Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Default Thinking about buying a 3DO

I like underdogs. And I enjoy quirky FMV games and old strategy titles. That said I'm thinking about buying a 3DO but I don't really know where to begin.

Which model is the best?
    What should I expect to pay?
    Did they make any other RPGs besides Guardian War and Lucienne's Quest?
    What are considered the system's classics?

I like the look of the bulky drawer model with the round legs, but I don't know if one system is better than the others. I also enjoyed playing the Horde but don't know if it would be better to buy the saturn version. Any suggestions or discussions are welcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Stay away from the Goldstar version and accessories, it's all junk. I have an FZ-1 (front loading drawer) I rescued for $10 and I love it. The only downside is you have to use a software based memory manager that was included in some games to manage your save data. The FZ-10 (flip top) hardwired the memory manager. Also be sure you use the second version controllers (FZ-JP2X), the ones that do NOT have the headphone jack - they are far better than the first release controllers.

As for games, I really only bought a 3DO to play Pretty Soldier Sailormoon S (JPN) which I do play a lot of. Shanghai: Triple-Threat is a nice diversion but aside from that I really haven't gotten into the software library.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the 3DO is actually a pretty high quality system. A surprising number of good titles despite the small library.

I'd definitely recommend the Panasonic FZ-1 unless you can find one of the weird obscure models like the Samsung/LG Korean one or the Sanyo one from Japan or something like that (not that I have reaosn to believe that they're actually better pieces of hardware, but it's always nice to have something obscure...or *MORE* obscure, I should say). The FZ-10 feels cheap by comparison and the Goldstar unit is famous for breaking down. I hardly ever hear of people having problems with an FZ-1.

As for RPGs, it depends on your definition, I guess, but there's Star Control 2 and also one or two of those AD&D dungeon crawler things. Maybe some others that I'm not thinking of, but Guardian War (shit) and Lucienne's Quest are the only traditional console style RPGs, I think.

I love The Horde on the 3DO and while I only played it briefly on the Saturn, I didn't notice anything different. Given the nature of the game, I expect you're going to get 99% the same thing regardless of which version you get.

I only have two more words: Return Fire.

...word is bondage...

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Buy either the Panasonic FZ-1 (front loading) or FZ-10 (top loading). The other posters are right about avoiding the Goldstar. Not only is the Goldstar model prone to breaking down but it also has problems running a few games. Some become really choppy, when run on a Goldstar, and others do not run at all.

Based on my experience, used 3DO's will run from $35-65 (give or take) if purchased online and that normally includes shipping. The Goldstar model is generally the cheapest. The "real" ones by Panasonic are obviously a little more expensive. Maybe it is just me but the FZ-10's have gone up in price quite a bit over the past 5-6 months, even higher than the FZ-1 in some auctions.

As for games, some interesting ones include the stuff that also ended up on Playstation like Gex, Psychic Detective, Casper and Need for Speed. 3DO also has a well-received version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo.
    Last edited by bangtango; 10-30-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blade Force was a hell of a lot of fun back in the day but it hasn't aged terribly well. If you can find it reasonably cheap then it's worth a look-see still. It was one of the highest rated 3do games in Game Players magazine and was the one that really put the system on the map for me.

Seconding Return Fire and The Horde as well. Both have aged surprisingly well and are still pretty damn fun.

Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels isn't bad, but the load times are murder in pretty much all of the non-PC versions of it. Again, worth checking out on the cheap if you absolutely can't find the PC version anywhere. Apparently it recently got remade for mobile phones with turn based gameplay, which IMO would make it absolutely tits.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dreamcast's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    X_DarkFaction_X

Only for Return Fire.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep mine around (FZ-1) for Icebreaker (and Icebreaker 2), Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Theme Park (Best port of it, IMO), and the 2 Stupid Dogs clip on the sampler disk.

Other ones I like:

Quarantine isn't very good, but I love the songs on it (Does anyone know who sings any of the songs? There isn't a track list in the manual. I like the one where the angry chick screams "YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE, OH NO NO! and the one with the man with the accent singing "Dance with me. You are so pretty. I can see, I'm no good without you). The FZ-1 plays it, but I can't get it to work on a FZ-10.

Strahl is fun if you like the Dragon's Lair/Time Gal-type FMV games.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We had a serious run with the 3do.(when we were able to afford it).

Games we loved
    Alone in the dark for the time it was totally different.
    the samplers
    return fire
    road rash
    samuri showdown
    steet fighter
    dragon lair

It will always own a special part in my heart.
    neo geo system

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the fz 10 the best.

