Thread: Am I the only person planning on picking up Cooking Mama 2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Am I the only person planning on picking up Cooking Mama 2?

I am a dork for this game, the DS version anyway. I have my reserve down, and I'm picking it up tomorrow. New recipes, new prep methods, and apparently they've changed how peeling works, which was one of the biggest gripes people had with the first game. I gotta make mama proud.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

On the topic of Cooking Mama, I thought the 1st was fun ... and I'll probably pick up the second when it hits the $20 price point.

But what I'm REALLY waiting for is for the damned Wii version to drop in price. I know Majesco usually wait a LONG time to drop the MSRP on their stuff new, but that one is long past due for a price drop ... I want it, but I'm not paying $50 for it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Strawberry (Level 2) The Great Dane's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original Cooking Mama for the DS is awesome. Its really the only DS game I play anymore, that and Trauma Center. I haven't played the Wii version, but I heard that it really wasn't very good, and that the controls weren't done very well.

Now, is Cooking Mama 2 on the DS or Wii, or both? I would love to get it either way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's for both systems. The DS version shipped today, and will be in stores tomorrow. The Wii version is coming out in a few months.

Right now, I'm only planning on getting the DS version, but if they vastly improved the Wii version, I could change my mind later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're not alone. My wife and I loved the first game and have been eagerly anticipating the second for some time now.

Strawberry (Level 2) The Great Dane's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    It's for both systems. The DS version shipped today, and will be in stores tomorrow. The Wii version is coming out in a few months.

Right now, I'm only planning on getting the DS version, but if they vastly improved the Wii version, I could change my mind later.
    Oh, okay. I will have to check out the DS version. I got the first one for Christmas last year, so I might have to ask for the new one this Christmas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Geez, the forum has been down, and I haven't been able to share my impressions! And I had been waiting so eagerly.

It's definitely good so far. Most everything returns from the last game. Lots of recipes to try to get gold medals on. The skill challenges return as well. There's some new stuff though.

Like, in the last game, all you had to do was "satisfy" each step in cooking a plate to get a gold medal. That's still true, but if you really blow through any step on any recipe, like doing it with more than half the time remaining or something like that, you get a bonus. After you accumulate five bonuses, you get a present. And the present is another unlockable thing.

To go hand-in-hand with the bonus awards, there seems to be a ton more unlockable stuff in this game. There are recipes, friends, ways to customize the look of the kitchen and your tools, accessories and alternate costumes for Mama. I've also unlocked a couple of things that I'm unsure what they do yet, heh.

There's a new mode where you cook for friends, I guess hence the name. It's not that different from normal cooking except that you don't get a break between rounds. It's like boom, boom, boom. Real quick. And by doing well, you unlock more things to cook for friends and new friends to cook for.

As far as the mechanics of the cooking, there seem to be a lot of new kinds of preparation, like pizza tossing, filleting, descaling, and so on.

And a old of the old ways of prepping have been changed around. Like in mixing, you get to choose whether to use a whisk or chopsticks. It's almost impossible to spill with chopsticks (spilling means failing), but you might need to use the whisk to do it fast enough to get a bonus. And they have a few different ways to add ingredients now. It's hard to describe, but they try to trick you by giving you fake ingredients. Stir frying is different, in that you have to keep stirring the ingredients around with the stylus to keep them from burning. But you also have to let them simmer a little bit so that they cook. Basically have them cooked just the right amount by the time the timer hits zero.

There seems to be a lot more American recipes in this game than the last one, if that entices you. Like, I've already made a pizza, peanut butter, t-bone steak, and I'm about to make an apple pie. I also made some corn soup, which looked disgusting while I was straining it, lol.

Anyway, if you liked the first game, get this one. It's largely the same, just with a lot more goodies and new ways to make food.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

God I love her accent.