Thread: 2 Sega Genesis 1

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 2 Sega Genesis 1

I just got 2 Sega genesis V1 from Ebay. 1 works perfect but the pins in the controller ports are bent real bad. The other one shows white lines when i turn it on and i couldn't figure out how to fix that but by accident i was flipping it on and off real fast and i got it to work and then when i tried again it didn't until i flipped it real fast again but now it just shows a black screen even if i flip it real fast.I used headphones to test if it was actually turning on and not showing picture and i got no sound so i think it is not working at all

My question is there anyway to fix both of them? or just make at least one to work? like fix the pins some how or just remove them from one and put them in the other? or can i somehow fix the one that is showing black screen only?

Thanks

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A really easy way I straighten pins of any electronics that have some integrity to them is I use a small security bit. The ones that have the hole in the center of them are great when small enough for encompassing the whole pin and allowing full control of it.

As for the the more electrical problem, I regret to inform you I don't know enough to answer that problem. Though by the sound of it, you could have a simple sticky switch, if you feel guttsey, take the top lid off of the system and test it by flicking the switch with your hands and not the sometimes cruddy switch attached to the lid of the Genesis V-1.
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Sounds like the second one needs to be cleaned. I can guarantee with almost 100% certainty that if the controller pins are bent they have also had their solder points broken from the board internally and will need to be reflowed. In other words, yes, they're totally repairable. However given the way the problems were presented, I'd assume that it's beyond your current capacity for repair knowledge.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The sticky switch idea would that prevent the system turning on at all? because right not it turns on because i can see the screen go black and the led turn red indicating that its on.

Just wondering thought to remove the game pad ports do i just heat up the soder thats holding the 9 pins? and it will just come down? beacuse when i flip the board i see whats holding the port couple screws and 9 points that look like the pins come through the holes and the soder keeps them in that place. Because i just might be able to do this doesn't look that hard unless what i am saying is wrong?

But i would still like to try to fix it unless thats the only option.

More info:
    the power unit i got is not a sega made one and i believe the RF thing is not as well looks very old but both of these made the other unit work so i believe its not the problem. Is it possible that i messed up the system because i was flipping it on and off real fast?
    before the screen had just normal static and when i flicked it on it would go black and have white lines all over the place but once i flicked it on and off maybe like 5 times really fast and stopped when the switch was at ON position i see the white text that shows up before the game loads. Now when i do this nothing happens screen is always black. And no sound at all even when i try to listen with headphones.

Well i hope i gave a little more information. and thanks for the help.

Sorry InsaneDavid i didn't see your post can u give me more information on what i need to do to try to clean it? like just remove dust or something special that i dont know of thanks.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

anyone have any ideas? please

thanks.

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-Controller port Gen.-
    Alright heres the deal. What was stated about the pins was this. They may be broken at the points they are soldered to the board, or could have snapped physically. Since you went over everything and it seems like you did so very throughly, then those are not your problems. If you haven't yet, try straightening out the pins and seeing if they work. Use one of those security bits, they work wonders for control and ease.

-No picture Gen.-
    As for the one you don't get a picture response from is this the case. Few things need to be known. When you turn it "on" do you get power light confirmation? Does the screen flicker to a constant black when you turn it on? If you answer yes to both of those, then go buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol, q-tips, and a toothbrush (or use an old one). From there clean all of your cart's contacts with q-tip dipped in the Alc. Carts are dirty even if they don't look so. Next dip the toothbrush in the bottle of alc. and brush the pins in the cartridge slot. Remember to brush short ways, in and out, and don't pull the brush longways, which can pull the pins out of alignment. If you do some research, you will find many different ways to clean pins. So do some searching, and let us know the results.

-Jeremy
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MonoTekETeA View Post
    -Controller port Gen.-
    Alright heres the deal. What was stated about the pins was this. They may be broken at the points they are soldered to the board, or could have snapped physically. Since you went over everything and it seems like you did so very throughly, then those are not your problems.
    You'd be surprised how many people overlook cracked solder joints when they don't know what they're looking for. Take a look at this thread for instance.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks i will try to straighten the pins but to me they look so bad like someone smashed them in with something. just cant do this yet since i don't have a security bit gotta go buy one i guess.

Just a question thought if my carts are dirty would they work in one but not in another genesis? And my genesis did work, when i turned it on the screen had black and white lines going all over the place now it turns on only black and yes the red light goes on. So maybe me switching it on real fast some how got lucky? and it worked? could this mean that the part that u put in the card can be dirty?
    Last question what about the alcohol is that safe to use inside there? Oh and i use my headphones just to test if it is turning on and sound is coming out sometimes when i turn it on it makes a humming noise.

Thanks guys i will try those things out as soon as i can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EMKO View Post
    Thanks i will try to straighten the pins but to me they look so bad like someone smashed them in with something. just cant do this yet since i don't have a security bit gotta go buy one i guess.
    Just use a pair of needlenose pliers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I cleaned a couple games and the genesis cartridge holder even made it a tighter fit since it was kinda lose and cleaned it with q tips and alcohol couldn't figure out how to do it with a toothbrush i even dipped a cloth in alcohol and used a credit card to make a flat shape with the card and stuck it in and out many times no dirty came out and it still only shows the the system is on but no picture or sound.

one question thought can a power supply make this happen even thought it works on another genesis? i used a AC/DC adapter output 9V 700mA this one works perfect on the other genesis maybe the one i have right now has different hardware? but this doesn't make sense why it turned on and played games after i flipped the on/off switch like 10x and on the 11time i put on to the ON side. That worked many times with all the games until the screen just shows black when i turn it on before to get it to work it had white/black lines going all over the screen. Now that he screen only goes to black it never has got a game to load so i guess i cant fix this

Can i use a sodering iron and melt the soder that holds the control ports into the board and take them out? and put them into the working genesis that has bad ports? This is my last resort if i cant fix the one with the good ports.

thanks for the help guys

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

haha after like 1 hour of moving the pins around testing if it fits in the pads and then moving them again i finally got both ports lined UP

and the good thing is all buttons work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

one question thought can a power supply make this happen even thought it works on another genesis? i used a AC/DC adapter output 9V 700mA this one works perfect on the other genesis maybe the one i have right now has different hardware?
    Wrong plug, don't do anything else until you replace it with a proper one. Genesis Model 1 power supply spec...

Model 1602-1
    10VDC @ 1.2A, negative tip

Before continuing with diagnostics find a power supply at 10VDC and at least 1.2A with a negative tip. If that power supply is running your other Genesis you should stop using it, it's massively (about only half the amperage) underrated.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh wow so its bad to use a power supply thats lower then it should be? i thought using to much would be bad. To bad i cant find any at my house that have those ratings all of them have very low amperage. Can i brake my genesis if i keep using it with this supply?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

oh wow so its bad to use a power supply thats lower then it should be? i thought using to much would be bad. To bad i cant find any at my house that have those ratings all of them have very low amperage. Can i brake my genesis if i keep using it with this supply?
    It's entirely possible to cause damage, especially considering how different the output of the adapter you're using is. Voltage should always be as close as possible to spec, 0.5V either way (0.5V over or under spec) is usually fine for most circuits. As for amperage, circuits only draw what they need - you could use a 10A power supply and the console would only draw the 1.2A it needs. Before moving on to anything else, get a compatible adapter and use that for testing from then on.

Considering the amount of board revisions Sega did on all their systems (especially Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 systems), one of them may be more tolerate than the other but you should discontinue using that incorrect adapter just the same.