Thread: Xbox Originals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

Default Xbox Originals

So along with the Fall dashboard update, Microsoft added Xbox Classics to the Marketplace today. All of the games have been set at 1200 MS points ($15 USD) and include a downloadable manual.

Here is the official website: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox...ls/default.htm

Games Released:
    Psychonauts
    Halo
    Indigo Prophecy
    Fuzion Frenzy
    Fable
    Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
    Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of the Cortex

So who's downloading what?
    Last edited by monkeysuit; 12-04-2007 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

The prices are high for some of those, but I may download Psychonauts. Good to see Crimson Skies on there, although you can get that at any Gamestop for like 4 bucks.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$15? Can't you buy all of those games for less than that in physical form if you get them used?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    $15? Can't you buy all of those games for less than that in physical form if you get them used?
    I was thinking the same thing, but this is something that may appeal to people who want to play a full xbox game without having to drive to the store or isn't quite up to date on prices. Do these games come with Achievements?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am highly disappointed that they chose to not update the games at all. No achievements, no Live play, and no guide button access during gameplay. I was looking at a thread about this on the Xbox.com forums, and I saw where one of their mods tried to spin the situation. They said the "coolness" of this is that you can download the games and you "don't have to mess with a disc". WTF? I think they really dropped the ball on this one...
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That list you posted doesn't match your link.

According to that link, the games are:

Crash Bandicoot
    Crimson Skies
    Fable
    Fusion Frenzy
    Halo
    Indigo Prophecy
    Psychonauts

I'll probably test it out sometime soon and pick up Fable, Indigo Prophecy, and Psychonauts. Missed out on those the first time around.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

No achievements?

Nah.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Count me out too. The only one of those games I'm somewhat interested in that I don't already physically own is Indigo Prophecy, and I'm not stupid enough as a consumer not to know that I can pick it up cheaper used and have an actual disc, not a huge file sitting on my paltry 20gb hard drive. The pricing on these is absurd considering they didn't really do anything but allow them to sit on a hard drive.

On the other hand, I'm seriously considering downloading Twisted Metal 2 ($5.99) from the Playstation Store....me and Mr. Grimm had some good times back in the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

Do these games come with Achievements?
    Unfortunately, no.

That list you posted doesn't match your link.
    Fixed.

The lack of achievements really is disappointing. I'm pretty sure that Crimson Skies has Live play though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monkeysuit View Post
    The lack of achievements really is disappointing. I'm pretty sure that Crimson Skies has Live play though.
    I think I speak for a lot of people when I say the biggest disappointment is no online play for Halo 1. I know from a programming standpoint it would not have been an easy task, but it would have sure made it worth the 15 clams.
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Only a sucker or someone extremely lazy would buy these games for $15 a pop. How hard is it to find a place that sells used games? To each their own I guess. Anyway, as I've mentioned in a previous thread, this downloadable full game bullshit is a slippery slope.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bitNesMan View Post
    I think I speak for a lot of people when I say the biggest disappointment is no online play for Halo 1. I know from a programming standpoint it would not have been an easy task, but it would have sure made it worth the 15 clams.
    Oh, yeah, of course I agree with you. To me $15 is extremely too much to pay for most of these games. Actually, another issue that hasn't been brought up is the size of these games! If you plan on downloading and keeping a lot of these games, you better start looking into a 120 GB hard drive.

Psychonauts (Majesco) - 3.9GB
    Indigo Prophecy (Atari) - 1.9GB
    Fuzion Frenzy (MGS) - 2.0GB
    Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge (MGS) - 4.1GB
    Fable (MGS) - 3.2GB
    Halo (MGS) - 2.3GB
    Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of the Cortex (Vivendi Games) - 935MB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dtolley
    PSN
    dtolley

So is anyone against buying games this way? Although it's a great way for other people to experience some good games they may have missed, it is just adding to the inevitable digital distribution that I believe we all dread as collectors. Most have mentioned you can get these games used for less, but I have bought most these titles for the same or less price new. If they start adding extra features or expansions to these games I may download a few of them, but until they add multiplayer, or achievements, or whatever, I don't think I take part in it. To me, it's the start of our collection values going down. What happens when Suikoden 2 or Panzer Dragoon become easily available for 10 or 15 bucks? Anyway, that's my opinion, end rant.
    Digitpress
    Ebay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard79 View Post
    To me, it's the start of our collection values going down. What happens when Suikoden 2 or Panzer Dragoon become easily available for 10 or 15 bucks?
    I agree and disagree with this. I do see it impacting values in a way. When the rom is readily available for people who want to play, then our hard copies are not worth as much. But what good is just a rom to a die hard collector? I don't see that the NWC repros have put a dent in the price of the real thing. But sadly I think we must get used to it. Digital distribution is here to stay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think it would have been worth the $15 if they included achievements. That couldn't be too hard from a developers standpoint could it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yeah, those prices may have been reasonable if achievements has been added. Otherwise, what is the incentive to purchase them over the actual hard copies that are readily available (for less) at GameStop, ebay, and so on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    itsmeFAMOUS

If acheivments are offered, i would most likely purchase a game or two..but like every else said $15 for a game thats gonna take up some space and not give online/acheivments, NO DICE!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I certainly see the flaw in dowloading these games when all of the above titles can be purchased new or used for less than what MS is charging (among other good reasons NOT to make them available) ...

... in the "big picture" of the future of XBL, I don't think that this is completely a bad thing.

I'm always a huge supporter of bigger feature sets for consoles and portables, even if said features aren't ones that I use.

For instance, I'd never download a movie on XBL, but I know people that do almost all of their HD movie renting / watching on an XBL setup.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of great reasons not to download any of the initial XB Originals, but, it's groundwork for for potential usefullness in the future. If they can enhance the existing titles with achievements, or online play in the case of games like Halo 1, I can see the value increasing exponentially.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I think it would have been worth the $15 if they included achievements. That couldn't be too hard from a developers standpoint could it?
    According to the head of XBL, adding achievements to Xbox games would be impossible. They apparently would have to build the game up again from scratch. There's a decent interview with the guy on Gamespot (or IGN..whatever) last week that discussed the achievement issue.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm sure there are going to be plenty of people downloading these games. People like ourselves are a bit more into the gaming comunity and are aware of what certain values are and we also prefer physical over virtual for the most part. I agree also that this is a great new addition to XBL, but is it one for gamers like us? maybe not. M$ will most likely make thier profit off these titles, but they probably could have made a hell of a lot more by including some of those extra features to appeal to gamers like us.