Thread: Converting MVS 1 slot to a 2-4 slot?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Converting MVS 1 slot to a 2-4 slot?

How much work is involved? Does anything really need to be done other than changing the marquee and adding a switch to change games?

Reason is I have a lead on a SUPER CHEAP MVS woody... but it's a single-slot.

Any help is appreciated.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

I thought all you needed was a motherboard that had the extra slots in them. I know they go up to 6 slots, and if it isn't a dedicated Neo Geo Cabinet, I think the 2-6 motherboards need some kind of extra adapter.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neo Geo is a JAMMA board, so you shouldn't need a special adapter, as long as your JAMMA harness supports four buttons. The mobo's come in a single, 2, 4, or 6-slot format. If you have a single slot in a woody, then you need to change the mobo in order to have two game capability. If this is a home piece, just open it up and switch carts, it's the cheapest way to go. If you are putting this thing on location, and you want the two-slot option, then you'll need a board. Either someone here, or Ebay should have something.
    I would expect to pay $75-125 for a 2 slot (dependin on whether or not it comes with games).
    Also, if you do end up buying this cabinet, be sure you remove the cartridge BEFORE moving the game. Is it absolutely necessary? No, but with the bouncing and jouncing around, it tends to beat up the pins that make contact, and makes the cartridge slot difficult to work with (i.e. plugging in a cart 20 times to get it to load properly).
    Usually what I do; open up the cash box, stick the power cord and game(s) in there, and remove the gold plastic mini-marquee (I have lost these in transit before). There is one connector on the back of the mini-marquee for the backlight, just unplug it and you'll be ok.
    All in all, I say go for it. Neo has a lot to offer as far as versatility and gameplay. It is an extremely effecient way to get a 100 in one arcade machine, more or less. (Takes up much less space as well.) The 19" "woody", in my experience anyways, runs very well, I've had very few problems with mine, so I think you'll be happy with it, and it sounds like the right price. Good luck, and if you decide to buy it, enjoy!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, the 1 slot is JAMMA, the rest are a slightly modified pinout. You'll need to make/buy an adapter to play a 2+ slot in a JAMMA cab.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DogP View Post
    Actually, the 1 slot is JAMMA, the rest are a slightly modified pinout. You'll need to make/buy an adapter to play a 2+ slot in a JAMMA cab.

DogP
    Slightly modified how? IIRC, I've thrown JAMMA boards in a 4-slot cab, and no problems. Vice-Versa with a 2 or 4 slot board in a Dynamo box, screen lights up. Are you thinking of the pinout for the extra button? Just asking, 'cause as far as I know, you can get a picture and etc. all day long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

anything above a 1 slot, such as the 2, 4, or 6 slot, would need to different wiring harness because of the extra button required to switch between games. switching out an mvs motherboard wouldn't just be a simple plug in.....
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep in mind I never said I actually PLAYED it, just plugged in to test and see the monitor light up.....So, as far as that goes, it IS JAMMA (at least, that's the way *I* see it)

I actually didn't think about the switch game button, so yeah, I guess you do need a little extra wiring for a 2 or more slot...ah, well, live and learn, or at least be reminded lol

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

The game select switch is a very simple thing. All you need is a button of some kind, connect it to the pin (26 or d, if you want to cycle up or down) on the JAMMA harness and the common ground and you'd be in business. That's really the only difference and it's not that big of a deal. All the A/V*, power and controlls are the same.

Check this pdf: http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma...SlotPinout.pdf

The left is your one slot pinout, the right is the 2+.

If you want to be lazy, you can just do nothing and let the board cycle through the games on it's own on attract mode, but trust me, you'll spend more time purchasing the parts to wire up a button than you will actually hooking it up. It is really that easy.

* there is a slight difference with the sound as the 2+ boards do stereo through the harness. You should be ok as the way they 1 slot is, you'll just get mono sound anyway.
    Last edited by Captain Wrong; 12-08-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does the cabinet have a game select button slot already? (Drilling into the metal and making keeping the overlay nice and pretty might take a bit of work.)

Is it a dedicated "big red", or some conversion job?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Does the cabinet have a game select button slot already? (Drilling into the metal and making keeping the overlay nice and pretty might take a bit of work.)

Is it a dedicated "big red", or some conversion job?
    No game select cause it's a dedicated one-slot woody.

Shouldn't be that big of a deal to drill a hole through it and mount a push-button switch.

Thanks a lot for all the replies, this has been highly informative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Also, if you don't feel like drilling any your don't mind looking a little ghetto, you can always just have a simple and small push button switch and just sit it in the coin box. That's what I did with my Missle Command multi board to switch between the two games.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong View Post
    If you want to be lazy, you can just do nothing and let the board cycle through the games on it's own on attract mode, but trust me, you'll spend more time purchasing the parts to wire up a button than you will actually hooking it up. It is really that easy.

* there is a slight difference with the sound as the 2+ boards do stereo through the harness. You should be ok as the way they 1 slot is, you'll just get mono sound anyway.
    Wait, 1 slot mvs boards are mono only? I'm not lazy, but I'm not good with stuff like soldering, is the button adding that hard?
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Adding the button is super easy. You probably won't even need to solder. If it's a standard JAMMA harness, all you'd need to do is fin the pins on the connector and splice the button to the wires coming off those pins.

As far as MVS 1 boards being mono, IIRC there's a board you can get to add stereo, but yeah, they're mono. There's like six different MVS-1 variations, so I may be mistaken. One of the reasons I went for a two slot was so I didn't have to worry about it.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the button differences... the 4th button isn't actually a JAMMA standard, only through button 3 is. Typically if a game has over 3 buttons it uses a different harness (Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Tekken, etc). Then there's the button to switch games.

The other real difference is the audio. Since the speaker on the JAMMA connector is on L and 10, what you get if you hook it up to a JAMMA connector is the difference between the left and right channels. I've had several NG cabs that someone just hooked up to a JAMMA connector.... Any time the same sound is played on the left and right speaker, no sound plays.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah there's different variations of 1-slots....what do you have...an MV-1C?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

also mono and stereo.

My one slot and cab were in mono. I had to convert my cab to stereo in order for my 4 slot to work.