Thread: Advertising in games...

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Advertising in games...

Wow. This may not be news to anyone else or perhaps similar discussions have been had here before, but I was just running around in Crackdown trying to clear up some achievements and I ran across a huge billboard on top of a building and it said "Will Smith - I am Legend - 12-14-07". I do not recall this being on the billboard in the past...Has advertising reached that point in games? Apparently if you're hooked into Xbox live then the movie ads update like they would in the "real" world.

It just kinda took me by surprise.
    Last edited by misfits859; 12-10-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's been going on in PC games for some time. The closest thing I can think of in console was The Getaway games, where a lot of the advertisements featured in the game were for current movie and music releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dtolley
    PSN
    dtolley

Rainbow 6 always has something new on their billboards in the game.
    Digitpress
    Ebay

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, advertising in games. That says to me: free to download.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can tolerate ads in games to an extent but what I can't stand is when they take it one step further and put them in the achievements. Like the ones for Fight Night Round 3. They *all* have company names in them, like "Burger King Achievement" and "Dodge Achievement".

And they even threw an entire commercial in there too. When you fight in the Dodge Arena, they played some 30 second car commercial before the game starts. But what else do you expect from EA?
    Last edited by norkusa; 12-10-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as the adverticing blends naturally in with the game i dont mind it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dtolley
    PSN
    dtolley

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    As long as the adverticing blends naturally in with the game i dont mind it.
    I agree. But when it gets to the point when characters in Gears Of War are in battle yelling, "I'm glad I'm wearing my Speed Stick deodorant!" Or when the chick from Heavenly Sword is glad she wore a Tampax that day, that's when I'll start getting pissed about it.
    Digitpress
    Ebay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard79 View Post
    I agree. But when it gets to the point when characters in Gears Of War are in battle yelling, "I'm glad I'm wearing my Speed Stick deodorant!" Or when the chick from Heavenly Sword is glad she wore a Tampax that day, that's when I'll start getting pissed about it.

You know, I'd actually like to see a Speed Stick commercial with Marcus Phoenix's endorsement. Just like you can't fight Locust without a Lancer, you can't fight perspiration without Speed Stick.

The ads in games controversy really doesn't bother me all that much. Just like some of you said, if it flows with the game, I don't usually recognize it. That's kind of interesting about the Crackdown ads updating over time, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I can tolerate ads in games to an extent but what I can't stand is when they take it one step further and put them in the achievements. Like the ones for Fight Night Round 3. They *all* have company names in them, like "Burger King Achievement" and "Dodge Achievement".

And they even threw an entire commercial in there too. When you fight in the Dodge Arena, they played some 30 second car commercial before the game starts. But what else do you expect from EA?
    Are you SERIOUS? That's insane. You spent 60 bucks for a commercial. Lo-ve-ly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I think that advertising in games, like product placement in movies, robs the game or movie of its integrity. To me it says: sure, we spent months, maybe even years developing this title, but we're not afraid to cheapen ourselves and our product with tacky ads. I realize that some developers/publishers try to rationalize it by saying it helps recoup development costs, but to me, it's a grave offense and says to the gamer: our accounting department blows and our project lead should be fired for not getting shit done on time or within the budget.

Of course, as has already been discussed, this mainly happens with franchises and EA games (was that redundant?), so the likelihood of me seeing them is next to null.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Half Japanese View Post
    I think that advertising in games, like product placement in movies, robs the game or movie of its integrity. To me it says: sure, we spent months, maybe even years developing this title, but we're not afraid to cheapen ourselves and our product with tacky ads. I realize that some developers/publishers try to rationalize it by saying it helps recoup development costs, but to me, it's a grave offense and says to the gamer: our accounting department blows and our project lead should be fired for not getting shit done on time or within the budget.

Of course, as has already been discussed, this mainly happens with franchises and EA games (was that redundant?), so the likelihood of me seeing them is next to null.
    Not only that, but it's an issue of value too. From the consumers point of view I find myself saying, "Okay, I hate advertisements. I don't like watching them, or reading them, and I will leave the room or flip the channel when they come on TV. Why then, did I just spend 60 dollars to be exposed to them?" It's different if the game is free and the funding model is advertiser based, but when I pay for something I don't want to constantly be bombarded with stuff I don't like. That's not entertainment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    Not only that, but it's an issue of value too. From the consumers point of view I find myself saying, "Okay, I hate advertisements. I don't like watching them, or reading them, and I will leave the room or flip the channel when they come on TV. Why then, did I just spend 60 dollars to be exposed to them?" It's different if the game is free and the funding model is advertiser based, but when I pay for something I don't want to constantly be bombarded with stuff I don't like. That's not entertainment.
    I completely agree, and while it may not have been expressed, it was certainly implied. I will groan and put up with ads if something is free, but when I'm paying it feels like a slap in the face. It's bad enough that the marketing people bombard us on cable TV, at urinals and what-have-you, but don't fuck with my games, they're fine just the way they are thankyouverymuch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Ah, advertising in games. That says to me: free to download.
    That's retarded. If you don't like advertising in a game, it should turn you off to the extent that you don't want to play it. Don't use that as an excuse to be a cheapass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well said. I really, really hate advertisements in games (excluding sports where realism is the goal). I can't think of any game where it doesn't take me out of context. Even Rainbow Six 3 is a made up world. Advertising real products goes against the entire point of why I play games in the first place.