Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still playing GBA and not moved on to DS or PSP?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone still playing GBA and not moved on to DS or PSP?

Anyone still stuck with the GBA and not moved up to a PSP or DS?

I ride the train to and from work and I am usually playing a GBA game. Bear in mind that I am a 30-something year old man wearing dress clothes. I get a lot of weird looks, occasionally followed by people whipping out their cell phones to see if they have any games worth playing. It's not a long ride but I'd rather play a game than read a few pages of a book, stare off into space, or talk LOUDLY on the f-king phone like some people tend to do.

One time a guy with a PSP stared at me with what seemed to be a look of pity. Another guy was talking to his friend and saying "That's just an SP" but was interested in what I was playing once I sat down (Shining Force).

I have no desire to upgrade yet for a variety of reasons-

1. The PSP is too big and has a shorter battery life
    2. The DS is too fragile to be dropped/nudged whilst on a busy train and the stylus gets on my nerves
    3. The GBA is cheap, small, and has great battery life
    4. The GBA library is huge and has plenty of games that are great for adults. I've been playing Shining Force for MONTHS (I'm now seeing if I can beat the game using nothing but spell-casting characters) and then I plan to move onto Tactics Ogre, then Fire Emblem, then Advance Wars, then Golden Sun, the FF Tactics, then who knows what else.

I can see myself not upgrading for years (though I do want a PSP pretty badly). Anyone else like this? Is this yet another case of people looking down on an older system just because it's no longer a current system with no more new games being released?
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you ever consider one of the GB Micros ?

FRED

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heavens no. My problem is, "Can I move on from the DS to a next-gen console?" I have a Wii, but I barely touch it, and I don't even have a PS3 or a 360. I basically just play retro games and my DS lately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who says you need to "upgrade". Heck I just bought another GBA not that long ago specifically so I could get the one with the brighter screen for my Gameboy games..

And this was after I already had 2 or 3 DS's and a PSP... matter o' fact you can see both in this pic right here of me showing off my Mario Picross

Just get one and add it to your collection. The DS plays GBA games anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never heard of the DS being fragile. I have an ice blue lite and its been dropped and nudged before with no problems. Although I do have a cool silicone type protector case on it. My hacked PSP is great with all my psx games and emulators on it.

As a side note I wish I could ride a train to work! I would love to be able to spend an hour reading or gaming than being stuck in traffic with NPR being the only thing that I can listen to because all the music stations here suck.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2. The DS is too fragile
    Seriously? I've beat the hell out of my DS and never had a problem with it. My GBA SP, on the otherhand, had its screen smashed by a poorly pressurized cabin on a Continental flight.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    xL0RD HELMETx

As far as handhelds go, I play the PSP and DS exclusively now. I don't even own a GB or GBA any more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

DS is not fragile. Mine's survived an accident trip in the washing machine, and STILL runs perfectly.

Plus, its the ideal machine for you. Not only can you play the GBA games you love so much, but you can play their natural successors too.

PSP is a great system also, but to be honest I play emulators more than real games on it. The Analog nub is also very small and gives me cramp in my thumb if I play too long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Fishsammich is not alone. I'm still pretty entrenched with my GBA SP. Brought it to work today, in fact, so I could play Final Fantasy Adventure over lunch.

I've bought two DS's in the last year: One was a basket case which I repaired and gave to my son and the other was a birthday present for my daughter. The kids love `em and both get a lot of play out of their systems. But as for me, I just haven't seen enough compelling DS titles yet to wean me off the SP. I bought the first Phoenix Wright title, played through half of it, and promptly lost interest. Advance Wars DS looks cool, but I just recently played through both of the GBA Advance Wars titles recently and I try to alternate game types to keep things fresh. Phantom Hourglass is something I definitely want to play, but it's still new so I'm in no especial hurry for it.

I have zero-interest in the PSP. So...nope. My trusty SP is doing well by me just fine for the forseeable future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I play my original purple Game Boy Advance every day on the subway...usually Tetris, but sometimes Castlevania, Super Mario World, or Klax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Nothing wrong with the GBA SP at all. If you're still playing on an original GBA though....why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I love my Game Boy Advanced SP. Its shape is so perfect, truly defining "portable gaming". I was playing Pokemon Yellow while waiting outside of Best Buy for Black Friday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Nothing wrong with the GBA SP at all. If you're still playing on an original GBA though....why?
    There's nothing wrong with my original GBA, that's why. It still works great. If it ever breaks, then I'll replace it with a second-generation GBA SP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought a DS shortly after they were released and I barely touch the thing. My GB Micro, which I bought after I realized that I only use my DS for GBA carts, actually gets a fair amount of use. I hate the DS button layout for GBA games, and the fact that the inputs can't be reconfigured just ruins it for that purpose.

There's really only a handful of DS games, current and upcoming, that I'm interested in, and after I've played them I'm getting rid of the system.

I've been tempted by the PSP numerous times over the past year or so, but it really is too big for my needs, and the loading times just ruin the convenience of portable gaming.

I'm thinking of picking up a GP2X mk2, but i've heard the dpad sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with my original GBA, that's why. It still works great. If it ever breaks, then I'll replace it with a second-generation GBA SP.
    The whole not being able to see a ton of screen details that you can see with the SP thing doesn't bother you?

I'm not trying to flame you, don't get me wrong, but never has a console improved so much in my eyes as when the GBA SP was introduced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    The whole not being able to see a ton of screen details that you can see with the SP thing doesn't bother you?

I'm not trying to flame you, don't get me wrong, but never has a console improved so much in my eyes as when the GBA SP was introduced.
    I know you're not flaming me. Thanks. In certain situations, the original GBA screen is too dark, but in NYC subway stations and on subway trains, it's perfectly fine.

I've found that looking directly at the original GBA screen is decent, but tilting the GBA away from me slightly and looking at the screen at an angle like that actually improves the picture. Maybe that sounds like it'd be awkward, but it really isn't.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 11-28-2007 at 01:10 AM.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I grew up playing the original GB system so I knew how to adjust the damn thing to get the best possible light.

However, I still feel that the GBA should have had some type of backlit screen.

I still have an original GBA because it isn't hard to hold (for me anyway) like the SP and it gives me the best all around compatibility with GB, GBC, & GBA games.

I don't need anything newer because I hardly play what I have and the $100+ for a DS or a PSP just isn't worth it.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fcw3 View Post
    Did you ever consider one of the GB Micros ?

FRED
    I have a micro and I like it but it's just too damn small, especially for some of the text-heavy strategy/RPG's I favor. It doesn't suit my man-hands well, either.

I should have mentioned I have a GBA SP, not the original... I never got into hand-held gaming until the N-Gage. Gotta have light! I never got truly into the Game Gear due to its weight and battery life, same for Turbo Express. I think I would have played the NGPC a lot more had it been back-lit.

Note: I finished Shining Force last night... for the 4th time! I think I am finally burned out on this game. This time I played it without any knights, archers, gladiators, etc. Just spell casters, healers, and the hero. Level up enough and you can beat anything with anyone.

I think I'll try Tactics Ogre or Advance Wars next.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich View Post
    I think I'll try Tactics Ogre or Advance Wars next.
    Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis is the best SRPG on the GBA (and probably in the top 5 GBA games, period). Play it immediately.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich View Post
    I never got truly into the Game Gear due to its weight and battery life, same for Turbo Express.
    How hilarious would it be to see someone riding the subway playing a huge old Game Gear?