Thread: is there a noticeable difference in backwards compatibility between 60 & 80GB PS3?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Default is there a noticeable difference in backwards compatibility between 60 & 80GB PS3?

topic says it all. i think i wanna go get a ps3 now so i can play my ps1 and ps2 games upconverted through hdmi and 1080p. So what i would like to know is should i track down a 60gb or just go for the 80gb version? money & bundles isnt a problem, i just want the best backwards compatibility.

thanks.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well i can't give you precentages or anything but from everything i ever heard there is certainly a diffrence. theres apperently enough diffrence that Sony has two seperate compatability menus for the 60 and 80 GB versions on their website.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

60gb is the way to go for max compatibility, but the 80 isn't too shabby either. The compatibility on the 80 has gone up quite a bit since its introduction in the UK, but it's still not up to snuff with the 20/60.

PS1 emulation across all models of PS3s are the same, so if you get stuck in a pinch but really want to enjoy HDMI goodness w/ your PS1 games, you can snag a 40 and be happy.

If you don't need the card readers or wi fi, you may want to explore the possibility of getting a 20gb on the cheap (assuming you can find it). Looks a bit nicer than the other models (all black) and if you've got a wireless bridge at your entertainment center then you'll still be able to hop online and snag those demos and PSN games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    well i can't give you precentages or anything but from everything i ever heard there is certainly a diffrence. theres apperently enough diffrence that Sony has two seperate compatability menus for the 60 and 80 GB versions on their website.
    Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    PS1 emulation across all models of PS3s are the same, so if you get stuck in a pinch but really want to enjoy HDMI goodness w/ your PS1 games, you can snag a 40 and be happy.
    Ok... Sony is definitely getting all of us confused with all those models...

1- There's no backward compatibility in the 40Gb model... is it different with the NA 40gb model?? If not, you can't snag a 40 and be happy...

2- The difference between the 60 and the 80 is that the 80 is backward compatible via EMULATION and the 60 is backward compatible via an hardware PS2 inside the PS3 (emotion engine chip...)

If backward compatibility is important to you, get a 60 (or a 20...)... you'll get a true PS2 inside...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Virtualogik View Post
    1- There's no backward compatibility in the 40Gb model... is it different with the NA 40gb model?? If not, you can't snag a 40 and be happy...

2- The difference between the 60 and the 80 is that the 80 is backward compatible via EMULATION and the 60 is backward compatible via an hardware PS2 inside the PS3 (emotion engine chip...)
    1 - There's no PS2 emulation on the 40Gb. It still does PS1 emulation exactly like the other PS3 models (and better than the initial PS2, from what I've seen; Tomba works!). Probably because the PS1 emulation is almost completely software based anyway (and has been since the PStwo, I believe). Plus, they've got those downloadable PS1 games on PSN they gotta sell.

2 - 60 and 80 both emulate the PS2 to varying degrees with the 20/60 benefitting from having the EE in addition to the PS2 GPU. The 80 removes the EE chip (which is why its not quite as compatible as the 20/60, but it reportedly has some nice side effects in games that work, such as slowdown being less prevalent) and the 40 removes the GPU (not emulated yet, if ever), which totally kills PS2 support. If Sony ever decides to invest the time and money into emulating the PS2 GPU (necessary if we want games to actually render in HD instead of upscaling to HD) then the 40 will magically fit the bill.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i have another question, how does the ps3 handle 4-player ps2 games? if at all. also, can i use my ps2 controllers on the ps3? can i use 4 of them? do i need a multitap etc.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    i have another question, how does the ps3 handle 4-player ps2 games? if at all. also, can i use my ps2 controllers on the ps3? can i use 4 of them? do i need a multitap etc.
    The PS3 can do up to and including 7 players. 8th player isn't supported. Still, that's a lot more than you're probably ever going to need. If you need 8 players, keep a PS2 and a couple multitaps around.

