Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collecting complete systems

Insert Coin (Level 0) animesuperj's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Collecting complete systems

First off, if this is a repost or wrong place to post this, sorry.

I've just started to collect for SNES in an attempt to get every US released game. I was wondering what are the more expensive titles I can expect to come across. I already have most of the RPG's out of the way, so I don't have to worry about those. It's more of the titles I might not be too familiar with.

Also, what are people's opinions on the "easier" systems to collect for? I'm almost done with a CIB Virtual Boy US collection. Not many games, I know, but I only have about 4 left. I've also thought about collection N64, and Sega CD. It doesn't seem like N64 would be that hard, because I come across a ton of randomly cheap games that kids/parents don't want. Sega CD might be a bit harder, but I already have both lunar's and Shining Force CD. Plus some random other good titles, just can't think of them offhand. Other people's thoughts on this matter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think one of the "easier" systems is Dreamcast. There are not many expensive titles and if you don't count Sonic Limited Edition, I think the total number of games are only 247. For N64, it depends on whether you are going after cart only or CIB as they are several games like Indiana Jones and ISS64 (I think that's the name of it) are really hard to come by CIB.

For SNES, I guess the hardest ones are ISS, ISS Deluxe, Super Copa, Fun n Games and Final Fight Guy.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

I agree with that. Dreamcast would probably be your next best bet. It's extremely common to find just about any game for the system and I rarely come a crossed ones that are not in the original box.. that has to be some kind of record for a system.. you know them usually parting ways with boxes and all. but I digress.

Also even Sonic Adventure Limited Edition is easy to get. There is usually an auction for a loose one (good luck finding one complete) every week or so.. Infact there are two going on now.

The next I'd suggest Might be Genesis.. Just because you don't have to go far to bump into one game or two. It might take you awhile there's TONS of games for it. But all of them are usually very reachable in one way or another.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Atari Lynx or Atari 7800 are relatively easy to score complete collections for.

In most cases you can still find a majority of the common software still sealed new.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Hmm. Personally I don't see the point of specifically setting out to put together a complete system without a reason (e.g. it was your first system that you owned), but maybe that's just me. I especially don't see the point of setting out to do a collection just because it is easy (or easier). Personally I'm on a lifetime project to complete the US NES library, though I doubt I actual will ever choose to afford the super pricey games. NES because I only ever had around 8 games as a kid and was always drooling over magazines and the 'cool' ads on TV. I'd also like to complete the US SMS collection. Never owned one until the beginning of this year, but I just really like the system and the packaging in particular.

The DP guide is your friend if you want to look for the hard ones on a given system. The rarity ranks are quite good. Offhand for SNES the competition carts, that mountain bike one, and chavez II are going to be toughies, but I'm sure there are others and I'm no SNES expert (or any kind of expert, for that matter).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Hmm. Personally I don't see the point of specifically setting out to put together a complete system without a reason (e.g. it was your first system that you owned), but maybe that's just me. I especially don't see the point of setting out to do a collection just because it is easy (or easier). Personally I'm on a lifetime project to complete the US NES library, though I doubt I actual will ever choose to afford the super pricey games. NES because I only ever had around 8 games as a kid and was always drooling over magazines and the 'cool' ads on TV. I'd also like to complete the US SMS collection. Never owned one until the beginning of this year, but I just really like the system and the packaging in particular.

The DP guide is your friend if you want to look for the hard ones on a given system. The rarity ranks are quite good. Offhand for SNES the competition carts, that mountain bike one, and chavez II are going to be toughies, but I'm sure there are others and I'm no SNES expert (or any kind of expert, for that matter).
    I agree 100% with this. Try collecting a complete library for a system you enjoy. Don't go for it because it's easy. Now I'm not saying that it has to be one you played as a kid, but pick something you'll enjoy. Regardless of which system you pick, you're going to buy crap that you'll never play. Mitigate the crap by finding the system with the best games for you.