Captain Quazar must be on your list of games to get. It's just freaking awesome. Street Fighter II turbo is maybe the best port of the game on any system. Cannon Fodder is another great title.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I like underdogs. And I enjoy quirky FMV games and old strategy titles. That said I'm thinking about buying a 3DO but I don't really know where to begin.

Which model is the best?
    What should I expect to pay?
    What are considered the system's classics?

I like the look of the bulky drawer model with the round legs, but I don't know if one system is better than the others. I also enjoyed playing the Horde but don't know if it would be better to buy the saturn version. Any suggestions or discussions are welcome.
    I'd but an FZ-10 just so you wouldn't have to worry about the automatic door down the road, but the FZ-1 does have appeal... round legs = cankles! makes me think of a family guy reference for some reason... anyway:

Well, there eventually weren't a whole lot of them, but the more unusual rpgs were released in japan (of course, even though it's a US system!), but if you want a make your own dungeon hack type of game, i'd recommend Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Slayer as a buy. A D&D Deathkeep is also good (it has an actual story), but they cut some corners in the production - the fmv intro is totally laughable.

Dragon Lore and Lost Eden are European made point & click adventure games with RPG elements. Lost Eden has the better story, but I'm more partial to Dragon Lore's stylized visuals and the ultimate in spiky-haired rendered characters. It's a acquired tase, to be sure, but there's something about the game that hooks you in...

If you can find it and don't mind dying from all sorts of stuff, Robinson's Requiem is a sort of cool game once you understand the controls and get used to the visuals.

Demolition Man is hilarious - a combo of FPS, Time Crisis style shooting sequences, driving and stiff fighting action. Stallone filmed a bunch of short new FMV clips for the game, so it adds to the movie experience. Actually, i had never bothered to see the film until I played the game! the intro id right from the movie and when i saw the burning HOLLYWOOD sign in the chopper shot, I put the film on my "to see" list.

Definitely pick up D, as it's a classic. short (two hours, but it has two and a half endings, lol), but it's one of the first games of its type and WARP helped move some systems based on the buzz about the import version.

Corpse Killer is fun, although it's intentionally campy to a fault and should have been a FPS instead of a side-scrolling shoot the zombie with the cursor game...

the deadalus encounter is a lot more polished FMV entry - some of the puzzles are a pain to solve, but the production values are alright.

Other classics:

P'oed (VERY weird FPS with bizarre enemies, but MASSIVE levels, a dead Elvis in a freezer that opens up a crazy secret level and a pretty decent 3D engine. funny as hell in spots, scary in other and the ending is quite silly.)
    Road Rash (a MUST, even if you hate racing games)
    Return Fire/ Return Fire Maps O' Death (excellent with two players)
    Shock Wave/Shock Wave: Operation Jumpgate/Shock Wave 2 (sci-fi themed 3D shooters- hard as hell in spots)
    BattleSport (great arena-based "sports" game like ballblazer)
    Wing Commander III (if you like space combat sims)
    Burning Soldier (if you hate the above and want a cool Japanese FMV game. it's short, but catchy and probably really cheap)
    Novastorm (psygnosis FMV shooter)
    Road & Track Presents Need for Speed (some folks like this, some don't)
    Sid Meier's CPU Bach (not a game, but a baroque music generator - very cool and relaxing stuff)
    Icebreaker (addictive puzzle game where you're a pyramid shooting and/or avoiding other pyramids in a ton of levels. addictive and frustrating at the same time on the higher stages, but you'll keep playing...
    Syndicate (if you can find it) - very cool strategy game with a cyberpunk sorta theme...
    Total Eclipse (gotta love a pack in space shooter - not bad, but i gets really hard)
    Star Fighter (More 3D space shooting, but with destructible terrain and a pretty high difficulty level as the game goes on)
    Trip'D (watered down version of WARP's Flopon the Space Mutant - they kept the core gameplay and changed the main game screen around significantly. also, you're missing a really weird Japanese mini-game that got clipped where you use multiplication tables to slap some poor guy in the face based on how many times you bash a button...
    Gex (fun platformer and funny.. er, sometimes. I'd never heard of dana Gould before Gex and I haven't heard of him after, either...)

