Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bring Back the Dreamcast!!

Anyone read this article?

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9829092-17.html

It's getting alot of Diggs on Digg.com as well

Yes I'm a Dreamcast Fanboy and proud!!
    I am a collector of the classics (Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, 3DO, Saturn, etc.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

I loved the dreamcast to death (avid supporter while new releases came out), but Sega's time has come and gone. If they continued to release solid software instead of their current outpour of hit or miss games, then I would say "bring me dremcast 2."

If they released another system, it'd have nothing new going for it. It's not easy to try and get into a market that you are a known failure at with nothing but nostalgia
    Last edited by walrusmonger; 12-05-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by walrusmonger View Post
    If they released another system, it'd have nothing new going for it. It's not easy to try and get into a market that you are a known failure at with nothing but nostalgia
    QFT, which is why Atari fans like myself have to settle for things like the Atari Flashback as opposed to, say, the Atari Phoenix.

Same situation with the Dreamcast, of which I am also especially fond. A Dreamcast 2, like the Phoenix, is wishful thinking at best. Sega has bowed out of the hardware market for good. Enjoy what they gave you and let that be the end of it.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Funny thing is, I just knew, at the time, while seemingly all the world was hating on the DC, it was going to be a console looked at very fondly in hindsight.

As has been mentioned, the Sega of today, just isn't what the Sega of 9/9/99 was. If Sega at the height of their power as a game maker couldn't capture the public's imagination (and overcome the copious amounts of "OMG remember the 32X,Saturn,SegaCD, etc." in the press,) they sure aren't going to do it now as a much weaker company.

IMHO, what made the DC a killer console was the perfect NAOMI ports. I think there's even less acceptance of true arcade games today then there was seven years ago. If there was to be a true DC 2, it'd have an even tougher time as today's gamers see those kind of games as a $5 download/light snack game as opposed to the full meal deal of a 3000 hours of gameplay and full cinematics, etc. kind of game. (Plus, having been in a top of the line Japanese arcade in the last six months, there just isn't a whole lot out there to port home anyway.)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

im not looking back at it fondly... i disliked the system then, and dislike it now. i bought it when it came out and it was a complete waste of money.

WHYYYY is everyone always saying how amazing and great it was and how its they fav blah blah blah. it had NOTHING that other systems didnt already have (or in ps2's case, got soon thereafter). the library sucked, how many freaking fighting games can one console have? it had good sports games for the time it lasted, but cmon, 2k moved rather quickly and wonderfully. the controller was by far the absolute worse POS ever (well ok, maybe jaguar beats that out, but dc comes close). sega games have sucked since 16bit ended, the speed at which the saturn died in the US shouldve hinted at how well the dc would do. bad corporate management. bad 3rd party support. bad games. few games. what is there to love?!

let it die. in fact, throw some more dirt on its grave and make a baseball field out of it.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    im not looking back at it fondly... i disliked the system then, and dislike it now. i bought it when it came out and it was a complete waste of money.

WHYYYY is everyone always saying how amazing and great it was and how its they fav blah blah blah. it had NOTHING that other systems didnt already have (or in ps2's case, got soon thereafter). the library sucked, how many freaking fighting games can one console have? it had good sports games for the time it lasted, but cmon, 2k moved rather quickly and wonderfully. the controller was by far the absolute worse POS ever (well ok, maybe jaguar beats that out, but dc comes close). sega games have sucked since 16bit ended, the speed at which the saturn died in the US shouldve hinted at how well the dc would do. bad corporate management. bad 3rd party support. bad games. few games. what is there to love?!

let it die. in fact, throw some more dirt on its grave and make a baseball field out of it.
    dot dot dot... I know that's your own opinion... but you seem like one in a sea of difference in this situation. Being that negatively vocal like that might not be the best of things.

now if you excuse me.. My Dreamcast needs to be played..

BTW:

I own the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox.

out of those
    My Xbox is only useful as Halo 2 with friends (otherwise I'd only use it as a DVD player never really interested in any games that came out of it)

My Phatstation 2 has not had the laser eye replaced.. (use it so little because I don't find that many games I can play for long... or wantto play)

And my Gamecube ... when was the last time I found a game I wanted to buy for that thing... over a year at least.. maybe a year and a half..