In my case, I have 8 N64 games. That's all I'll ever have because I dislike the system. It would be fairly easy to get most of the games for the system, but I simply don't enjoy them, so I only buy the few I like. It's different for each person so do some soul searching and go with what works for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would probably say N64 is pretty easy, besides a select few titles probably.

most people here are saying dreamcast, but i really disagree with that, almost all dreamcast games i find in stores are way over priced, sure it might be easy to find most, but its definitely not cheap. also there are 252 DC games if you count sonic adventure limited edition, shenmue limited edition, and the 3 bleemcast! games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cornelius and FlufflePuff: Believe me, I do agree with you guys. I don't want to collect because something is "easy". The main reason I am going for a complete SNES collection is exactly as you guys say: it's my favorite system. I got the christmas it came out from "Santa", along with four extra games; which put me at 5 with Mario bundled with the system. They were hyperzone, home alone 1 and 2, and mario kart. I still remember opening the thing and being COMLETELY surprised and not even wanting to open my other presents. Let alone not realizing my dad also got the family a new TV that year as well. It was an awesome x-mas.
    So, I didn't mean to make it sound like I only want to collect systems because they're easy. It was more of a general question and something I've been wondering. SNES and N64 hold the "favorite" system spots as I grew up with them.

Thanks to everyone who has inputted thus far. I appreciate it.

I've looked through the DP database quite a bit. Some of the games seem to be, at least to me, different on price and rarity. I know this will be the case as to what I actually come across in the wild or someone in the marketplace selling them. However, as an example, eventhough Earthbound is listed as a R2, you can still expect to pay quite a bit for it. Since rarity does not always equal to expense, I was wondering more on just expensive games.

Also, on the note of the competition carts (Donkey kong and Starfox), since they were never released; as in being able to walk into a store and buy them; do people consider these titles to actually collect for a US collection? I thought they were only avaiable if you won the blockbuster competitions. I think either way, I'm going to pick them up; but again, more of a general question.

Sorry if there was confusion on my last post. I threw it up 5 minutes before I had to go to class. Just wanted to get it out to have a responce by the time I got home from work

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by animesuperj View Post
    I've just started to collect for SNES in an attempt to get every US released game. I was wondering what are the more expensive titles I can expect to come across.
    Check the online rarity guide.

Also, what are people's opinions on the "easier" systems to collect for?
    Use the search function. This has been discussed many times...

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81958
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8266

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans
    Check the online rarity guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by animesuperj
    I've looked through the DP database quite a bit....

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans
    Quote Originally Posted by animesuperj
    First off, if this is a repost or wrong place to post this, sorry.
    As I've said before...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

As I've said before...
    Just remember, just because we've talked about it before doesn't mean you can't add your .02, just bump that old topic back to the top with your comments!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just whatever you do, don't try for CIB Game Boy and Game Gear = P

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I've looked through the DP database quite a bit. Some of the games seem to be, at least to me, different on price and rarity. I know this will be the case as to what I actually come across in the wild or someone in the marketplace selling them. However, as an example, eventhough Earthbound is listed as a R2, you can still expect to pay quite a bit for it. Since rarity does not always equal to expense, I was wondering more on just expensive games.
    Yeah, just for straight up price the guide can be outdated for many games. For cheap games it is often high, and for expensive games it is often low. The RPGs are the main ones that would surprise you on price based on the rarity (or lack thereof), but sounds like you've got that under control. The only other thing to look out for are boxes/manual that are rare for games that are not so rare. Can't think of any examples right now, sorry.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Just remember, just because we've talked about it before doesn't mean you can't add your .02, just bump that old topic back to the top with your comments!
    My point exactly. Obviously there's no point in doing that now, since this thread is here now, but it's always better to just bump an old thread and say "hey I was reading this, anyone have anything to add?" than start a new thread. That way you keep the discussion on any given topic in one thread instead of split up between multiple ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm slowly but surely working on a complete set of CIB ColecoVision games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

No matter what you do to collect the SNES, be prepared for a few things.

1. Be ready to spend quite a bit of money, especially if you find a rare cart that you haven't seen before. I have a complete 32X collection and I had to spend quite a bit just to complete that one.

2. Choose now if you want loose carts or if you want them complete. Complete SNES titles are going to take a bit of work since they are cardboard and they tend to get wrecked over time.

3. Don't try to buy everything you see, it can cause you to get burned out. If you see a somewhat rough copy of a game, wait on it , you may find a better one. That goes for the more common titles.

