Thread: dumb guitar hero compatability question

Insert Coin (Level 0) careerbellman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default dumb guitar hero compatability question

Probably everyone knows but I dont. I got a PS3 and will buy Guitar hero for the PS3. But is the PS2 game Guitar HEro: ROCK OF THE 80s playable on the PS3 with the PS3 guitar hero guitar? An employee at Best Buy seemed to think it wasnt compatable. That SUCKS if thats correct. Could anyone tell me for sure. THANKS!!!
    Nothing can clench you thirst except rum and gold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

im pretty certain hes wrong.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by careerbellman View Post
    Probably everyone knows but I dont. I got a PS3 and will buy Guitar hero for the PS3. But is the PS2 game Guitar HEro: ROCK OF THE 80s playable on the PS3 with the PS3 guitar hero guitar? An employee at Best Buy seemed to think it wasnt compatable. That SUCKS if thats correct. Could anyone tell me for sure. THANKS!!!
    PS2 Guitar Hero games and the PS3 are a confusing and frustrating experience.

Okay. Follow me if you can, we'll go through everything.

Guitar Hero 1 for PS2 CAN be played perfectly on a PS3 using a PS2 Guitar Hero Guitar and a USB to PS2 controller adapter (but it has to be one with a PS Button feature).

Guitar Hero 2 for PS2 has VERY "limited" functionality on a PS3 when using a PS2 Guitar Hero Guitar and a USB to PS2 controller adapter (with that PS button feature) ... however by "limited" functionality I'll just go ahead and say TOTALLY UN-PLAYABLE.

Guitar Hero Rocks the 80's suffers from the same "limited" functionality that Guitar Hero 2 does on the PS3 (again, TOTALLY UN-PLAYABLE).

Guitar Hero 3 for PS3 and it's wireless guitar works fine with PS3 ... because, well, it was developed for the PS3. However, even though the wireless guitar has a PS button, and was developed for PS3, it WILL NOT FUNCTION WITH Guitar Hero 1, 2, or Rocks the 80's.

So, there you go.

Currently the ONLY Guitar Hero game from the PS2 catalog that works fine on the PS3 is Guitar Hero 1 with a USB to PS2 controller adapter (with a PS button).

And, just to be thorough - the Rock Band Guitar for PS3 ALSO does not work with ANY Guitar Hero game on PS3.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    PS2 Guitar Hero games and the PS3 are a confusing and frustrating experience.

Okay. Follow me if you can, we'll go through everything.

Guitar Hero 1 for PS2 CAN be played perfectly on a PS3 using a PS2 Guitar Hero Guitar and a USB to PS2 controller adapter (but it has to be one with a PS Button feature).

Guitar Hero 2 for PS2 has VERY "limited" functionality on a PS3 when using a PS2 Guitar Hero Guitar and a USB to PS2 controller adapter (with that PS button feature) ... however by "limited" functionality I'll just go ahead and say TOTALLY UN-PLAYABLE.

Guitar Hero Rocks the 80's suffers from the same "limited" functionality that Guitar Hero 2 does on the PS3 (again, TOTALLY UN-PLAYABLE).

Guitar Hero 3 for PS3 and it's wireless guitar works fine with PS3 ... because, well, it was developed for the PS3. However, even though the wireless guitar has a PS button, and was developed for PS3, it WILL NOT FUNCTION WITH Guitar Hero 1, 2, or Rocks the 80's.

So, there you go.

Currently the ONLY Guitar Hero game from the PS2 catalog that works fine on the PS3 is Guitar Hero 1 with a USB to PS2 controller adapter (with a PS button).

And, just to be thorough - the Rock Band Guitar for PS3 ALSO does not work with ANY Guitar Hero game on PS3.
    In other words, buy GHIII for the 360.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Insert Coin (Level 0) UniHamachi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you use 2 guitars for the Wii version at the same time? I know they don't sell unbundled guitars, but it may be worth it for me to buy another bundle assuming you can hook up two guitars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    In other words, buy GHIII for the 360.
    Quoted for truth.

I have GH I, II, and 80's for PS2, but for the 3rd offering in the series, I migrated over to 360 due to it's superior compatibility issues.

A wireless guitar that's fully functional with the back catalog of GH releases for the 360 (which is currently only Guitar Hero II ... but, hey, at least it works 100%), a handful of exclusive songs and downloadables for GH II, and the entire selection of "main" Guitar Hero I songs available for download on GH II.

The only thing that's solidly exclusive (for the time being) for the PS2 is "Rocks the 80's" which does have an excellent selection of tracks ... but is not worth keeping all purchases in the series on one's PS2 JUST to play that one.

At the time I bought it, I assumed that the PS2 titles would in some way eventually be compatible with PS3 ... but for now, I think Sony is keeping them deliberately crippled to maintain PS2 sales, and I don't think we'll see that resolved for years if ever.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 12-10-2007 at 12:22 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0) careerbellman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys for clearing that up. That REALLY SUCKS I CANT PLAY ROCK OF THE 80s on my PS3!!!! And I dont see that title in the works for any other system. That one has BY FAR the best tracks on it, at least for me. I find it hard to believe that they havent put that out for the 360 or Wii.
    Does anyone know if there are plans to put Rock of the 80s out for the current platforms?
    Thanks
    Jim
    Nothing can clench you thirst except rum and gold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by careerbellman View Post
    Thanks guys for clearing that up. That REALLY SUCKS I CANT PLAY ROCK OF THE 80s on my PS3!!!! And I dont see that title in the works for any other system. That one has BY FAR the best tracks on it, at least for me. I find it hard to believe that they havent put that out for the 360 or Wii.
    Does anyone know if there are plans to put Rock of the 80s out for the current platforms?
    Thanks
    Jim
    Since that game was developed by Harmonix, who have moved out to develop the Rock Band franchise for EA and MTV Games ... I don't think we'll see that one "ported" as-is.

From what I understand, Neversoft had to pretty much build Guitar Hero III from the ground up ... but, that's not to say that the SONGS from Rocks the 80's (the title of the game is Guitar Hero Encore Rocks the 80's) can't be made available for download on PS3 or 360.

I'm sure if people make enough noise they'll either make the songs downloadable for GH III OR make a new 80's-centric batch of rock songs.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. That's good to know. I ALMOST bought the PS3 version in hopes of being able to play all my old volumes on my new system. Good thing they were out of stock, or I would have been one angry gal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Quote Originally Posted by UniHamachi View Post
    Can you use 2 guitars for the Wii version at the same time? I know they don't sell unbundled guitars, but it may be worth it for me to buy another bundle assuming you can hook up two guitars.
    The Wii version has Co-Op Career doesn't it? The answer is yes and yes.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor