Thread: Jurassic Park Interactive "Promotional Use Only" version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Jurassic Park Interactive "Promotional Use Only" version?

I've seen a copy of Jurassic Park Interactive (3DO) with a "Not For Resale" / "For Promotional Use Only" sticker on the front. The game disc repeats these words in a mostly blank red spot on the bottom left corner (right above the black 3DO trademark notice). The game also comes in the third (edit: fourth, as I found another right after writing this) style of 3DO case I've seen - it's like the snap cases, but without the plastic snap. It's like the cardboard cases with a top and bottom shell that you lift off, except that the left edge is connected, so it just folds outwards like a book. It's the same style box as "Way of the Warrior" and "Creature Shock."

I realized that I don't know much at all about the 3DO promo scene. How rare are promotional games? I don't think this was a pack-in. Any clues?
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 11-05-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I seem to remember that Jurassic Park Interactive wasn't an "official" pack-in but used as an incentive game if you purchased a 3DO. ie: Buy a 3DO and you will also get JPI.

In terms of rarity..who knows. Panasonic gave a lot of free full copies of 3DO games out during its early days to game stores. Heck they had a whole binder of full games that I know every EB store seemed to get. I was given Gridders and Super Wing Commander from one of those binders when I bought my 3DO after the first price drop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RevQuixo View Post
    Buy a 3DO and you will also get JPI.
    3DO games are closer than they appear, then?

This wasn't just a regular game that was thrown in, so it would've been "official" in that it wasn't in the box as a pack-in, but at least some were produced as incentive games, according to what you're saying. The only reason I can think of to do this would've been to prevent game stores from giving away other titles.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 11-05-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right..it would have been sent to stores from Panasonic as an added bonus for selling systems....I used "official" in the sense that there isn't a JPI pack-in version of the 3DO system out there ala Super MArio World or Sonic the Hedgehog. I would imagine the stickers were more used so that stores wouldn't sell them as part of their own inventory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RevQuixo View Post
    I used "official" in the sense that there isn't a JPI pack-in version of the 3DO system out there ala Super MArio World or Sonic the Hedgehog.
    I figured so, but wanted to make especially clear.

The store inventory part makes sense as well - obviously 3DO or whoever was sending out those games (Panasonic?) wouldn't want the stores to just sell them at normal price, as the distributor wouldn't get anything out of it. Any idea if they would've come only with certain brands of 3DO systems?

Thanks for the information!