All opinion.. don't go flapping your jaw like you have. Please just leave your opinion as something more friendly. Don't go flying off the handle just because you dislike a system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Dude, I think the main reason the dreamcast has been played as long as it has with my friends and I is the fighting games and the shootemups. It had a lot of good ones of both.

Granted some of them have been superceded by superior ports on the PS2 or xbox. But I don't have to go through the trouble of modding my PS2 and hope it doesn't break down to play them.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing I use Dreamcast for is Under Defeat, Trigger Heart and Ikaruga. (And Border Down if I'm feeling masochistic)

Other than that I really don't know what's available on it. (I already have the fighters on other formats and I don't like 3D games.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought my Dreamcast solely for Virtua Tennis. Everything else has been a pleasant surprise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon View Post
    Atari fans like myself have to settle for things like the Atari Flashback as opposed to, say, the Atari Phoenix.
    I had to stop and remark on that name. What a cool name for a new Atari console!

I've always liked the Sega Dreamcast too. But I don't see them getting back into the market. If they did, they'd probably have a partnership with an already established console manufacturer. Maybe strike a deal with Sony to help provide software support for the PS4, for example.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by otoko View Post
    dot dot dot... I know that's your own opinion... but you seem like one in a sea of difference in this situation. Being that negatively vocal like that might not be the best of things.

now if you excuse me.. My Dreamcast needs to be played..

BTW:

I own the PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox.

out of those
    My Xbox is only useful as Halo 2 with friends (otherwise I'd only use it as a DVD player never really interested in any games that came out of it)

My Phatstation 2 has not had the laser eye replaced.. (use it so little because I don't find that many games I can play for long... or wantto play)

And my Gamecube ... when was the last time I found a game I wanted to buy for that thing... over a year at least.. maybe a year and a half..

All opinion.. don't go flapping your jaw like you have. Please just leave your opinion as something more friendly. Don't go flying off the handle just because you dislike a system.

what games are you gonna go play on it?! honestly please tell me? is it the 100+ dollar indie shmups? or the million times rereleased in much cheaper versions with better controllers fighting games?

what does the DC have? most (read: not all) people who are omgwtfbbq horny for the dreamcast have a stack of cdrs next to it. of course its nice to have a system that you never have to buy games for and imports are only a boot disk and another pirate away. in which case sit there quietly and download games but dont go out saying how amazing of a system it is, cause if you had to pay for each game, you wouldnt.

the dc is fun for diehard collectors, but there arent as many of them as people i hear yelling at the top of their lungs how amazing and awesome and bonerific the DC is/was.

let.it.die.
    Last edited by Poofta!; 12-05-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

what games are you gonna go play on it?! honestly please tell me? is it the 100+ dollar indie shmups? or the million times rereleased in much cheaper versions with better controllers fighting games?

what does the DC have? most (read: not all) people who are omgwtfbbq horny for the dreamcast have a stack of cdrs next to it. of course its nice to have a system that you never have to buy games for and imports are only a boot disk and another pirate away. in which case sit there quietly and download games but dont go out saying how amazing of a system it is, cause if you had to pay for each game, you wouldnt.

the dc is fun for diehard collectors, but there arent as many of them as people i hear yelling at the top of their lungs how amazing and awesome and bonerific the DC is/was.

let.it.die.
    I don't have any CD-Rs for my Dreamcast. What I do have is..

