Thread: What are considered the better Wizardry games/ports on Imported systems?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What are considered the better Wizardry games/ports on Imported systems?

As I understand it, the Wizardry series really took off in Japan. Many ports to various systems have taken place. However, I do know the NES/C64 versions aren't really good. Is there anyone who could ask a Japanese Wizardry player which games/ports are considered the best?
    Robot, fight like a chicken!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

really? I loved the NES version. Anyway, you can get most of the series on US PC if you really want to play them all. I think there were 6 or so in the old style.

I don't think Japan really got any we didn't get on PC. I know that 1 and 2 were on US nes and 5 was on US SNES. other than that I would assume you could get 3 and 4 on Super Famicom. I know the turbo grafx CD or duo had one of them too. They also made a 3D maze one for the US ps2, but I wasn't really found of it as you couldn't name your own characters, you kinda just hired them like mercenaries in the tavern. other than that, it seemed just like any other wizardry except it had a 3d maze.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wizardry: Llylgamyn Saga for the Saturn contains Proving Grounds, Knight of Diamonds, and Legacy of Llylgamyn. There's an option to change most of the text to English so all three games are pretty playable.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    ...I don't think Japan really got any we didn't get on PC...
    actually, they got a LOT more Wizardry games than we did. In fact, a number of publishers and developers (Taito, Locus/Soliton, Atlus, etc...) pretty much transformed the franchise into a bunch of cool sequels and spin-offs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/index...dry&platform=0 should give you an idea of most of the games released. only a few have English menu options from what I've seen and it's too bad that no US publisher had the time and money to localize more of these games on home or portable systems, as this style of game is slowly making a comeback here. See Orcs & Elves on cellphones and coming to the DS next month. Mazes of Fate on the GBA is good as well, although it has a few flaws like secret areas that can't be accessed even though you've gone to the trouble to find them!

g.