Thread: sega 3d glasses

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default sega 3d glasses

hey all...

just got 15 new sega master system games in today, and a few were 3d games. I got the glasses in today too.

However they do not seem to work on my LCD television. I do not get a 3d effect, however i do notice a change when i put the adapter into the card slot compared to when it is not in the slot.

is there a problem with the 3d glasses when using an LCD tv? I can't get my light gun to register either... about to try both on my CRT tv tonight.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, your CRT TV should work with all 3D and Light Phaser games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure about the glasses, but I know that the gun will not work with an LCD TV. Hadn't really thought about the glasses, good thing I didn't buy that pair I saw.

JY

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, my 3D glasses do not work, I just tried them on my CRT tv. The 3D items appear to be "double". I tried taking the connector in and out of the cartridge slot. My Sega card games (Ghost House, Transbot, Spy vs Spy) all work on the card slot. But the 3D glasses give me a double image on characters and text. The guy from Ebay said they were tested and "work great." Do the glasses work using RF cables, or do I need the RCA adapter? I'm getting my $50 back... disappointed, man.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn that sucks :/
    www.MoorGames.com - Buy/Sell/Trade New & Used Video Games. Great place to deal with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lspear76 View Post
    Man, my 3D glasses do not work, I just tried them on my CRT tv. The 3D items appear to be "double". I tried taking the connector in and out of the cartridge slot. My Sega card games (Ghost House, Transbot, Spy vs Spy) all work on the card slot. But the 3D glasses give me a double image on characters and text. The guy from Ebay said they were tested and "work great." Do the glasses work using RF cables, or do I need the RCA adapter? I'm getting my $50 back... disappointed, man.
    Try cleaning all of the connectors thoroughly, including the phono plug and jack, with q-tips and alcohol. For the card slot, fold a piece of thin cardboard in half and slide it in and out of the slot if you don't have a proper cleaner. Check that the connections are dry and try again after assuring that all connections are solid. Sometimes you also need to play with the connection between the wire from the glasses and the adapter.

Mine work fine, but the above worked well with a friend's well-used set. Enjoy the 3D! My fave of all the games is actually Missile Defense 3-D. Maze Hunter 3-D is a close second. The games are very dated now, and the effect is a flicker festival, but it is definitely a worthwhile experience. The Famicom 3D goggles are cool too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scrimble
    PSN
    Scrimble

Did you try moving the plug from the glasses around the jack on the card adapter? Sometimes it becomes loose and doesn't make contact with the plug. I've had to get inside and solder that jack back into place.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can confirm that the glasses are working correctly by looking at a steady light source like a light bulb and closing one eye. You should see the light rapidly flashing. Try with your other eye, too.

Personally, I found that the Master System 3-D glasses just never worked for me. It wasn't any technical problem, it was just that my brain didn't accept the illusion. I remember we had a long discussion about this on Usenet once and a number of other people said the same thing.

...word is bondage...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did a Google groups search and found something interesting that I would have never thought of... my TV is a 30" Sony HDTV CRT -- and it was set to progressive mode, ruining the 3D effect. I switched over to interlace and the lettering is now clear and the 3D is "better", although something still doesn't seem right. How great is the 3D effect? Back in '87 I remember it being so great, and I just played Maze Hunter and Zaxxon and it just doesn't seem quite right, like some small areas are still too blurry instead of everything coming together.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    You can confirm that the glasses are working correctly by looking at a steady light source like a light bulb and closing one eye. You should see the light rapidly flashing. Try with your other eye, too.

Personally, I found that the Master System 3-D glasses just never worked for me. It wasn't any technical problem, it was just that my brain didn't accept the illusion. I remember we had a long discussion about this on Usenet once and a number of other people said the same thing.

