Thread: TurboGrafx-16 Promo Cards?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default TurboGrafx-16 Promo Cards?

I've had these for awhile and still don't know what the heck they are or what they originally came with. Years ago I bought my TurboDuo used off eBay. It came with a handfull of complete and loose HuCARDs, a couple incomplete and complete CD games, and a sealed TurboDuo pack-in version of Ys Book I & II. The box and docs for the TurboDuo weren't included as it was a loose system but in the box along with the lot there were some plastic cards.

The large one has TurboGrafx-16 stats compared to the Sega Genesis while the small ones show the box art of Bloody Wolf on one side and Ys Book I & II on the other. I originally had three of the smaller ones but one disappeared over the years. Were these packed in with the system, games, handed out at trade shows? Any help would be great.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

These appear to be shelf cards. I have quite a few of these for the Sega Genesis and SNES. Stores like Toys R Us used to have them hanging in these plastic pocket displays and then you would take a tag up to a locked cage area and pick up your game after you paid. I've never seen Turbo cards, but they are exactly the same size and shape as the ones I have for the SNES and Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    These appear to be shelf cards. I have quite a few of these for the Sega Genesis and SNES. Stores like Toys R Us used to have them hanging in these plastic pocket displays and then you would take a tag up to a locked cage area and pick up your game after you paid. I've never seen Turbo cards, but they are exactly the same size and shape as the ones I have for the SNES and Genesis.
    Thanks for the information however every Toy'R'Us I ever frequented had printed paper pick tickets that were brought up to the register. Not to say what you're describing couldn't be the case but then why would Bloody Wolf and Ys Book I & II be on the same card? I'm still curious about the TG16 System card though.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

These look like they would go in plexiglass flip panels that you'd browse through at a store, I remember something like this at a Toys R Us when the TG-16 was still alive on the retail level. Great find.
    Last edited by Bratwurst; 10-25-2007 at 09:37 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The local TRU around here still uses the ticket system for games over $20. I don't remember any TG16 games at this store as IIRC it opened up later in the 16-bit era.

I don't know what the cards are from but I can see what your saying InsaneDavid about it not being a TRU (or any other store) display for a ticket like deal on the floor as all the cards at TRU have the front of a game on one side then if you flip it up the back of the same game and not a different game's front on the other side.
    Last edited by FOnewearl; 10-26-2007 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Anyone have any other info?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I'm going to give this a little bump as I'm really curious about what these are exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Time for another bump about these since we really didn't figure anything out before.

Anyone have any information? The Ys Book I & II / Bloody Wolf cards are about three inches square - about the size of a MiniDisc. Obviously these weren't display flip cards for TRU since those were quite a bit bigger.

TG16 stuff seems to continuously be on the rise so I'm really looking for some help with the value as well as identifying exactly what these are. I've still yet to see them anywhere else.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Time for another bump about these since we really didn't figure anything out before.

Anyone have any information? The Ys Book I & II / Bloody Wolf cards are about three inches square - about the size of a MiniDisc. Obviously these weren't display flip cards for TRU since those were quite a bit bigger.

TG16 stuff seems to continuously be on the rise so I'm really looking for some help with the value as well as identifying exactly what these are. I've still yet to see them anywhere else.
    Sure we did, they are promotional display cards. What else could they possibly be? By the way, Toys R Us wasn't the only retailer that did these cards nor did they only have one size of card. As for why they printed on both sides, it was probably cheaper to do a dual print and just send several cards to each retailer and let them choose which side to use. Not sure what you're expecting for them, but I can't imagine they would be crazy valuable since they are small and identical to the release artwork.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I guess I should have rephrased my bump post. I'm just looking for more / alternate information.

As for my thinking they're not display flip cards, that's because every fixture card I've ever seen that was used for that purpose had game information, screenshots, etc. on the backside of the card. It makes next to no sense that these were used for that purpose.

Promotional samples? Something that NEC reps may have passed out to select retailers? Fair enough but why haven't any others surfaced? Granted if someone does have these or others, I'm really very curious about how they came into their possession - that's why I bumped the thread.

I don't plan on funding construction of my one inch scale ride on railroad with the sale of these or anything but there's nothing wrong with more information.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Were these packed in with the system, games
    Nope.

Handed out at trade shows?
    99% likely, especially given that you have multiples of the same card and both games were released at the same time.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Only carbon dating will tell us for certain if they were indeed handed out during the Consumer Electronics Show of 1989.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    Only carbon dating will tell us for certain if they were indeed handed out during the Consumer Electronics Show of 1989.
    That or Chris Elliott could do a taste test.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for my thinking they're not display flip cards, that's because every fixture card I've ever seen that was used for that purpose had game information, screenshots, etc. on the backside of the card. It makes next to no sense that these were used for that purpose.
    They aren't the flip cards from the display seen in Toys "R" Us. This is the display most of you probably remember. Wish I could help more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually...my TRU back in the day had a totally different display setup, with TG16 game covers displayed in a vertical flip-rack with inserts behind plastic. But I'm not at all sure what size they were....I was a kid and didn't notice such things...
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."