Thread: Road Avenger-Sega CD

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Road Avenger-Sega CD

so I picked up a copy of this game for a couple bucks the other day. I knew it was an FMV game before I bought it and kinda knew not to expect too much depth to it because, well, it is an FMV game. Well the funny thing was is that I just recently moved and just got around to hooking up my Sega CD so I decided, eh what the hell, lets go back and see how funny it is. I honestly can say I kept playing it. Why? all you do is hit one of 4 buttons when it tells you to on the screen. Maybe its just me but sometimes those old FMV games hook me in. Road Avenger is cheezy as hell but I kept playing. What does everybody else think of this game? I had fun with it for a little while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default all too familiar

i had the same experience with revenge of the ninja for sega cd its a pretty simple game just hit what it says to hit when it says to hit its like an fmv sub genre, i actually bought that and dragons lair expecting dragons lair to be the better of the two. Well long story short after dieing at the bridge 50 or so times in a row i can saw that revenge of the ninja schools dragons lair. ive never played this paticular game i guess ill have to pick it up now.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh man, I recently got this game, too. I got it at the same time I found Time Gal. Like Time Gal, yours has a really flimsy cardboard box, right?

I have to admit, I sort of like the game mechanic of just hitting buttons to trigger animations. It sort of lets you turn your brain off and makes you say "just tell me what to press." But it's engrossing at the same time.

Here's a treat for you: http://www.openget.net/interactive/r...adbopening.mp3

It's the theme song, though I do believe we both have this on CD already.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cambot View Post
    Oh man, I recently got this game, too. I got it at the same time I found Time Gal. Like Time Gal, yours has a really flimsy cardboard box, right?

I have to admit, I sort of like the game mechanic of just hitting buttons to trigger animations. It sort of lets you turn your brain off and makes you say "just tell me what to press." But it's engrossing at the same time.

Here's a treat for you: http://www.openget.net/interactive/r...adbopening.mp3

It's the theme song, though I do believe we both have this on CD already.
    well it was supposed to come in a flimsy cardboard box but that was not included unfortunately. It was just the game in a jewel case and the instructions. Either way I don't care about it being complete or not because it isn't like its worth a shit load. Really though, maybe its just me but I guess I like these kinds of games, even though they are considered garbage but a lot of gamers. I would rather have had some more of a diverse genre spread throughout the sega cd rather than a lot of the attempts made at the FMV games.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    so I picked up a copy of this game for a couple bucks the other day. I knew it was an FMV game before I bought it and kinda knew not to expect too much depth to it because, well, it is an FMV game. Well the funny thing was is that I just recently moved and just got around to hooking up my Sega CD so I decided, eh what the hell, lets go back and see how funny it is. I honestly can say I kept playing it. Why? all you do is hit one of 4 buttons when it tells you to on the screen. Maybe its just me but sometimes those old FMV games hook me in. Road Avenger is cheezy as hell but I kept playing. What does everybody else think of this game? I had fun with it for a little while.
    Road Avengers is an under-rated game from the Laserdisc era. The Sega CD version is IMO a much better translation of the arcade game than say, Dragon's Lair or Space Ace.

To the best of my knowledge - It's got all the levels in their complete form in the correct arcade order, and it's not TOO ugly considering the extremely limited color depth of the Sega CD's FMV.

The only drawback to the Sega CD version of the game was the lack of "targeting reticule" ... in the arcade version when it asks you to jam on the gas to ram an enemy off the road or squeeze through a tight spot, you had to move your targeting icon to the right place (usually the bumper of the enemy, or the small area where you're supposed to drive through).

The Sega CD version just let you get away with hitting the gas or brake, no targeting involved.

I'm also partial to the 1980's era of Japanese Animation that the game comes from ... Robotech / Voltron style haircuts, sideburns, mohawks and tight pants coupled with 1980's muscle-cars? How cool is that?

There was a PS1 version released in Japan that's even closer to the arcade version, and of course, the original arcade version, in all it's glory is available via the amazing Daphne laserdisc emulator & Daphne for dummies auto torrent dowload program.

If you want to check out the full, original arcade expereince, download Daphne and Daphne for Dummies.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Hates_You View Post
    I'm also partial to the 1980's era of Japanese Animation that the game comes from ... Robotech / Voltron style haircuts, sideburns, mohawks and tight pants coupled with 1980's muscle-cars? How cool is that?
    Very cool, in fact. Most of my favorite anime series are from the 80's and I totally dug Road Avenger!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

The Arcade Version also didn't have the awesome theme song that the Sega CD version did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S26317my3CQ

I can't understand half of the things they're saying on the Sega CD intro ... but, it still friggin' rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCwunl1WhqY

Here's the arcade intro (it was Road Blaster in Japan), which also rocks, but is a different (instrumental) song - also check out the cleaner color pallette and frame rate off the laser disc.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I love this game,I keep a sealed copy of it on my shelf on display..

Not sure if it came sealed but that how I got one of the copies I have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Wasn't this game released on the Pioneer Laseractive under it's original Japanese name, Road Blaster? I could swear I read that somewhere. It always looked like a fun game to me, but once I bought a Laseractive (and Mega LD module), I could never find any games to run on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's actually one of my favorite Sega CD titles.

If you dig it, and haven't tried out Cobra Command for the Sega CD as well, then do it. They're brother & sister games really

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Hates_You View Post
    There was a PS1 version released in Japan that's even closer to the arcade version, and of course, the original arcade version, in all it's glory is available via the amazing Daphne laserdisc emulator & Daphne for dummies auto torrent dowload program.
    To add a bit to this: the BEST home version of this game is "Road Prosecutor" for Laseractive using the Mega-CD module. A bit obscure to most, but something you need to know about.

And for the record, I LOVE this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    To add a bit to this: the BEST home version of this game is "Road Prosecutor" for Laseractive using the Mega-CD module. A bit obscure to most, but something you need to know about.
    Yeah, I've got Road Prosecutor for Laseractive and it rocks. I've got this Genesis flight/driving controller that I use to play it sometimes too that make it even more of a blast to play. One of my all-time FMV favorites next to Time Gal.
    Last edited by norkusa; 10-30-2007 at 10:37 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I always kept it quiet but I really loved these kinds of games when they came out. I thought Dragon's Lair (particularly Dragon's Lair II) were amazing and I played the hell out of DL when it came to the Sega CD. I had always wished that elements of that type of game would get incorporated into a larger game with more elements and in about 2000 it did--Shenmue's QTE sequences are totally influenced by this genre. Some people have mixed emotions about Shenmue but I think that's pretty cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

This is one of those laserdisc games that needs a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 style commentary track.

Look out! Evil David Bowie (as Ziggy Stardust) is attacking our car ... with ... an axe?

Who attacks a car with an axe?

Come on, if Ken and Ryu can punch the exterior off of a car in 30 seconds... an axe really isn't too far fetched.