Shenmue
    Toy Commander
    San Francisco Rush 2049
    Slave Zero
    Floigan Bros. Episode 1
    Jet Grind Radio
    Space Channel 5
    Crazy Taxi
    Crazy Taxi 2
    Evolution-The World of Sacred Device
    Evolution 2- Far Off Promise
    Hydro Thunder
    The Ring: Terror's Realm
    Skies Of Arcadia
    Grandia II
    Seaman /w Microphone
    Wetrix+
    Centipede
    Urban Chaos
    Aerowings
    Daytona USA
    Phantasy Star Online (ver. 1)
    Armada
    Time Stalkers
    Sega Smashpack Volume 1
    Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
    D2
    Coaster Works
    Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver
    Sonic Adventure Limited Edition
    Maken X
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    Plasma Sword
    Wild Metal
    F355 Challenge Passione Rossa
    Sega Rally 2
    ChuChu Rocket!
    Sonic Adventure
    Feet of Fury
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Star Wars: Episode I Jedi Power Battles
    Star Wars: Episode I Racer
    Bust-A-Move 4
    Roadsters
    Nightmare Creatures II
    Ecco The Dolphin Defender of the Future
    Silver
    South Park Chef's Luv Shack
    Namco Museum
    Frogger 2
    Omikron: The Nomad Soul

Mkay. Besides the whole point of that post was to say bring yourself down a bit.. Your making this a bigger deal than you should

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I thought Soul Fighter was a pretty cool game.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Obviously there's more of them than there are people who agree with you, so I don't quite follow your point.

I could list all the games I love on the Dreamcast (Cool Cool Toon) and go on and on about them (Armada) and how they're the most solid (Mars Matrix) collection (Sakura Taisen 3) of deeply playable (Shenmue 2) and arcade style (Rez) games I've ever found on one console (Seaman), but I don't know (Napple Tale) if that would mean anything (Bangai-O) to you (Dynamite Cop). Isn't it possible (Lack Of Love) that the Dreamcast just doesn't have any games you like (Grandia 2), but that other people (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) would like those same games (Skies Of Arcadia) a whole hell of a lot (Headhunter)? Certainly it wouldn't be the first time (Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram) you'd discovered that other people (Jet Grind Radio) liked something you didn't (King Of Fighters: Dream Match '99), would it (House Of The Dead 2)? I'll be the first to admit (Looney Tunes Space Race) that the Dreamcast (Sports Jam) has a uniquely limited library (Sonic Adventure). It is undeniably lacking (Tokyo Bus Guide) in certain genres (Super Runabout), but at the same time (Psyvariar 2) it has a wonderful abundance (Soul Calibur) of games in certain other genres (Toy Commander). Perhaps it's just that I (Sword Of The Berzerk)--and apparently a lot of other people (Virtua Tennis)--really like those latter genres (Test Drive Le Mans) and don't care so much about the former (Typing Of The Dead), while perhaps you (Fire ProWrestling D)--and only a handful of other people (Street Fighter 3: Third Strike) it would seem (Metropolis Street Racer)--are more concerned with what's missing (Ooga Booga) on the DC (Ready 2 Rumble) than what's actually there (Dynamite Cop). Such is life (Twinkle Star Sprites). Need I go on?

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    Obviously there's more of them than there are people who agree with you, so I don't quite follow your point.

I could list all the games I love on the Dreamcast (Cool Cool Toon) and go on and on about them (Armada) and how they're the most solid (Mars Matrix) collection (Sakura Taisen 3) of deeply playable (Shenmue 2) and arcade style (Rez) games I've ever found on one console (Seaman), but I don't know (Napple Tale) if that would mean anything (Bangai-O) to you (Dynamite Cop). Isn't it possible (Lack Of Love) that the Dreamcast just doesn't have any games you like (Grandia 2), but that other people (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) would like those same games (Skies Of Arcadia) a whole hell of a lot (Headhunter)? Certainly it wouldn't be the first time (Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram) you'd discovered that other people (Jet Grind Radio) liked something you didn't (King Of Fighters: Dream Match '99), would it (House Of The Dead 2)? I'll be the first to admit (Looney Tunes Space Race) that the Dreamcast (Sports Jam) has a uniquely limited library (Sonic Adventure). It is undeniably lacking (Tokyo Bus Guide) in certain genres (Super Runabout), but at the same time (Psyvariar 2) it has a wonderful abundance (Soul Calibur) of games in certain other genres (Toy Commander). Perhaps it's just that I (Sword Of The Berzerk)--and apparently a lot of other people (Virtua Tennis)--really like those latter genres (Test Drive Le Mans) and don't care so much about the former (Typing Of The Dead), while perhaps you (Fire ProWrestling D)--and only a handful of other people (Street Fighter 3: Third Strike) it would seem (Metropolis Street Racer)--are more concerned with what's missing (Ooga Booga) on the DC (Ready 2 Rumble) than what's actually there (Dynamite Cop). Such is life (Twinkle Star Sprites). Need I go on?

