Thread: Should I trust an overseas bidder with a feedback of 1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Should I trust an overseas bidder with a feedback of 1?

This is the question before me. The item is a fairly expensive one and will probably end around $70.

I still have bad memories of the last time I foolishly trusted someone overseas with minimal feedback. On the other hand, this time it isn't GameTZ, the bidder is only in Puerto Rico (it's not really overseas), and he's offered to pay via Paypal.

What do you think?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I don't believe peurta rico is covered by Paypal's Seller Protection Policy, in which case it is the WORST possible payment method. If you aren't covered by that policy, then the buyer can keep your item and get a full refund at your expense. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

A personal check is much better, because then you can wait a couple weeks after you deposit it to make sure it doesn't bounce, and then ship the item (make this clear ahead of time). A USPS money order is best, because then you can get your cash immediately by going to most any post office.

Of course, I'm paranoid, so take that for whatever you'd like. I haven't been ripped off yet, either. I have a round of auction up now where I am accepting worldwide buyers (i.e. no seller protection), so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Interesting. However, as I'm in Canada, I'm not sure I'd be able to do anything with a USPS money order.

(Do you think it would be bad to suggest cash?)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Well, if he brought up the cash option I might go along with it. But if a seller suggested that to me I'd run the other way (see above about paranoia). You could always take the Paypal payment, then clear out your account ASAP. If it is linked to your bank account I don't know if paypal will draw on that to cover a claim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was thinking that a Western Union money order might be okay, since in theory you can call up Western Union and verify that the order is legit, but it seems people have pulled scams with that before too.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Interesting. However, as I'm in Canada, I'm not sure I'd be able to do anything with a USPS money order.

(Do you think it would be bad to suggest cash?)
    Actually, USPS issues Postal Money Orders that can be cashed in Canada.

http://www.usps.com/money/sendingmon...nationally.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

...Do they cash those right at the post office, though? I thought if I took something like that to the bank, it would have to be sent to the US in oder to "clear", at which time it might be discovered to be a forgery, etc.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    ...Do they cash those right at the post office, though? I thought if I took something like that to the bank, it would have to be sent to the US in oder to "clear", at which time it might be discovered to be a forgery, etc.
    ... *slaps forehead*

For only $3.85, you can purchase international money orders valued at up to $700 to 30 countries, with additional countries being added in the near future (some exceptions apply - see below). You can then send your money order using Global Priority Mail® or Global Express Mail®. The money orders can be cashed at the post office locations of the destination country.
    Happy now? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Insternational USPS Money order (you really have to mention you need an international one... some people dončt check and send you a normal one) must be cashed at your bank.

How long they'll hold it is depending on the clerk in front of you.

I had a money order cashed right away but one time they frooze the money for 21 business days. That's almost a month !

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First off, I wouldn't say $70 is a huge amount of money - hardly worth pulling a scam for, in any case, so you're probably worrying unecessarily.

Second, if you're worried about the Paypal thing then just withdraw the money into your bank and don't despatch the item until it's cleared into your account.

Third, any scammer worth their salt wouldn't bother using a Puerto Rico based eBay account, with only 1 feedback - they'd set up a US ebay account and buy 50 1-cent ebooks first.
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vroomfunkel View Post
    Second, if you're worried about the Paypal thing then just withdraw the money into your bank and don't despatch the item until it's cleared into your account.
    I thought the horrible problem with Paypal was how they've been known to go diving into people's accounts to get money in certain cases.

Third, any scammer worth their salt wouldn't bother using a Puerto Rico based eBay account, with only 1 feedback - they'd set up a US ebay account and buy 50 1-cent ebooks first.
    Well, maybe he's new to the scamming game and not yet worth his salt.

(He actually has several positive feedbacks, but since they're all from the same seller, they show up as one.)