......

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default would you sell your collection if......

A lot of times some of us run into hard times as far as cash, living arrangements and other various set backs in life. Sometimes we are in desperate need for cash or a car, or a place to live, etc. Now most of us collectors don't want to sell our collection or even portions of our collection. If you found yourself in a rut like needin a new car or something like that, would you bite the bullet and sell what you wish you could keep? or would you find other means of funds (this is if you already have a job but still need more money.) Or have you actually had to sell off part of your collection for similar emergencies? You don't have to go into detail about your personal matters if you don't want, I'm just looking for people who have/would turn to selling a bunch of thier collection even if they didn't want to. I have not had to yet but my car is starting to die and was conidering downsizing a little bit to afford a new one. (no this isn't a to sell or not to sell thread).

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

I've had to do that before. But I just end up buying back the stuff I sold.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i thought about it. but i guess i cannot
    OWNER: http://www.sealedvideogames.net
    My Rpg Collection
    Always looking for FACTORY SEALED snes and sega and psx RPG's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Most things can be bought again. Often at lower prices or in better condition. No bid deal selling these types of things. One of kind items are tougher to sell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Fortunately, I haven't yet had such a need arise. But if push came to shove, then yes, I could easily sell off my entire collection and content myself with console gaming henceforth via emulation. As a family man, one's priorities can not lie foremost with material items. Or to put it in less flowery terms: My kids can't eat carts and discs.
    Last edited by Pantechnicon; 10-15-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

I could sell the US stuff, maybe if I had to. But never my import stuff.
    SEGA!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Terminusvitae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Aoif3edieqwdf

I've had to do this on numerous occasions, unfortunately. Thanks to my recent years of precious-metals-dealing, though, it's becoming increasingly unlikely that I'll need to do so again.

*crosses fingers*

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was in a pickle about two years ago, I needed a place to stay. So what I did was sold off all my doubles but that was it, I still didnt have enough money to get an apartment. I bit the bullet and lived in my car for three weeks until I made enough money at work to get a place. So the answer is no I wont sell off my video game collection. I've been working on it nearly six years and I'm not about to flush any of it down the drain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm slowly sacrificing loose carts and saving it towards buying other games on the same system complete. It's certainly not a dire moment for cash however I'd prefer to get rid of things I don't care as much for and get what I really want. I've been showing this tendency for a few months now and it freaked out a friend of 4 years because he's never heard me say "sell a game to get rid of it" before. He expected me to just keep buying forever and actually begin to pick more stuff up until I burried myself in my room and die from a collapse. Of course my game collection isn't nearly the size as others but he doesn't understand the whole "gotta buy a bunch of games I've never played" thing.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    Fortunately, I haven't yet had such a need arise. But if push came to shove, then yes, I could easily sell off my entire collection and content myself with console gaming henceforth via emulation. As a family man, one's priorities can not lie foremost with material items. Or to put it in less flowery terms: My kids can't eat carts and discs.
    Well said. My kids also cannot eat carts and discs. What's wrong with these darn kids today anyways?.....I think if I DID ever sell off anything, I'd probably end up buying it back when the situation improved, but maybe not everything. I like to think I 'd be a little pickier as to what I'd buy/collect for.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm with the fathers on this point. I think if it came down to it I would sell off my collection and just have to deal with it but I can think of alot of other things I can sell off before I sell the collection but just for WOW factor, yeah I could do it and not think twice about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I've got about 350 extra games and 25 systems, so if I ever need money, I'll set up an eBay account and sell them off. If that wasn't enough, I'd sell off games that I don't have the system for and of that still wasn't enough, then I'd go for games I don't like or play. And if that's still not enough money, then I must have gotten into some serious trouble...

Insert Coin (Level 0) steeniekins's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It'd be hard.
    I'm proud of my still-growing 83game collection.
    I'm currently a collage student and working part-time, and still living at home.
    So I don't see a reason yet. I'd probably only sell my brother's NHL07 and gran turismos he left here when he left. HAHA and possibly my Xbox (the first one) But never my 64, SNES and PS1/PS2 games, etc. They are my children. I threaten my parents whenever they have a garage sale that if they touch my games they will lose a finger for each one sold. I think of them like antique jewelry. Stupid I know, but that's how I am.
    Games I currently REALLY want:
    Monster Rancher 1 and 2 for PS1
    Valkyrie Profile for PS1

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default would you sell your collection if......

Yes...

I'd try to hold on to a few things that I mainly play but everything else can go.
    Right now I play online games mainly..I'd keep the 360s,PS3,Wii and my Arcade Machines.

When I got into Pocketbike/Mini Moto GP Racing..I didn't have the loot to invest in the more expensive over $1000.00 bikes so I sold off a bunch of gaming stuff that I piled up through the years to sell on ebay.
    You could say that stuff was part of my collection but I call it gaming stock..
    Do I regret it,hell no..I'm having a blast racing these little bikes and I really needed to get rid of somethings.
    I don't miss any of it...
    My wife said to me the other day while I was
    rearranging the storage unit"you have a lot of gaming stuff here that,wouldn't you rather have home."
    I said No..With the Baby coming no......I could care less about this crap..I'd be better off someone just come unload the damn place.

Right now I'm considering selling two of my Arcade machines that I never use..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    Sometimes i think mine do, hehe.
    www.MoorGames.com - Buy/Sell/Trade New & Used Video Games. Great place to deal with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A guy I used to know sold off his entire collection for $100k.

No joke.

If my collection was anything like his, and someone offered me $100k for it in one shot, TAKE IT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by kazuo View Post
    A guy I used to know sold off his entire collection for $100k.

No joke.

If my collection was anything like his, and someone offered me $100k for it in one shot, TAKE IT.
    I'd love to know more about this. Even Will Somerack didn't get 100k when he sold off his collection which contain close to mint complete copies of almost every Atari,Colecovision and NES game ever made.

I would be tempted to sell my collection in one shot if I thought there was a buyer with the funds.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would I sell if i had the need? Well, I sold my whole collection over the last year with no specific need to at all. I realised it took up a lot of space, cluttered the place up, I didn't really play any of the games any more anyway, and I figured I would rather have the money.

I suppose at the back of my mind is also the fact that I would like to buy a house some day and I don't know anywhere that will take rare Megadrive games as a deposit. Having sold up, and saved up I now have something almost approaching a decent deposit (as long as I move out of London, that is ...)

Plus I have a lot mroe space. I don't miss any of it really. I kept a Saturn and 10 jopypads in order to play multiplayer Bomberman and Death Tank Zwei if & when I feel like it. That's it - and I am more than happy with that.
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steeniekins View Post
    I'm currently a collage student and working part-time, and still living at home.
    So I don't see a reason yet.

hilarious

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just passed through a rather dire situation....

I kept the games.

I just acted as if I had nothing in the world..... I wondered where my next meal was coming from.... even though I had rare games sitting next to me.

Weathered that shit.... now I've got cash again.... and my collection is intact!