...word is bondage...

Couldn't put it any better myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Detractors aside, I do like Dreamcast a ton. Outright I can say 4 player is a huge advantage over PS2, and when I have Game Night (tm) the DC is a top priority, next to 4 player 2600 paddle games (alright, that means Warlords.) There are alot of games redone on other consoles after the fact, but they were done right on DC to begin with, like Virtua Tennis, Crazy Taxi, Crazy Taxi 2, Phantasy Star Online (never got into like most others did), Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic Adventure (honestly, never played it) many more.

RIP Sega. I am pronouncing them dead now, before they do more damage to besmirch the legacy. << looking at watch >> How long before a second rate publisher buys the name a crushes it into dust like Infogrames did with Atari?

I'd love to see another Sega console generation, but then again with the crap they've been making for the last 5 years, I can't imagine there being a single title worth buying it for.

The most realistic and hopeful future for the Dreamcast has to be XBLA game downloads. Until that happens, DC will remain in my top 5 consoles of all time.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I loved a lot of the dreamcast library. I found Sword of the Berserk to be pretty fun. Great system and still love it today. I don't have any Cdrs for mine either and still go into game shops and browse the dreamcast section for some fun games I haven't played yet. I will admit I am a collector but I am a gamer as well. As a gamer, I think dreamcast has a solid library with only a few shitty games. I like a lot of games though so my opinion is a little more optomistic then a lot of others. Games are games and no matter what system they are on, if they are playable, I'll play them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always looked at the DC as the "Little system that could have been great"...

There are some good exclusive titles that never saw a re-release on other systems but those are only a handful, most of the DC library is either outdated all to hell (especially the racing titles) or mediocre crap...the system itself is beautiful though...even to this day. Kind of a "pre-Wii" with a happy-go-lucky look, feel, approach and most of all, experience. Unlike the cold, calculating XBox and PS2, the DC felt like a little cute buddy from some reason...I feel that again with the Wii.

Sadly enough it was just too little too late and the industry could have never supported 4 consoles (PS2, XBox, GC and DC)...one had to bite the dust and sadly it wasn't the F-ing XBox..

I had a MIB DC and loved the little guy...sadly he and I parted ways so I could buy a Neo Geo...to this day I only slightly (and I mean slightly) regret it.

I will agree that the DC is D-O-N-E and so is Sega as a console maker...there will always be fond memories but that's as far as it goes for me.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Sega already tried this "One more time" scenario, it's called the Dreamcast and it didn't end well. Take everything he said about the DC and apply it to the Saturn. now take everything he said about the Saturn and apply it to the Genny. Now take everything he said about the "Dreamcast 2" and apply it to the actual DC. Now replace the entire story with "This isn't just a fantasy...it's history. It happened already."

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

otoko: most of your games are either already on other systems, or are rather bad, sorry... but this is like your sport games genny library.

sweater fish, out of all the games you list, which are US, DC exclusives? like 9? and out of those, can you honestly tell me, that it was worth buying a sega dreamcast for, and paying full retail for these?

you see, once a systems dies, is abandoned by its publisher, in fact makes its publisher get out of the business entirely (almost bankrupting them)... that system is... well... a failure. nevertheless, since it is now dirt cheap, and even the expensive games are a fraction of their former retail price (of course not all), suddently, one sees benefit to such a console. also if they are they type that will go down with a sinking ship proclaiming its the best ship they ever sailed on.

unfortunately (fortunately) i have no sentiment attached to this console, in fact i see it for what it was: a failure, a huge let down, and a complete waste of a consumer's money (at the time). do i own one? yes, in fact i own two (regular and sega sport black edition) i even have a couple games, (some which both of us consider good), that doesnt change the fact that i still think the way i do.