Thread: Question regarding xbox 360 network adaptor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question regarding xbox 360 network adaptor

I just bought a 360 last weekend, and my brother really likes the online so he looked into the Wireless Networking Adapter for the 360, and the Microsoft one was 100 dollars. Then he called Best Buy, and the person working there said you can use any generic Wireless Networking Adaptor. So my brother bought this, and said if it doesn't work he can return it, but I was just wondering if anyone knew this would work:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=143904&WT.mc_n=34&WT.mc_t=U&c m_ven=PAID%20SEARCH&cm_cat=IPROSPECT&cm_pla=DATAFE ED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_key code=34

I've already tried it, but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or it just doesn't work for the 360. If anyone knows this doesn't work for the 360, or how it does, I could use some help. Also, if it doesn't work, does anyone know of a generic one that would work... Thank you very much.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never tried a USB solution, but for the same price you could hook up something like a common WRT54G, flash the latest DD-WRT, and then hook up other consoles to be wireless as well.

edit - oh hey, look more people are realizing it. That Microsoft wireless adapter is for people that hate their money. For the same price you can hook up multiple consoles and have enough left over to buy a year's worth of Xbox Live so that you can actually use the net connection you just created.
    Last edited by roushimsx; 10-24-2007 at 09:47 PM.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I would hardly say I hate my money. I use the MS wireless adapter, and I would say I paid for the convenience and compactness of it. I cheaped out on the wireless for a while, using Internet sharing on my ibook. I must say it worked quite well, however long it took to get it set up. But I got tired of having to have one more thing plugged in and turned on just so I could play my 360 on Live, so I broke down and bought the adapter. Very little fuss and a fine connection even though the 360 has 2 walls between it and the router.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    oh hey, look more people are realizing it. That Microsoft wireless adapter is for people that hate their money.
    Don't we have a "The Official 360 Wireless Adapter is for Idiots" thread every month or so? This is so tired.

Your comment is nothing more than trolling. The doesn't negate it.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Never tried a USB solution, but for the same price you could hook up something like a common WRT54G, flash the latest DD-WRT, and then hook up other consoles to be wireless as well.

edit - oh hey, look more people are realizing it. That Microsoft wireless adapter is for people that hate their money. For the same price you can hook up multiple consoles and have enough left over to buy a year's worth of Xbox Live so that you can actually use the net connection you just created.
    I wish I'd known about this six months ago. I bought a 4-port bridge that cost me around $100 just so I could connect my two computers (mac mini and a linux box) to my landlords wifi network without having to install any drivers (mac drivers are practically nonexistent for third party adaptors) and this appears to do the same thing with a generic router.

I wonder if I can use the same procedure to turn my bridge into a router, should I ever want to.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malon_Forever View Post
    I just bought a 360 last weekend, and my brother really likes the online so he looked into the Wireless Networking Adapter for the 360, and the Microsoft one was 100 dollars. Then he called Best Buy, and the person working there said you can use any generic Wireless Networking Adaptor. So my brother bought this, and said if it doesn't work he can return it, but I was just wondering if anyone knew this would work:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=143904&WT.mc_n=34&WT.mc_t=U&c m_ven=PAID%20SEARCH&cm_cat=IPROSPECT&cm_pla=DATAFE ED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_key code=34

I've already tried it, but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or it just doesn't work for the 360. If anyone knows this doesn't work for the 360, or how it does, I could use some help. Also, if it doesn't work, does anyone know of a generic one that would work... Thank you very much.
    i think the simple solution to the problem is as with any device, there needs to be suitable drivers written for the OS, in this case the xbox OS. so I am pretty sure, nothing aside from M$'s proprietary wireless nic will work on their device. you can buy any usb wireless nic and plug it in, but the 360 won't have the proper device drivers to utilize it correctly. I hope this in some way helps.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The official wireless adapter for the Xbox 360 is pretty nice. Part of the high cost seems to be because it's A + G. I'd imagine that the A is wasted on most people. The G works fine and the adapter works well with my wireless security settings. It's also really nice that it mounts onto the back of the HD DVD drive.

For a little while, I was using the official MN-740 wireless adapter that was released for the original Xbox. The Xbox 360 supports it completely. It connects via the ethernet port, is powered by a wall-wart, and is just 802.11g but it does the job. I've had problems with some other wireless bridge units that don't seem to allow for encryption or connecting to wireless networks that don't broadcast their SSID.

Sure, there are cheaper solutions. None are really as elegant as the official USB wireless adapter. I got lucky and bought mine used for $50. I'm actually starting to consider moving to a Wireless-N bridge to handle my PS3, PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360. It would certainly keep streaming 720p video from stuttering on the PS3 and 360 and help with file transfers on my modded Xbox.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't know the original wireless adapter for the xbox worked, good idea, since it is ethernet based and not usb, there is no issue of drivers.... good find, now if I could find one used..... hmm
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should be able to find it for less than $100. Walmart has it for $75, and I'm sure you can find it cheaper on the web.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure what your problem is but here is what I went through:

I bought the Microsoft wireless adapter and a Belkin N1 wireless router. Microsoft tried to tell me my modem was not compatible because it was not listed on their website. They told me the same thing about my router.

Anyone here that has ever been in contact with Microsoft's X-Box customer service dept. can tell you how much of a fucking joke it is.

Anyhow here is what I did.

You need to get the TCP and UDP codes for the 360. I can not remember what they are off the top of my head. Bring up your wireless router setting page on the net. Then, put in the numbers and set up up the router to allow the 360 acces to your net conection.