Acquired tastes:

Captain Quazar (some think it's a classic, i thought it was too damn corny and ugly to be really great.. but it's a fun isometric action game and stuff blows up real good)
    Phoenix 3 (side scrolling action/platformer w 3D space combat sections. I hated this for ages until i decided to actually finish it and it's not as bad as I thought...)
    Psychic Detective (Live action FMV with a real jerk for a main character, but an intriguing set up and multiple endings depending on your choices)
    Immercenary (cool idea, bizarre mix of FPS and FMV, not so hot to look at and hard as hell, but it grows on you as you get into it... it's sort of an arty/organic sci-fi coffee blend).
    Paatank (might make you throw up if you can't stand the motion on screen)
    Off-World Interceptor (way too hard to be fun in single player mode... it can be beat, but you may break a controller in the process)
    Scramble Cobra (Genki's take on the Shock Wave games puts you in charge of an army chopper instead of a space cruiser. same gameplay, but different FMV and lots of screaming guitars for some reason.
    Iron Angel of the Apocalypse/Iron Angel of the Apocalypse: the Return (for me, these USED to be on the Avoid list below, but I kinda like the stupid games a little more. Granted, you'll want to AVOID both of them because i don't want you coming to my house and stabbing me in my sleep.
    Quarantine (so THAT'S where twisted metal came from... sort of. more like crazy taxi meets the road warrior meets twisted metal, circa 1993. it's not a great-looking game at all, but it does have a decent soundtrack and once you make enough money and stop getting killed enough to dial in the game, it's not that bad...).

Avoid, or they'll kill you dead:

Virtuoso (wow, is this bad... i mean really.)
    Seal of the Pharaoh (I kind of liked this a while back, but replaying it put me to sleep twice. in one level...)
    Cyberdillo
    Mazer
    Night Trap (some people PAY THROUGH THE NOSE for this game because they think it has nudity and gore in it. it doesn't. it's crap. intentionally funny crap, but crap nonetheless. suckers.)

as for imports, my stuff is stored away for the next week while the place is being plastered/painted, but i know you can get a few more RPGs of assorted quality and games like Policenauts, Pyramid Intruder (Taito FMV shooter), Yu Yu Hakusho (2D fighting) and a bunch of others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    The 3DO has very few straight RPGs. Even the Japan-only titles come up short in that department, and most of the text-heavy games need the Kanji buffer RAM thingy that's in Japanese systems. The only notable import 3DO RPG is probably Right Stuff's Blue Forest Story. It has an an intro with all the gratuitous CG nudity that 1994 could muster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPdrioXXy8E

Of course, you could just get the PlayStation port of Blue Forest Story. Oddly enough, it removes all the opening shots of the naked heroine. Don't ask how I know this.
    Last edited by Kid Fenris; 08-28-2010 at 09:26 PM.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Really important (software) thread by a guy who not only owns but has also played every 3DO game:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32396

Hope this helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default 3do

Good choice...i love my 3DO...some games to check out are....
    Need For Speed
    Road Rash
    Hell
    cannon Fodder
    Gex
    ShockWave 1&2
    PGA Tour 96
    Foes Of Ali.
    and thats just a few....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Star Control 2 is amazing.

And Wing Commander 3 for 3do blows the ps1 version outta the water imo

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

If you like something quirky and want to get others in on the 3DO fun, try to find Twisted! It's a weird "virtual reality" game show where you choose a weird TV character who gets a chance to go to the "real world". Has trivia, visual puzzle games, Memory type games, etc.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

If you liked Out of This World and Flashback, the 3DO has really good ports of these games on it. They were the best ones I had played anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    Really important (software) thread by a guy who not only owns but has also played every 3DO game:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32396

Hope this helps.
    Thank you, and I really appreciate the screenshots that are offered for the 3DO games. I actually did find Star Raider for the PSX a few weeks ago but was scratched to all crap so I passed, though if it weren't it would have been in my shopping bag in a heartbeat, just looked too cool!

I too have been thinking about getting a 3DO unit and it really does appear to be a system worth the investment of gameplay for a classic gamer. I'd get either the FZ-1 or FZ-10 models (prefer the later) but they're a bit expensive for me at the moment so I'm waiting for either that good deal or when I have some more games to play.

One game I'd really like to get though, Wolfenstein.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    One game I'd really like to get though, Wolfenstein.
    I think Wolfenstein is the best version for the 3DO that I've played. Great game

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    If you like something quirky and want to get others in on the 3DO fun, try to find Twisted! It's a weird "virtual reality" game show where you choose a weird TV character who gets a chance to go to the "real world". Has trivia, visual puzzle games, Memory type games, etc.

Heh. I'm staying at a friend's house for the week and we all sat around like Sunday night playing that. Uncle Fez looks like a walking penis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

I have all 3 versions of the 3do, and use the goldstar the most since it was the first one i got. I have never had a problem with it yet.