Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Land 2

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Super Mario Land 2

Started playing through this a bit tonight. Damn fine Mario game for the GB! I haven't played a true Mario game in some time, and playing this brought me back.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Some of Gunpei Yokoi's finest work and a game I wish would have a direct sequel based upon the feel and look of this title.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It is a good one, well great actually. Really reminds me of Super Mario Bros 3. This your very first playthrough of the game or are you going back to it?

The only criticism I could ever give Super Mario Land 2 is the difficulty level. Some of the levels are a little short, especially if you rush straight to the end without exploring or grabbing coins. There are way too many coins, power-ups and free lives sprinkled around. Plus, the rabbit power up makes some of the levels way too easy since you can fly right through most of them untouched.

But that is all nitpicking. The graphics are great for a Gameboy game, especially compared to the first Super Mario Land. The level design is pretty good, with a lot of variety in the various stages/worlds. The six golden coins concept is kind of cool. The boss fights are a little challenging, too.

Of all of the Mario games that maintain their price ($10 or above) either online or in game stores, Super Mario Land 2 is one of the cheaper Mario games out there.

I really enjoyed the first two Super Mario Land games for Gameboy, even though they are really two different beasts.
    Last edited by bangtango; 11-18-2007 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Honestly the graphics are the first thing that attracted me to playing this on my gb collection. They're damn good for a pre-GB Color game! That and the grapihcs seemed to have kept their touch and gotten nicer with the Wario games!

I'll agree the levels do seem too short and playing through a few levels so far they're not as difficult as I'd like, per say.

What happens when you get 999 coins anyhow? This is my first actual play through, used to mess around with it early in my emulation days.

Now slightly off-topic, I have a game in the collection I made called Mario Land 4 which looks like it was never released here. Any thoughts or anything on this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

You know, I've never played this game, but have always wanted to. Perhaps I'll pick it up sometime this week.

Going only by gameplay time, how does it compare to New Super Mario Brothers?
    Welcome to Macintosh.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd compare SML2 closest to SMB3 or SMW. It's an odd game (level and enemy wise) to "regular SMB games (except 2) but its classic Mario. And it is way too easy to collect coins and lives in the game

Quote Originally Posted by kainemaxwell View Post
    What happens when you get 999 coins anyhow? This is my first actual play through, used to mess around with it early in my emulation days.
    The counter just stays at 999 I believe.

I'd just like to say that the music in "Space Zone 2" is the single greatest musical composition to ever come out of a Gameboy system.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'll admit the game does seem on the easy side, but it's fun. That's what counts with a Mario game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I enjoy Mario Land 2 very much. I used to play it to death as a kid. I did find a level increase glitch in the game where you can get 99 level count.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

It's original Gameboy games like Super Mario Land 2 that make me wish Nintendo would put gameboy games on the Wii's virtual console.

A great, and often overlooked Mario outing.

Feather hat FTW!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Indeed, a fine game and really quite creative at times, but as others have said, it's much too easy. The final boss(es) and perhaps the Three Little Pigs were the only tricky bits.

The Wario Land games that followed were considerably superior in many respects. (A "Wario Land All-Stars" compilation would be a fine thing indeed.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Super Mario Land 2 is more like a "regular" Mario game than the first Super Mario Land was. Plus the fireballs do not ricochet all over the place in Part 2. Both of them are still great games, though, but the stages from the first Super Mario Land are more challenging.

I am quite surprised to learn that so many people in this thread are either trying Super Mario Land 2 for the first time or have never played it before.

I'll end on this.

To this day, people still scratch their heads wondering why an underpowered, black and white portable system like the Gameboy could soundly beat competitors like the Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear. Easy. Games like Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2 and Link's Awakening were just plain better than anything on the competing portables from that era. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Gameboy may have had a ton of crap in the library but they also had just enough good games, which was a problem with their competitors from the early 1990's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Plus the fireballs do not ricochet all over the place in Part 2.
    They were Superballs and the flower turned you into Superball Mario in the original Super Mario Land.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    They were Superballs and the flower turned you into Superball Mario in the original Super Mario Land.
    Bah, same difference Truth is, I've owned the game nearly 20 years now, since the Gameboy's launch ('89?), and don't think I have ever read the SML manual (which I've managed to keep). Still have the very same copy of the game/manual.

As you might remember, the style of gameplay actually supported that. I always liked positioning myself in the perfect place to angle a Superball shot at an enemy sitting just out of reach or a bunch of coins on a platform above me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

amazing gb game. the coins are used to play minigames and win items at the cave next to the first level. best gb music ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

SML2 and Zelda are my favorite GB games of all time. Although I did play Tetris to death.

I tried SML1 but years after SML2...so I never got into it. I only played the first couple levels. It seemed more like a calculator version of Mario to me. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Mario Land 2 is an incredible GB title. Even to this day I love it to death, SML2 was the second game I got for my original gameboy. I remember my Dad taking me to K-Mart to get it on a saturday evening. Good memories indeed!

I try to play through SML2 every couple months, and even after all this time it still holds up very well. The graphics are superb for a GB title, the music is catchy, the worlds are varied and interesting, and I found the powerups to be fun to use/aquire. The only real downside? The game is a bit on the easy side, and I wish it was longer. Overall a 10/10 in my mind!

My top five GameBoy games...

1.Pokemon Red/Blue
    2.Donkey Kong '94
    3.Super Mario Land 2
    4.James Bond 007
    5.Wario Land 2

very Close runner up: Link's Awakening

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So, does everybody have a favorite zone? They all have their charms, I suppose. I think the Turtle Zone probably comes out on top in my book, what with those nifty submarine and whale-interior levels. The variety of enemies in the Mario Zone was pretty cool too; I often liked trying to take out some of the gears and such by throwing koopa shells at them.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    So, does everybody have a favorite zone?
    I liked the zone where you enter RoboMario's crotch.

Nah, I'm just kidding. It's been forever since I played SML2. And I mean forever. I don't think my copy has seen female cart contacts since the 90s. I played the hell out of it before I completely beat it, though. It was one of my favorite GB games. I was hooked for years. I still remember playing it in bed late at night after watching Nick at Nite in the summers when I was younger and my fingers going numb from the awkward positions I had my arms in so I could see the screen through the big magnifying light accessory I had.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    So, does everybody have a favorite zone?

Not really for the level, but the previously mentioned "Space Zone 2" has the sweetest music to come from a Gameboy speaker.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    Not really for the level, but the previously mentioned "Space Zone 2" has the sweetest music to come from a Gameboy speaker.
    Having just beaten Space Zone 2 I have to agree. Found a mp3 of the stage's music too!

2 more levels to go for me- Wario's Castle and Space Zone Secret. So far the game's easy, but it's fun! About the only spots I've had issues in were Space Zone 2 and fighting either the Witch or the Three Little Pigs. Other then that I'm still having fun!