Thread: Who thought CD-i was dead !? Connaone will arrive on CD-i in 2008!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Who thought CD-i was dead !? Connaone will arrive on CD-i in 2008!

Charles Doty sure keeps old systems alive, now right after his announcement to develop his next project demo for Atari Jaguar, Connaone is a fighting game a-la Beavis and Butthead. For me the good news is he is also creating a CD-i release in 2008! That makes, after Frog Feast, the second homebrew game for CD-i!

Frog Feast seems not very popular here...... Well I think Connaone will be a lot more interactive and it'll have far better graphics. At least, I hope! Check out a video here and some release info here.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting. I really love Doty's quest to bring homebrew to every console, but I'll admit, I didn't think Frog Feast was the best choice for the game to port. I think there's lots of games that would have been just as simple to port, but a lot more fun to play.

Connaone sounds like it will be quite a bit more complicated as a game, so quite a bit more complicated to port around. Is he planning on bringing the game to all the systems he's already ported Frog Feast to?

Hopefully Connaone is a more Smash Bros style fighter because I'm never hopeful about how homebrew 2D fighters are going to turn out. A real 2D fighter requires an insane amount of balancing and refinement in order not to feel like total trash.

Stupid me, I'd buy the Dreamcast version now matter how bad the game is, though.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I had to peek my head in for a mention of one of my favorite cult systems. I'm not much of a fan of fighting games, which is a problem. The art style looks quirky, but I know enough not to condemn the game because the artists were looking to distinguish it from other titles. What's really going to make or break this game is the depth of the game, sort of like other releases in well-known franchises due to be out soon.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree, but the wonderful thing is just that CD-i is still alive to some people! Personally I found the Frog Feast game pretty simple, and while those systems are capable of doing a lot more, it's just the charme that Rastersoft creates small games for old abandoned systems. Connaone is going a huge step further and who knows (I'm looking forward!) the third game will be even bigger and bigger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The games that keep the CD-i alive are the good ones, though. I have lots of games for other systems that I'd like to pick up, and if it doesn't play well, it's not on my radar. On the other hand, if the best game EVAR were to come out for some obscure system, everybody would have to have one.

I view this mainly as a bragging contest amongst hardware enthusaists - I respect and like the fact that they're learning about those systems and opening up avenues for other would-be classic system developers, but my focus is on the game.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    The games that keep the CD-i alive are the good ones, though. I have lots of games for other systems that I'd like to pick up, and if it doesn't play well, it's not on my radar. On the other hand, if the best game EVAR were to come out for some obscure system, everybody would have to have one.

I view this mainly as a bragging contest amongst hardware enthusaists - I respect and like the fact that they're learning about those systems and opening up avenues for other would-be classic system developers, but my focus is on the game.
    If I read that right, you are looking for a game that would excite even people who don't own a CD-i, perhaps leading to them looking for one online, as opposed to a game that excites only current owners of a CD-i.

Say, how well do the VideoCD movies play on there? I've owned the system for several months now and was just thinking of getting a few of the movies not too long ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If I read that right, you are looking for a game that would excite even people who don't own a CD-i,
    Well, not quite...I know what's good and what isn't, for the CD-i and for gaming in general. For the CD-i there's a natural bias towards FMV games, and the costs of those haven't really gone down enough for hobbyists to make them (unless you want to make a polygon game, I suppose - hey, that doesn't sound like a bad idea). I'm just saying that most people aren't going to care about the CD-i unless there's a truly remarkable game for it, but I suppose that was obvious.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post

Say, how well do the VideoCD movies play on there? I've owned the system for several months now and was just thinking of getting a few of the movies not too long ago.

ive watched my Star Trek VCD movies on my CDi and my old Mintek dvd player from 2003 and they looked better in the CDi than the DVD, i havent watched them since i upgraded to a different dvd player tho

i would put disc 1 in the CDi and disc 2 in the dvd player just so i wouldnt have to get off my butt to switch discs
    Join the 3DO Chat here -- http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/