4. Remember to have fun with it, thats why you are collecting in the first place.

And Lastly. Pick up a paper copy of the DP Guide book, they are invaluable for keeping track of the titles you have or need.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've already decided to go for a loose complete collection of SNES, since that's what most of my games are; except for the random ones that I first got or found recently. So far, I am having fun with it, and hopefully it always will be that way. I've mostly been keeping my eye out for people selling a group lot of games at once. I've gotten a couple lots of maybe 5 - 15 games so far. Some carts are in awesome condition, some I might (and probably will) rebuy; cause they're in horrible condition. Not to mention the random stickers I can't get off of the labels. WHY would you put stickers on the label?!

Anyway, I will try to bump old threads. Sorry for starting a new one. Don't want to come across as a jerk here when I'm just starting to post more. Hopefully I'll be doing some more of that as the collection grows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Chavez II is not so bad. I found a copy myself with little effort, and have seen them pop up on eBay now and then last year.

No US SNES game I'd call rare (the regular releases, anyhow) but Harvest Moon is sort of tough to find, not to mention expensive, often hitting $50+ even cart only. Consider this, I manage to buy all the big SNES games for $40 flat or under. HM was the only one that cost me more (w/ manual for $56).

Aero Fighters is another "toughie" as is Ninja Gaiden Trilogy. But again, none of these games are rare and can be found/had with a bit of patience.

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence View Post
    No matter what you do to collect the SNES, be prepared for a few things.

1. Be ready to spend quite a bit of money, especially if you find a rare cart that you haven't seen before. I have a complete 32X collection and I had to spend quite a bit just to complete that one.

3. Don't try to buy everything you see, it can cause you to get burned out. If you see a somewhat rough copy of a game, wait on it , you may find a better one. That goes for the more common titles.

4. Remember to have fun with it, thats why you are collecting in the first place.

1. Disagree somewhat. You can find a lot of decent to great games anywhere from $5-$8 shipped. None of the big games should run you over $40 (if you're patient) except maybe for Harvest Moon and a few others. I've gotten Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Earthbound, Dracula X, etc. all for 40 or less. Not as cheap to collect as Genesis, but cheap enough.

3. Agreed. Take your time. The games won't be disappearing any time soon.

4. Totally. It's easy to burn out if you get too caught up in the buying game. Play the games, really give yourself a chance to enjoy and stick with them, maybe even beat them. To me that's the real fun of this hobby, not the collecting, but sticking with a game and beating it. For example, I'm going through Super Punch-Out!! right now. Such a damn fine fun game. Got stuck on Dragon Chan and could have quit. But I stuck with it and now have TKO'ed Super Macho Man. These are the gaming memories we'll keep in our hearts 10 years from now.

On a final note, enjoy. SNES is my favorite system and really the pinnacle of acceptable graphics and excellent gameplay. Plus, the nostaglia factor doesn't hurt

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was considering going for a complete cart only SNES collection shortly after I started collecting in early 2004. However, I changed my mind. While the SNES had a lot of fun games, there were a good share of stinkers too, and I decided that I'd rather put the money I'd spend on those towards other consoles and games I'd enjoy for them. At that time, I only had an SNES and a PS2, but by the summer of 2004 I had a Genesis, N64, and Gamecube. I decided to just go for 100 SNES games. Today I have 178, including two R7's, a handful of R6's, many of the best RPG's on the system and the majority of the highly sought after R6 and under titles.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from going for a complete collection for the SNES or any other console - with me, I thought that it would be cool to have the bragging rights, but it would bother me too much to have those stinkers (along with several sports games) that I would never feel like touching.

Also, regarding 32X collecting, there's a small library, but the hard to find stuff (especially Spider-Man and World Series Baseball) might be tough and to track down and expensive when you do (though a couple DP'ers made great Spider-Man finds recently). It's pretty much the same story with Virtual Boy. I know someone who gave up on a complete set after having the worst luck with trying to get Jack Bros. IIRC, some asshat even ripped him off.
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 12-08-2007 at 04:46 AM.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not to mention the random stickers I can't get off of the labels. WHY would you put stickers on the label?!
    A little Goo Gone should take care of most stickers...but you have to use it sparingly and really work at it. The patience usually pays off, but sometimes it's not worth the trouble.

Don't want to come across as a jerk here when I'm just starting to post more. Hopefully I'll be doing some more of that as the collection grows.
    Posting or being a jerk?