Thread: Finally selling my uber AES

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Finally selling my uber AES

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-Neo-Geo-AES...QQcmdZViewItem

I think the description says it all. I want to see it get a good home- it was once the pride of my collection, but I just don't have room for all my systems anymore, and I need to clean house.

If anyone has specific questions, or would like me to *try* and take a specific photo, I will provided you're serious.

Just a few highlights- HDTV output (component), S-Video, and Composite. has the tiniest little marring by the original A/V output (I can't get it to show up in a photo).

Serial Number: 102255. Box matching Console matches Original Warranty Card. This is a Japanese system with a UniBIOS.

Auction included a Hori Fight Stick and all 3 games I have for the system.

Thanks guys!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Moving to Everything eBay

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bumpity bump

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bump
    just over 8 days left for this collector piece. You won't find many like it, ever.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bumpity bump bump

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just 6 days left to get this rare collectors item!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't forget- you can still win even if the reserve is not met via Second Chance- so bid bid bid!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are the componet outputs actually "HD" (720p, 1080i, or 1080p), or is it just a standard RGB to component video conversion outputing "SD" (480i)?
    www.VikingVideoGames.com
    Home of the Mini ColecoVision

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not wide screen, but I'm not entirely sure. I know the picture is much better, but I haven't hooked it up to my current TV in HD to see. My TV would tell me the output..HMMM maybe I'll do that today.

The last I used the HD was on an old tube-set sony, last of it's kind, and the difference was amazing. Some games even on the Composite seem to fill a lot of my widescreen now, so who knows what would happen in HD. I would presume it would be a 480p if nothing else.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For it to be anything over/above "SD" (480i), it would have to have at minimum, a de-interlacer installed which would take it to "ED" (480p). Above that ("HD") it would need to have an up-scaller installed. I was just curious because I've seen a few of these "HDTV" modded NEO-GEOs up on ebay, and just couldn't imagine that someone installed either into a NEO console. I assume the "HDTV" label comes from the fact that it has component video outputs which have the capable bandwidth of up to 1080i. I think most people don't realize that component cables also display 480i as well.
    www.VikingVideoGames.com
    Home of the Mini ColecoVision

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to test it out today and report back!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doubledownon11 View Post
    For it to be anything over/above "SD" (480i), it would have to have at minimum, a de-interlacer installed which would take it to "ED" (480p). Above that ("HD") it would need to have an up-scaller installed. I was just curious because I've seen a few of these "HDTV" modded NEO-GEOs up on ebay, and just couldn't imagine that someone installed either into a NEO console. I assume the "HDTV" label comes from the fact that it has component video outputs which have the capable bandwidth of up to 1080i. I think most people don't realize that component cables also display 480i as well.

Ok, here's what I've found out testing between my LCD 16:9, and my older sony 4:3 XBR (HD CRT circa 2002)-

1) even in 4:3 on the LCD (a Samsung 5265), which I have to "force" it into, btw, the resolution is listed as 720x480 and looks fine. At 16:9 it fills my screen with no stretching notable, which makes sense as the native resolution is still listed as 720x480 (still widescreen/barely HD).

2) running the component through a receiver with HDMI output into my Samsung and using the feature known as "JustScan", which is a wonderful feature that displays the native signal I get 720x480 15hz/60hz, fills my screen. Notable at extreme right/left viewing angles (which isn't good for a LCD anyway) are vertical lines of some dark color, which when viewing properly from the front aren't there. Maybe it's just my brand of TV, dunno.

3) Running on the Sony in 4:3 out of the component everything filled the screen, vibrant colors, but it couldn't tell me anything regarding the resolution. (I just wanted to check it out since I had it out, previously only having plugged up the composite to verify it all works).

4) I rechecked the sound slider, the UniBIOS v2.0, ran all 3 of the games I am giving away with the system, and tested the stereo channels to verify both function.

5) Did not test S-Video, but honestly, between Composite and Component.

Now, I dunno if the native resolution for SNK titles was 720 or not, but my LCD is pretty thorough, heck, I can even adjust color channels through the HDMI (which, unlike many HDMI TV's, it'll accept sound through). 720 is what it's showing, but there's no way it was 1080i or 1080p. I did not think to try and force upscaling with any other device. And yes, my TV can get 1080i/p via Component.

Hope this helps answer a question. Sadly I'm not the most technical person beyond being able to hook all this stuff up, and knowing the difference between 480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p.
    Last edited by Meesterjojo; 12-08-2007 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

720x480 is standard def resolution. The Neo is actually 240 non-interlaced horizontal lines, and in effect, already a progressive scan console. 720x480 is not a widescreen resolution, either - the aspect ratio is 1.33:1, and the pixels aren't square either (ratio of 1:0.9)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand how 720 is not widescreen when paired with 480..720 x 480...

Regardless, you're saying the normal resolution of the Neo was lower than normal TV? So maybe this component mod is upscaling?

Btw, 720 is not Standard def resolution in America, or, well, any country in the world. PAL is 576, right? NTSC is 480? Lower than standard is 240 or 288?

Doesn't matter, there's a little under 2 days left, and clearly this mod is working. It's apparently not the 1080i some of the detractors would like. So bid often!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

720x480 is a standard def resolution. The hi-def modes - 720p, 1080i, etc. - refer to the number of horizontal lines, which is the 480 part of 720x480. 720 pixels per row (x), 480 rows per frame (y).

720x480 is a loose standard for a digitized NTSC video signal. From a consumer standpoint, it's the resolution that MiniDV and Digital8 use, and have used since their pre-hi-def inception in the 90's.

720x480 is not widescreen, because a square TV isn't square, and the square pixels aren't square either, not when displayed on an analog NTSC television.

All Neo games were written for 320x240 resolution. I don't think any of them featured an interlaced mode hack which could provide 320x480.

Anyway, you have a very nice Neo, but it has a basic RGB->Component transcoder and not an upscaler or anything like that.