Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playability of Quattro NES games?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playability of Quattro NES games?

I've found plenty of threads about the rarity (or lack thereof) of the Quattro Adventure and Sports games versus their Aladdin counterparts, but I want to know if any of these games are supposed to be any good.

I found both of these carts at Goodwill recently, and while I've read a lot about how good the Dizzy games are supposed to be in Retrogamer magazine, I can't see what all the fuss is about with Treasure Island Dizzy. For instance, what are you supposed to do with the items you find in that game (like the rock on the first screen)?

Space Linushead seems a lot like Solar Jetman if you couldn't have precise control over the character's movement. I didn't bother with Super Robin Hood, and I haven't even cleaned the Quattro Sports game yet.

Also, what's the deal with the switch on the back of the carts? I know that some of the Codemasters games were supposed to fire a voltage spike through the NES10 chip or something, so is that what that's for or is it for something else? I'm using a Messiah NEX system right now since my NES is in storage, and I'm hoping these Camerica carts aren't going to cause it to malfunction...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played Linus Spacehead all the way through recently. I thought it was one of the better platformers for the NES.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    I found both of these carts at Goodwill recently, and while I've read a lot about how good the Dizzy games are supposed to be in Retrogamer magazine, I can't see what all the fuss is about with Treasure Island Dizzy. For instance, what are you supposed to do with the items you find in that game (like the rock on the first screen)?
    No offense, but have you ever played any of the classic Sierra or LucasArts adventure games?

If you haven't, then you won't understand the Dizzy games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10) Terminusvitae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Aoif3edieqwdf

Of all the unlicensed manufacturers who entered the NES market, Camerica/Codemasters gets my vote as the highest-quality. I really haven't been disappointed in any of their efforts, though I admit I have yet to play Micro Machines.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Micro Machines has to be at the very top of my NES list. Matter of fact, it is at the top of my racing list also(including all the next-gen racing games). This game is extremely fun as a one player game and it is a blast as a two player game. If you like Rock-n-Roll Racing on SNES, you will love Micro Machines.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ProfJimbo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree about Micro-Machines for the NES. Definately a top-shelf game.
    ProfJimbo
    2 6 0 0 O n l i n e . c o m
    It's a far cry from the world we thought we'd inherit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    Also, what's the deal with the switch on the back of the carts? I know that some of the Codemasters games were supposed to fire a voltage spike through the NES10 chip or something, so is that what that's for or is it for something else? I'm using a Messiah NEX system right now since my NES is in storage, and I'm hoping these Camerica carts aren't going to cause it to malfunction...
    I never heard of the switch firing a voltage spike before. What I have read on the subject is the switch is there to allow the cartridge to work on a NTSC Nes, or a Pal Nes. So they would only have to manufacture one type of cart. Speaking from personal experience, I have played Camerica games on my top loader, and had no problems whatsoever. However, I have run into some models of the Nes that won’t play them simply due to lockouts.

About the Quattro games, I have yet to play them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sidnotcrazy View Post
    Speaking from personal experience, I have played Camerica games on my top loader, and had no problems whatsoever.
    You have no problems on your top loader because the top loader is devoid of the 10NES lockout chip. I can't remember off hand what the switch on the cartridges did exactly but the OP is on the right track, it allows two slightly different attempts at overriding the 10NES chip. If I remember correctly, awhile back I read that Color Dreams sent +5v to a specifc pin on the 10NES chip (or something similar) to tie it up so it wouldn't check to see if there was a matching chip in the cartridge. (That's how the 10NES works, it compares data with a similar chip in a licensed cartridge.) This allowed the unlicensed code to run and by the time the 10NES chip was set free, the game was already running and it had nothing more to do.

All unlicensed NES games use some form to 10NES override except for the unlicensed Tengen games which use an illegally engineered 10NES clone (the Rabbit chip) - one of the reasons unlicensed Tengen games function exactly like a licensed title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Treasure Island Dizzy has got to be the worst Dizzy game by a landslide. Do not let that game sour you on the franchise. Fantastic Dizzy, Bubble Dizzy, and Spellbound are a lot better.

Linus Spacehead is okay, but the rest of Quattro Adventure is crap IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

On the topic of the lockout features of the Nes, why do many of the title screens appear jumbled, yet the rest of the game plays fine? Is this just a dirty cart or has anyone else has this issue with Camerica cart title screens?
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Quattro Sports games are fun, if not completely unrealistic. I wrote a review of it many years ago and it's probably floating around the internet somewhere, but here's a summary:

Tennis is great, simply because there's a million game bugs, such as the ability to hit the ball twice in the air. Baseball is crazy, because every fly ball has a strange hook to it that makes fielding an adventure. This also turns obvious foul balls into homeruns. The racing game is a rip-off of Super Off Road with worse controls. Soccer is ridiculously frantic, especially at the higher levels, but still fun for an 8-bit soccer game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Micro Machines is one of my all time favorites also!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    The Quattro Sports games are fun, if not completely unrealistic. I wrote a review of it many years ago and it's probably floating around the internet somewhere, but here's a summary:

Tennis is great, simply because there's a million game bugs, such as the ability to hit the ball twice in the air. Baseball is crazy, because every fly ball has a strange hook to it that makes fielding an adventure. This also turns obvious foul balls into homeruns. The racing game is a rip-off of Super Off Road with worse controls. Soccer is ridiculously frantic, especially at the higher levels, but still fun for an 8-bit soccer game.
    Agreed. Quattro Sports was pretty good. Of course it helped that it was four games in one. None of them were worth $30-40 on their own, that's for sure, but altogether it wasn't a bad cart. That reminds me, I'd like to get another copy sometime.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Quattro Sports was kinda crap. The fact that the crappy racing game is the only memorable game off that cart for me doesn't bode well. I did get rather good at the game, but I didn't care for it. I'd rather play Super Off-Road or Super Sprint.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I actually really enjoyed Super Robin Hood... though I ended up getting stuck somewhere, not sure what to do. The Dizzy games were a lot of fun too, though I have the CD32 versions which are generally much better.

All in all, I think Codemasters was one of the best of the 3rd party developers for the NES.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wtuo

Quattro Adventure are some of the most irritating games I think i've ever played. I finished Linus Spacehead for some reason, but the rest of them I couldn't get even past the first couple of levels for just sheer frustration...

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I can see the basic criticisms on the Quattro Adventure cart ...

... when comparing each game to standard unlicensed NES games, much less middle to bottom tier licensed titles, it's really an above average collection with Linus Spacehead being the best of the bunch.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I recall, the Codemasters cartridges were supposed to send -10 (or something) volts to the 10NES chip. By the time the 10NES pulled the line back up to TTL levels, the game had already started and it was too late for the lockout to work. I have no idea if it's true, it's just what I read somewhere a long time ago.

Personally, I think the Quattro Adventure games are pretty good. If you want to know why magazines like Retrogamer rave about Dizzy games, you have to look at it from the perspective of a Sinclair Spectrum owner (the computer the Dizzy games were originally developed on). The games are head and shoulders above most Spectrum games, so most British gamers remember them fondly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't forget Quattro Arcade. The plane game in that pack is a great shooter. It's a wattered down version of Mig29 Soviet Fighter. If you like one, you like both. Another Dizzy game that more or less rips off pacman, a decent platformer called "CJ the Elephant," and a driving collection dune buggy game. I liked all the Quattro games but I think this one stands the tallest, but is a bit harder to find than the others.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love Micro Machines for the NES. Do the SNES and N64 versions compare favorably?