Thread: PS3 firmware update

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default PS3 firmware update

I don't know if anybody else has experienced this, but I've been getting some system freezing issues going on with my PS3 ever since the update. I tried playing the Ratchet and Clank demo and it freezes up on me. I tried downloading the Uncharted demo and it just sat there at 6% for like an hour too. I don't know if the freezing had something to do with me downloading the demo and having the network run slow or whatever, but something isn't right. Just wanted to see if anybody else has had any issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I don't know if anybody else has experienced this, but I've been getting some system freezing issues going on with my PS3 ever since the update. I tried playing the Ratchet and Clank demo and it freezes up on me. I tried downloading the Uncharted demo and it just sat there at 6% for like an hour too. I don't know if the freezing had something to do with me downloading the demo and having the network run slow or whatever, but something isn't right. Just wanted to see if anybody else has had any issues.
    I'd bet that everybody with a PS3 was downloading the Uncharted demo last night. XBL has the same problem when a new (anticipated) demo is released.

I had a problem initially with logging into the Playstation Store and my account info right after I upgraded to 2.0. The problem had something to do with the "remote start" option that is added with 2.0. When I wold try to click on those sections, the screen would just sit there. Not really "lock up" because I could hit "circle" and back out, but I couldn't go forward. Once I reset the option back to "off", I was able to connect to the PS store and my account info. Strange, but not a big deal in the end.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Just a network issue.

We ran into the same stuff.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

so do you guys think because I was downloading Uncharted and trying to play another demo it was causing the system to freeze up? I'm just hoping it wasn't anything firmware related doing it or my system not taking the firmware well or something.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Your Uncharted download hanging on 6% for an hour or so likely wasn't an issue of "freezing" (unless there was NO activity on the HDD lights on the front of the console)

it's more likely that Sony's network still can't handle mid sized to large downloads at an effective rate (especially when it's a free / anticipated demo).

It LITERALLY took me like 10 hours to get the thing downloaded, and I've got a very respectable speed cable modem. (There's some evidence pointing to my WiFi setup ... but I have yet to catagorically diagnose it as such, since my online gameplay via PS3 and the WiFi setup is fast and flawless.)

It feels like the way they have their downloads set up is that you literally queue up after every 1%...and if that's the case, they need to figure out a new system.

And similar to heybtbm, when I set up the remote start feature for the first time, I failed to auto log back into the network, but once I tried again, it went back in fine, and I haven't had an issue since.

While you were trying to download Uncharted, it did probably tax your PS3's network resources, especially if you tried playing another game online at the same time.

A sad as it sounds, if you're getting HDD activity (the green and yellow lights are flashing on the front of the system) while it's downloading, that means it's working and you're probably best left to just leave it alone and let it finish.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 11-09-2007 at 01:14 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

no its definitly the update, my xmb locks up all the time, if i go to check my network settings it freezes, if i use the browser and press the playstation button as it launches it freezes, not always but alot, theres definitly something wrong with the update, i already see update 2.01 on the horizon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

mailman ... what region/model PS3 do you have?

I have a 60Gig launch unit that's not having any noticable lock up issues after the 2.0 update ... do you have a 20/80/40 gig unit with different hardware inside? Perhaps it's console specific issues with the firmware.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 11-09-2007 at 03:05 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

so do you guys think because I was downloading Uncharted and trying to play another demo it was causing the system to freeze up? I'm just hoping it wasn't anything firmware related doing it or my system not taking the firmware well or something.
    If a PS3 is anything like a Windows PC, then maybe the demo was trying to access stuff on the hard drive as more data was being written. This causes slowdowns and stuttering on SOME PCs. I wouldn't be surprised if it caused issues on a PS3 too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After I updated, the system froze on me while using the web browser. However, I was listening to streaming music through Windows Media Connect while trying to access a page that used an unsupported form of Flash. I think I just overloaded the system. Still, it was annoying to have to reach around to the back of the system and flip the switch. The only other thing that worked on the system was the disc eject button. So at least my Time Crisis 3 disc is safe when the system freezes.

I went back to the same page without the music streaming later on, and I didn't get any freezing. I think my system's gonna be okay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

After a few days with the new firmware, I notice that roughly 1 out of 10 boot ups, I get an error on my auto log-in. (Failed to connect)

It usually logs in okay on the second auto-try.

This may have something to do with the "news ticker" thing.

In fact, since that's one of the newest elements of the XMB that has to fetch info from Sony's servers, that may be the thing causing freeze ups and/or failed internet connects.

I also had one freeze-up on PS2 mode....can't say for sure if that was related to anything though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Hates_You View Post
    After a few days with the new firmware, I notice that roughly 1 out of 10 boot ups, I get an error on my auto log-in. (Failed to connect)

It usually logs in okay on the second auto-try.

This may have something to do with the "news ticker" thing.

In fact, since that's one of the newest elements of the XMB that has to fetch info from Sony's servers, that may be the thing causing freeze ups and/or failed internet connects.

I also had one freeze-up on PS2 mode....can't say for sure if that was related to anything though.

You love to double space, don't you, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well, hey.

I prefer reading things that have carriage returns at the end of a "thought".

(I absolutely do not read HUGE walls of text, and I don't respond in that fashion.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

well I spent some time over the weekend with my PS3 and was able to download Uncharted, I played a couple other games and have not had any issues with freezing or any of the sort. I do believe however that the Sony News flash bar or whatever it is made my system freeze because I tried looking at that while i was downloading, then I also tried playing a Ratchet and Clank demo that I previously downloaded while Uncharted was still being downloaded. I think a lot of it had to do with a network issue of some sort, but as of now, I've had no more issues with the PS3.

Also I am using a launch 60 gig