Thread: Is Omega Boost > Panzer Dragoon?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is Omega Boost > Panzer Dragoon?

I recently picked up another yet sealed copy of Omega Boost for PlayStation, which is obviously based on the same lock-on shooting system that started with Panzer Dragoon on Saturn, but I'm wondering if (a) Omega Boost began as Polyphony Digital's attempt to surpass Panzer Dragoon and (b) if anybody thinks Omega Boost actually is a better game.

I just started collecting for Saturn within the last year, and haven't had a chance to play the original or Panzer Zwei. I've played Orta on Xbox, but I didn't like that one as much as Omega Boost or Rez, which is yet another game of this type.

I'm sure this will bring on the PlayStation vs. Saturn die-hards, so yes, I know what kind of flaming this thread may create already. Bring it on.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoyed it better than Panzer Dragoon but not nearly as much as Panzer Dragoon Zwei. I haven't put enough time into Orta to compare it against any of the other games. Also, Gamera 2000 stomps all over Omega Boost. Again, it's no Zwei, but god damn if it ain't the bee's knees.

Summary -> Panzer Dragoon Zwei > Gamera 2000 > Omega Boost > Panzer Dragoon > Rez

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh my God? You put Rez last?

I think Rez is perhaps the best evolution of these types of games. I liked Rez a lot more than Omega Boost and Panzer Dragoon Orta probably because of the whole experience involved. The music, the wireframe graphics, the ease of the combos - Rez is the whole package IMO.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rez isn't bad, but it's really not my cup of tea. It's all a matter of taste really, and I don't much care for the psychedelic cyberspace rave trip style of the game. It was neat at first, but really now a days I find it kind of dull. I firmly believe that you need to get stoned out of your fucking mind to really enjoy that game, and that's not something I really care to do.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I didn't mean my comment to come off in a negative way. I just assumed most people loved Rez because it's considered one of the best games for the Dreamcast and, in a way, the PS2. I've never played Rez under the influence so I can't speak on that either.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Rez is the best of these games really. Stoned or not (better stoned though) or have your GF over with the trance vibrator-good times. hehe.

I'd put the PD series right behind rez. Omega boost is good but not as good as these.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I' haven't played Omega Boost but adore the PD series. PD Zwei is one of the greatest shooters I've ever played, same goes with Orta which is my favorite game of the last generation. I dig Rez, am a huge supporter and have it for DC and PS2, but it's not in the same league. I'm def. interested in trying out OB now...
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Rez isn't bad, but it's really not my cup of tea. It's all a matter of taste really, and I don't much care for the psychedelic cyberspace rave trip style of the game. It was neat at first, but really now a days I find it kind of dull. I firmly believe that you need to get stoned out of your fucking mind to really enjoy that game, and that's not something I really care to do.
    Agreed....

I say the same thing about the Guitar Hero games. Sure the game is fun. But I just don't like 99% of the music on the games - just not a fan of most Rock after 1980. Rez is more my cup o' tea because I love electronic music, and spent a good portion of my life in clubs and raves.

To each his own, I guess....

Sorry to get off topic for a sec..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

I never really got into the Omega Boost game. I own it, and have played through it a few times, but for me it just doesn't have a good "Feel" like Panzer Dragoon does.

It could be the fact that PD came out first, and was a real technical achievement when it was released, or that Omega Boost was heavily overshadowed by other really solid games on it's release, but for me Panzer Dragoon wins this one hands down.
    Last edited by Juganawt; 12-01-2007 at 01:23 AM.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Gamera 2000 is an awesome game in all regards.

Rez is ok, as long as you play it through VGA. Well that's my opinion anyway.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I need to try Rez in VGA. Does anyone know though if Omega Boost was Sony's attempt to best Sega? If I'm not mistaken, Omega Boost was released in 1999, even though it may have been in development for a long time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No Vanark love...?

Seriously, that's a rail-shooter I'd recommend if it weren't for the clunky RE style story bits forced between every mission...

Sorry if I went slightly off-topic.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz View Post
    No Vanark love...?

Seriously, that's a rail-shooter I'd recommend if it weren't for the clunky RE style story bits forced between every mission...

Sorry if I went slightly off-topic.

You should see Gamera's story segments, heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The same company that made the Gran Turismo games made Omega Boost, correct? This thread reminds me that I still have a sealed copy of this game I picked up a few years back. I came close to trading it in with some games a few times but I'm glad I hung onto it. So it's similar to PD and Rez? Freaking sweet!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RegSNES View Post
    The same company that made the Gran Turismo games made Omega Boost, correct?
    Yea, and while you're checking out their stuff, check out Motor Toon Grand Prix (pt 2 if you're looking for the japanese version). Extremely fun cartoony racer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Yea, and while you're checking out their stuff, check out Motor Toon Grand Prix (pt 2 if you're looking for the japanese version). Extremely fun cartoony racer.
    Oh, I've got that as well. Really fun PSX racer. This company was pimping out the good stuff long before GT!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There must be a lot of sealed copies of this game floating around...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a tough call. I think Omega Boost is better paced and is a more technically impressive game, but I personally prefer the PD universe. Of course, I like Space Harrier better than any modern rail shooter, so what do I know?

I'm almost certain that I read somewhere that Omega Boost was developed by many of the same people as PD, after they left Sega. If I still had them both I'd check the credits, but I got rid of my saturn and PSX stuff ages ago.