...word is bondage...
    I did "the test" and the light bulb is flashing quickly when I close either eye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

I actually just addressed this concern in this thread:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...19&postcount=8

The problem is that the television is too big. Throw them onto a smaller tube and the effect will still be amazing. These games were designed in a time when the biggest television wasn't over 25". Now I'm sure they wouldn't have used such a rudimentary vector displacement method to create the double vision, but it is what it is, and to get that "is" you have to view it on a smaller television. The glasses are fine, it's the TV that's not.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lspear76 View Post
    I did a Google groups search and found something interesting that I would have never thought of... my TV is a 30" Sony HDTV CRT -- and it was set to progressive mode, ruining the 3D effect. I switched over to interlace and the lettering is now clear and the 3D is "better", although something still doesn't seem right. How great is the 3D effect? Back in '87 I remember it being so great, and I just played Maze Hunter and Zaxxon and it just doesn't seem quite right, like some small areas are still too blurry instead of everything coming together.
    I have a similar Sony Hi-Scan CRT TV, and whether I set it to progressive or interlace, neither the light gun games nor the 3D glasses games work on it. I know the games worked on my older Magnavox 30" TV from the early 90's.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by grolt View Post
    I actually just addressed this concern in this thread:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...19&postcount=8

The problem is that the television is too big. Throw them onto a smaller tube and the effect will still be amazing. These games were designed in a time when the biggest television wasn't over 25". Now I'm sure they wouldn't have used such a rudimentary vector displacement method to create the double vision, but it is what it is, and to get that "is" you have to view it on a smaller television. The glasses are fine, it's the TV that's not.
    I'll second Grolt on that.

I've tried the 3D glasses on larger CRT sets, and the overall 3D effect is rather strained / weak.

If you have a CRT set that's under 25" give it a try on that, and you might want to lower external light sources in the room.

And, if you're planning on playing for more than 15 minutes, stock up on Excedrin and expect a mild headache.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SMS 3D headset with HDTV

I am willing to bet that the problem people are having with viewing the ghosting images on HDTV sets is not due to the size of the set (although that may also be an issue) but the fact that the HDTV is set to display a progressive image.

The way the SMS 3D Glasses work is that one eyepiece is shut while the correct interlaced field is drawn for the opposite eyepiece. For example, the right eye is shut for 1/60th second while the image for the left eye is drawn, then the left eye is shut for 1/60th of a second while the image for the right eye is drawn.

The problem happens when you are viewing the images on a progressive scan screen where both fields are drawn simultaneously in a single frame. Hence the ghosting, you're getting the images for both eyes at the same time.

I'm willing to bet grolt's 21" television was not displaying a progressive scan image, hence the 3D effect worked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The timing is better on some games than others, too. On plain old NTSC TV's, Zaxxon 3D looks bad to me, but Maze Hunter looks good. Zaxxon has the ghosting issue, like the programming is slightly out of sync. I had the 3D glasses "back in the day" and noticed this on our 25" Zenith set.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    The timing is better on some games than others, too. On plain old NTSC TV's, Zaxxon 3D looks bad to me, but Maze Hunter looks good. Zaxxon has the ghosting issue, like the programming is slightly out of sync. I had the 3D glasses "back in the day" and noticed this on our 25" Zenith set.
    It's not just a matter of programming or what kind of TV you use, there's a psycho-physiological issue. The 3D effect used in the Master System works best when you're looking directly at the sprite that's getting the 3D treatment, like in Maze Hunter or Missile Defense (when you're looking right at the missile), but when the 3D objects are more peripheral to our vision the effect tends to dissolve, which is the problem in Zaxxon. Some people seem to be able to relax their vision in a way that makes the 3D effect work well, while others have a more directed focus that almost entirely kills the 3D effect. Most people are probably somewhere in the middle, of course.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I know is that I see 3 of each object in Zaxxon, and only 1 in Maze Hunter. To me that says the programming sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Seconded. I have a good number of the Famicom 3-D games, and Falsion is the only one that doesn't work for me on my 19" TV.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

All I know is that I see 3 of each object in Zaxxon, and only 1 in Maze Hunter. To me that says the programming sucks.
    Well, I see one of each in both games. To me that says your eyesight sucks.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have 3 eyeballs, you insensitive clod!