Thread: General RF/Composite/S-Video/RGB Scart question (Multi systems)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default General RF/Composite/S-Video/RGB Scart question (Multi systems)

Hi

I've got a few systems and use different cables and just wanted to know your opinions on how S-video stands between them and if its worth me craning around the back of the tv to use it (its harder to get to than the RGB Scart input! - I'm in the UK btw)

I use composite cables for the Atari 8-bit and PS2.
    Scart RGB for the Sega Multimega.
    Have had an N64 in storage and hooked it with the RF cable that came with it,
    and the picture looks very washed out compared to the other systems. However, I do at least get a picture, on the other hand the Snes is a different story...

Last week found a Snes in the loft, the power light comes on, but when I plug the RF cable in I get no picture at all. The tv screen changes a tiny bit but its mainly interference maybe? It's basically the same as if I hadn't switched the Snes on, i.e., there's a slight bit of colour in the background but there ain't a picture!

I also had the same result when I took the RF cable for the N64 out of its modulator and put it in the Snes.

Just today I've "found" an S-video port on the back of the tv and was wondering about getting a cable and using it. I decided not to because its in an awkward position with my set up as the pc desk is that side of the tv.
    The S-Vid port has the white and red audio jacks next to it, so I asssume you plug those three in and leave the yellow cable dangling?

I have a Nintendo Compositr cable on order, so I should be able to use that about the Snes and N64, but was thinking that S-Video is the only picture type I haven't seen for myself. Google says its better than Composite but not as good as Scart RGB.

The S-Video cables I've seen are only £1 or £2 more than a Composite, so that's no problem, it's just that its a bitch to plug it in, because of where the tv is, at least with Composite I just plug them in the front.

Does anyone use S-Video and Composite leads with their setups regularly, and do you notice a big difference?
    Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As you're in the UK, you should be running all your consoles with RGB Scart cables. And yes, you'll certainly notice the difference between the different types of cable. Other than a NES you really shouldn't be running anything via the RF cable. S-Vid is better than composite but not as good as true RGB.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    As you're in the UK, you should be running all your consoles with RGB Scart cables. And yes, you'll certainly notice the difference between the different types of cable. Other than a NES you really shouldn't be running anything via the RF cable. S-Vid is better than composite but not as good as true RGB.
    Thanks for the info. I know ideally I should be using Scart, I am a bit hesitant to get the specific UK Scart lead for the Snes from, say, Raven Games in London. I know a lot of these cables aren't suitable for PAL, but Raven say they stock ones for specifically UK and US consoles. This is only because, there is one thing I'm confused about when using my scart with the Sega. It cuts of a tiny bit off from the left hand of the screen, e.g., in Sonic, the text on the left read "core" "ime " and "ings".

Might that be something to do with the tv itself? Guess I'll hook up the other Sega in the loft and see if it behaves in the same way.
    I sure hope a scart lead won't do this for the Snes, but didn't want to risk the more expensive cost, so went for a Composite lead for it instead.
    Last edited by olliesfollies; 11-23-2007 at 04:23 PM.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by olliesfollies View Post
    I am a bit hesitant to get the specific UK Scart lead for the Snes from, say, Raven Games in London. I know a lot of these cables aren't suitable for PAL
    They never made TV's with SCART connectors in North America, and if I'm not mistaken, Japanese SCART wasn't very popular either, so I think you're pretty safe.

--Zero