Thread: Nintendo Cracks Down on Copying Devices [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Nintendo Cracks Down on Copying Devices [Slashdot]

Adrian Lopez writes "Nintendo is cracking down on mod chips and copying devices with the help of the Hong Kong government. 'The Hong Kong High Court has intervened, at Nintendo's request, to help stop a global distribution operation involving game copying devices and modification chips that violate the copyrights and trademarks of Nintendo DS and Wii. On Oct. 8th, the court ordered the raid of Supreme Factory Limited facilities, through which Nintendo representatives seized more than 10,000 game copying devices and mod chips over the course of three days. The devices seized are used to copy and play Nintendo DS games offered unlawfully over the Internet, and the mod chips allow the play of pirated Wii discs or illegal copies of downloaded Nintendo games.'"Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    </img>

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First thought upon reading the thread title: "Thank god I already have a Super Wildcard DX2"
    First thought upon reading the post: "Thank god I already have an EZ Flash V"

They've gotta do what they've gotta do, and it's hard for most people to justify a legitimate need for a flash cart. It is nice to be able to not need to carry multiple carts with you when you travel and be able to back up your save games, but at the same time, the people that do have a legitimate use for the carts are grossly outnumbered by the people that just want "free gamez".

Oh well, nothing new.

Insert Coin (Level 0) sickgnarlymn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    sick gnarly mn

Hmm, what ever happened the classic copying systems? I am talking about SNES game copying. Gamars Super Disk FC-301 was never released in the U.S. due to it being straight up illegal. However, if you search online for this system, there is one legit link, and that talks about the Gamars and the specs of it, thats it.

Thus, I am sitting here thinking, "I have a Gamars sitting in my room as we speak that still works perfectly. The original copying system that copied SNES games to floppy disks and allow you to play them is chilling up on my desk, yet, it doesn't even get the credit it deserves. What would something like this be worth?"

Well heres the link to the my friends Ebay page, in which I am selling this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Gamars-Super-Dis...QQcmdZViewItem

Now heres the thing, I called Nintendo, and they don't even have this product on record. I asked the representative if there is anyone else that has a working one, and he said chances are slim to none. He told me its worth a lot more than I think, but I still don't know what I think lol.

Anyone want to buy it or got an information on this?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kyuusaku could probably tell you everything about that Gamars system. I mostly see him on the tototek boards.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sickgnarlymn View Post
    I called Nintendo, and they don't even have this product on record.
    Why would they have it on record if they never released it?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm shocked that the Nintendo rep told you the thing's worth anything at all, lol. Must've been in a good mood.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    sick gnarly mn

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Lol. They have a list of all systems/mods/games/etc. that have been released, apparantly. I really think the dude I talked to was just talking through his teeth, so IDK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They have a list of all systems/mods/games/etc. that have been released, apparantly.
    We've seen it. I remember that one of their lists wasn't complete for even approved (Seal of QUALITY!!1) games, and they won't list pirates and "illegal" devices, naturally.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Hmm, what ever happened the classic copying systems? I am talking about SNES game copying. Gamars Super Disk FC-301 was never released in the U.S. due to it being straight up illegal. However, if you search online for this system, there is one legit link, and that talks about the Gamars and the specs of it, thats it.

Thus, I am sitting here thinking, "I have a Gamars sitting in my room as we speak that still works perfectly. The original copying system that copied SNES games to floppy disks and allow you to play them is chilling up on my desk, yet, it doesn't even get the credit it deserves. What would something like this be worth?"

Now heres the thing, I called Nintendo, and they don't even have this product on record. I asked the representative if there is anyone else that has a working one, and he said chances are slim to none. He told me its worth a lot more than I think, but I still don't know what I think lol.

its not that rare... there are many devices that do the same thing. most range from 40-150 dollars. so calm the hell down. i doubt youll even get a bid with a 99.99 start AND reserve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well of course Nintendo doesn't have this product on record. They didn't make it, and since its primary function was to pirate Nintendo games, I'm guessing they didn't endorse it, either. As for the rep saying "the chances are slim to none" of anyone else having one, that's just ignorant. At least a dozen of these units (not this brand specifically but SNES copiers in general) have passed through the DP forums this year alone. Maybe he meant the odds of finding a working Gamars copier was "slim to none" because it was a pretty obscure copier. It used other copier's formats (Super Wild Card and Game Doctor, I believe). In other words, Gamars was a cheap 3rd party knock-off copier that simply used the formats other copiers had already developed.

As for what it's worth, all SNES copiers seem to currently fetch between $50-$100, with the big names (Super Wild Card, Game Doctor) near the top of that price range, Super Fighters near the middle, and the more obscure ones (Gamars.ALMA) near the bottom. That's not to say Gamars' units didn't work, it's just that since there were so many less of them that no one really supported or developed anything for them, and once the broke/break there was/is no one to repair them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    sick gnarly mn

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks bro. Much love.