Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most respected VG publication?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Most respected VG publication?

What videogame magazine could be considered to be the worldwide most respected by the industry and public alike?

Coming from England i'd say that we're often being led to believe that it is EDGE magazine, however, whilst i do think this is probably the case in terms of the magazines i've read i have very little knowledge of international magazines, or indeed what is the thoughts of those inside the industry itself.

Is their an American publication or any other for that reason that could make that claim? (ok so EDGE dosn't make this claim itself but i think it likes to think it is the most respected magazine).

I've recently started to listen to a lot of the 1up podcasts and i'm taken aback by the level of professionalism, maturity and seriousness of the contributors. Maybe it's my own predjudice but i never thought mainstream videogame journalism in America managed to get out on that level or had a market for that sort of tone.

just a few thoughts, any of your own?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Much as I like Edge, I've got to believe that up until 2000, CVG was the absolute Big Daddy of videogames mags. Any mag that can run a Street Fighter Alpha 2 moves list... twice... is the proverbial mutt's.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

im not really sure... id like to believe that EGM is that sort of magazine, but a lot of people (many on these forums as well) believe that the magazine has dropped in quality significantly in the last 10 or so years. personally i like EGM.

i believe GameInformer is probably the last worthwhile magazine in the states.

also to me, PCGamer is the absolute best but its pc only obviously, and i think the quality definately dropped after Rob Smith left (i loved gary whitta too, and of course greg vederman) however i know the UK version is just as great (if not arguably better?)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tmc View Post
    What videogame magazine could be considered to be the worldwide most respected by the industry and public alike?

Coming from England i'd say that we're often being led to believe that it is EDGE magazine, however, whilst i do think this is probably the case in terms of the magazines i've read i have very little knowledge of international magazines, or indeed what is the thoughts of those inside the industry itself.

Is their an American publication or any other for that reason that could make that claim? (ok so EDGE dosn't make this claim itself but i think it likes to think it is the most respected magazine).

I've recently started to listen to a lot of the 1up podcasts and i'm taken aback by the level of professionalism, maturity and seriousness of the contributors. Maybe it's my own predjudice but i never thought mainstream videogame journalism in America managed to get out on that level or had a market for that sort of tone.

just a few thoughts, any of your own?
    I would agree with your assement. The only magazines I subscribe to are UK based ones: Economist, Elle Decoration UK (my wife), and Retro Gamer (actually I don't subscribe, but I buy every issue).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

back in the day i was all about gamepro, nintendo power, and egm these days i dont even bother picking up gaming mags as they really lost some of their magic since the early days.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

gamepro and nintendo power have got to be the most childish and biased crap out there. especially gamepro, i wouldnt even take a free subscription of it when offered a while back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

Personally I don't even bother with most of the magazines that are available today. I feel that online content has far surpassed anything that you could get out of a magazine these days. When I want reviews, news, previews, etc. I just pull up Joystiq, Kotaku, or 1up.

I really do wish that there was a magazine out there that truly "got it" how the old EGM did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

No magazine will EVER be better than the original Electronic Games.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Computer Gaming World, espeacially the older issues was always my favorite. Today I like Game Informer, but it's obviously being twisted by Gamestop. I also like Play though I seem to be in the minority there. Hardcore Gamer is fun, but usually late to the table.

I subscribe to a bunch, but most come off as the same thing...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I like Play too, and here's why: Play is an enthusiast magazine. It's very clear that everyone who works for the mag eats, sleeps, shits and breathes games. On the downside, they really need an editor who's worth a shit. Rampant spelling mistakes, bad grammar, missing author credits, etc. abound. They also aren't afraid to go balls-out doing a huge feature and interview on a game that probably won't light up the charts. Some people read this as being up for sale to the highest bidder, but with some of the cover stories they've had, it'd be hard to argue that the publishers had the funds to pony up for a cover story. If you give me a choice between the slick, corporate mag versus the sloppy-but-genuine enthusiast mag, I'll take the underdog any day of the week, it's in my DNA somewhere.

I also agree that Game Informer is pretty good. I just started getting it again as a result of the evil Gamestop card, and it's probably the best of the rags with a decent circulation. The only thing I hate about it, and it's a nitpick more than anything, are the stupid-ass nicknames the editors give themselves: "The Original Gamer," "The Game Katana," etc. Blech.

There was a time in the late 90s and early 00s when I thought EGM was pretty decent, back before they felt like they had to be smartasses about everything and hire Seanbaby to write the same tired shit about the same crap games month after month.

I didn't pick up Tips & Tricks on a regular basis, but I already sort of miss it. T&T felt like Play, more like an enthusiast magazine than one put out by the empire that twat built (Larry Flynt Publishing). The regular articles devoted to collecting, game-related comics and figures were awesome. I think if they would have dropped the codes section in this age of few to no codes and started reviewing and previewing more, they might have survived.

Sorry to be so long-winded, I used to pick up game mags almost religiously in the 90s and early 00s.
    Last edited by Half Japanese; 12-04-2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: ironic typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in the day, Next Generation totally fit that description. They were the best magazine in terms of writing real informative stuff, and they had an air about them that they were that one step above everything else. They had the most "real" content, rather than EGM and GamePro's "this game sucks! this game rules!" nonsense.

