Thread: Storing game manuals....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Storing game manuals....

I was talking to somebody today that keeps his manuals for his games separate from their boxes (in comic book mylar bags with cardboard backings) as opposed to keeping them in their game boxes (he collects Genesis, NES, SNES and Master System), and was just wondering if others collectors store them this way or simply keep them in their boxes. On one hand it seems like it is going overboard somewhat, but then on the other hand it seems to make sense to preserve them. Just wanted to get others opinions on what they prefer...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

For games that have clamshell type cases I just keep them in there. As long as you don't leave them horizontal the manuals should be fine.

For anything that came in a cardboard boxes, I put the manuals in a small plastic box about the size of a shoebox that I think I bought at a K-Mart or something. I'd rather not open the cardboard box to a game repeatedly, seeing as the only reason i'd go in there anyways is for the manual to look something up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, ditto. I have a few different small boxes and bags that I store manuals in, but it's not because I'm getting obsessive-compulsive about condition. I just have a lot of loose manuals. I guess I got into the habit of keeping them separate starting in my early days of owning my own games when I regretfully threw away game boxes. Since I regarded the manuals as useful (and some I truly used the hell out of; I had Chrono Trigger laying out open all the time to refer to all the combo attacks), I chose to save them. Back then I just kept them in a stack at the bottom of my nightstand. These days I still have all of those loose manuals, as well as manuals from used games I bought that only came with manuals, and I also occasionally separate a game's packaging since my collection is stored in two different locations on opposite sides of the country. I don't exactly want to pack game boxes in my luggage when I travel, so I'll leave the box and take the game and the manual just in case I want to refer to it at some point (I actually still like to read a manual from beginning to end before starting a game, but I rarely do that these days since so much of my gaming is either Japanese imports or older games that I don't even have a manual for). Actually, one thing I look forward to is "reuniting" many of my games when I can finally move into my own place and get all of my collection gathered in just one location.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I normally keep them seperated my self. I simply put them in a magizene holder and cover that up, works well and that that expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep my NES manuals in the hard plastic NES cases. You can fit quite a few manuals in each and they are very secure and well protected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

All my manuals are placed/included in their respective boxes (if I have them), and the rest of the loose manuals for games are stacked up and placed together with the loose games/carts of their respective systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I keep my NES manuals in the hard plastic NES cases. You can fit quite a few manuals in each and they are very secure and well protected.
    This is a great idea, I used to do it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For games that I have the box, I keep the manuals in there. But for games with no box, I keep all my manuals in a shoe box in the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I think I'll start doing that. I've got around 6 of those cases and have no use for them, so maybe I might as well store manuals in them.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I keep my manuals in UltraPro brand pocket pages, you can purchase them in different sizes. Genesis/SNES goes in 5x7 inch pockets 2 to a page, GBA will fit perfectly in 3x5 pockets 4 to a page.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    I keep my manuals in UltraPro brand pocket pages, you can purchase them in different sizes. Genesis/SNES goes in 5x7 inch pockets 2 to a page, GBA will fit perfectly in 3x5 pockets 4 to a page.
    Good call! Are these the ones?

http://www.the2buds.com/supg2.htm

If not, where do you recommend to buy them?

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Those would be it. N64 booklets fit great in them as well but NES manuals will slide around. If you have a vacuum sealer for food bags you can use the heating wire to melt a line across the pockets to prevent that though.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep mine stashed in photograph boxes... there about the same size as a shoe box and stackable with a small footprint.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I keep all of my manuals in their original boxes or cases. For games where I just have the cart and manual, I store them in the general vicinity of my cartridges for that system. For example, Game Gear or Gameboy manuals go in the same box/case that I keep those individual games in. Meanwhile the loose N64 manuals I have go in the box with the N64 stuff. Point being, I don't have one "special place" where I keep all of my manuals. It could be said I don't take every extra measure to ensure my manuals are preserved perfectly but I don't buy games with the intention of selling them later either, so if I get a crease or two on a manual because an N64 system is resting on top of it in a box then I can live with it.