I haven't used any PS2-PS3 USB converters, but I hear that some of them do work. I don't know how the PS button functions with them, though. I guess it simply doesn't. But then I don't know how the system would assign those controllers.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    1 - There's no PS2 emulation on the 40Gb. ...Probably because the PS1 emulation is almost completely software based anyway (and has been since the PStwo, I believe).
    No. The PS2 joystick controller is a PS1 CPU. It runs the games directly from the hardware using that CPU.

2 - The 80 removes the EE chip (which is why its not quite as compatible as the 20/60, but it reportedly has some nice side effects in games that work, such as slowdown being less prevalent)
    No wonder it's broke. When I heard Sony was supporting PS1/2 games via "software emulation" I made-up my mind right then and there, I had to keep my old PS2.

The PS3's emulation is too buggy to be considered robust.

At least with the PS2 I know my current library of ps1/2 games will keep working.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by veronica_marsfan View Post
    No. The PS2 joystick controller is a PS1 CPU. It runs the games directly from the hardware using that CPU.
    I was under the impression that the R3000a was removed in the PStwo design and replaced with a PowerPC 440 chip as part of their cost reductions (and unfortunately breaking compatibility a bit).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

topic says it all. i think i wanna go get a ps3 now so i can play my ps1 and ps2 games upconverted through hdmi and 1080p. So what i would like to know is should i track down a 60gb or just go for the 80gb version? money & bundles isnt a problem, i just want the best backwards compatibility.

thanks.
    play your ps1 games on ya standard def tv, trust me, ps1 games look like fuckin shit in hd for the most part, the most u can shoot for is games lookin about the same, ps2 games on the other hand, the ones that support progressive scan obviously do look better, now whether or not it looks better in progressive or with the ps3 smoothing option turned on is debatable, but what isnt debatable is progressive enabled games on a ps3 look light years better when played thru the ps2 component cables as opposed to using hdmi cables (fro what i've seen anyway)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i dont have a SDTV anymore. i hate them. always have. right now im running my systems though Xblaster (basically a vga box, vga - component).

i want to move as much as i can to my hdmi tv set. as soon as i have the extra cash and the hardware drops in price a bit, ill buy an upconverting 1080p receiver.

well thanks guys for the support, heres what i gathered so far:

-multiplayer ps1/2 games w/ 4 player support work perfectly with 4 ps3 controllers
    -20 & 60gb models have a ps2 chip enabling the best BC.
    -80gb model uses software emulation for BC, yet supposedly is just as good
    -40gb model is incapable of ps2 gameplay BUT plays ps1 games fine.

now i just want some verification that the BC between 60 & 80 is same (or what is different)

thank you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

now i just want some verification that the BC between 60 & 80 is same (or what is different)
    A great way to check in advance how your games will play on a 60 or 80 is through Sony's Compatibility Page.

For instance:
    Kya: Dark Lineage
    60: No major problems for this title.
    80: During various FMV/FMA sequences throughout the title, the FMV/FMA plays at approximately 95% of the normal performance speed.

Jak & Daxter
    80: Throughout gameplay, when the user's character collects a precursor orb, the title freezes for approximately 55 seconds.

Rygar
    80: No major problems for this title.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
    80: At various points throughout gameplay, the title performs at a significantly slower than normal performance speed.

etc etc. There's a ton of games that work fine and there's a bunch that have random issues. How much that matters to you depends on which games you own, I guess

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Been doing lots of research on this myself, since i'm getting a PS3 this Christmas. Pretty much the verdict is that if you care about PS2 Compatibility, getting anything other then the 60GB model is pointless. Especially since they are still available at retail.

Circuit City is where i specifically seen some.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Mangar View Post
    Been doing lots of research on this myself, since i'm getting a PS3 this Christmas. Pretty much the verdict is that if you care about PS2 Compatibility, getting anything other then the 60GB model is pointless. Especially since they are still available at retail.

Circuit City is where i specifically seen some.
    Exactly. If you want to play PS2 games, get a 60 gig. End of story.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)