Strictly for the industry, there is a magazine called Game Developer that has a good reputation. But it's not very widely available, and way too technical for the average gamer.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

None, they're all shills, whoring themselves out.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    gamepro and nintendo power have got to be the most childish and biased crap out there. especially gamepro, i wouldnt even take a free subscription of it when offered a while back.
    I can't speak for today, but the early 90's Gamepro and their puns....ugh.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I have a soft spot for EGM for sure. I also think that Games For Windows is pretty well done.

Game Informer is shit as far as reviews and 'objective journalism' go, but because they're owned and operated by Gamestop, they have the absolute best previews outside of the internet.

All of course in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Half Japanese View Post
    I like Play too, and here's why: Play is an enthusiast magazine. It's very clear that everyone who works for the mag eats, sleeps, shits and breathes games. On the downside, they really need an editor who's worth a shit. Rampant spelling mistakes, bad grammar, missing author credits, etc. abound. They also aren't afraid to go balls-out doing a huge feature and interview on a game that probably won't light up the charts. Some people read this as being up for sale to the highest bidder, but with some of the cover stories they've had, it'd be hard to argue that the publishers had the funds to pony up for a cover story. If you give me a choice between the slick, corporate mag versus the sloppy-but-genuine enthusiast mag, I'll take the underdog any day of the week, it's in my DNA somewhere.

I also agree that Game Informer is pretty good. I just started getting it again as a result of the evil Gamestop card, and it's probably the best of the rags with a decent circulation. The only thing I hate about it, and it's a nitpick more than anything, are the stupid-ass nicknames the editors give themselves: "The Original Gamer," "The Game Katana," etc. Blech.

There was a time in the late 90s and early 00s when I thought EGM was pretty decent, back before they felt like they had to be smartasses about everything and hire Seanbaby to write the same tired shit about the same crap games month after month.

I didn't pick up Tips & Tricks on a regular basis, but I already sort of miss it. T&T felt like Play, more like an enthusiast magazine than one put out by the empire that twat built (Larry Flynt Publishing). The regular articles devoted to collecting, game-related comics and figures were awesome. I think if they would have dropped the codes section in this age of few to no codes and started reviewing and previewing more, they might have survived.

Sorry to be so long-winded, I used to pick up game mags almost religiously in the 90s and early 00s.
    I absolutely agree here.

I really feel that people mistake the fact that each writer assigned to a game in Play actually likes/understands the genre the game falls under. I hate when other mags seem to hand some guy who plays nothing but Madden a copy of a game like Killer 7 and says "Review". Also, it is a breath of fresh air to see a mag to a story/give coverage to something other than the same old shit in every other mag. I just really enjoy the fact that a lot of their reviews seem to reflect the same way I feel about a game and address what I want to know. The mag truly does have that enthusiasts feel. sadly, as stated it has some enthusiasts production values/mistakes.

GI is also pretty damn good considering the fact that it is pretty much given away if you spend enough or buy discount card at GS/EB. There is some crap and a lot of ads. They do cover some games that other mags don't.

T&T was turning into something awesome when the plug was pulled. I still can't believe how much was being crammed in there each month. It was gonna be awesome.I could feel it.

EGM is awful. I remember when it was a pretty cool mag. I can't believe I have a paid sub until '09. I really dislike the staff. Shoe is an idiot.

I also can't stand the "Adverttorials" mags were running for awhile that look like articles but are actually ads. Bullshit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of all time, older EGMs. Nowadays? Game Informer. I can't stand Play... I used to realize it until I realized that they gave glowing reviews to every underdog game, no matter how much it sucked. I remember buying Magna Carta wholly on their attention to it. Man was it a pile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tmc View Post
    I've recently started to listen to a lot of the 1up podcasts and i'm taken aback by the level of professionalism, maturity and seriousness of the contributors.
    1UP is EGM.

I've recently dropped my subscription to EGM for just the reasons listed above. And I had been a subscriber since issue #3.

I thought EGM really started its descent when, what was that guys name ?, John Davison ? took over editorial (and I use that term loosely) duties. He and the current staff, seem to think we're are more interested in them than we are about games. The "personality" of the staff really comes through and it seems these people are about 12.

In going for more of an "adult" market, why did they feel the need to act less mature ? The language and comments had me restrict access to the magazine from my video game loving, pre-teen son.

The last straw for me was a picture of one of the staff members with a gun pointed to his head in his little bio section before the reviews. I knew I only had an issue or two left on my subscription and promptly threw away each request to re-subscribe.

I wonder what the original editor (Ed Semrad?) thinks of the current incarnation ?

FRED

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For games I like EGM, GI, games for windows and pc gamer. Thats about it thats out now in the US at least. I used to love Next-Gen. I still have all of my old Next-Gen issues in storage somewhere.

I still like reading the mags because I often find out about games/stuff that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. Like the game Saboteur that Pandemic is working on.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GI I'd say is most improved overall. It's a pretty good mag these days. Actually one of the best... scary.

My favorite of all time was Gamers Republic. I still miss it. *tear*

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only mags I read are retro gamer and an Aussie mag Called Hyper, I also buy PC Powerplay another Aussie mag.

Hyper and PC Powerplay are the only mags I read for the simple fact they tend to be the least bias reviewers.
    zomg I have a sig