Thread: Problem with Coleco Telstar Arcade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Problem with Coleco Telstar Arcade

I recently purchased a Coleco Telstar Arcade. Unfortunately it does not produce any video signal other than static. . The proper sounds for each game can be heard emitting from the internal speaker when the device is turned on. I opened the case and confirmed that all three coaxial connections were in place. I didn't observe any broken solder points or components showing obvious damage.
    Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and is there a solution? Any and all assistance is, of coarse, much appreciated.
    The world has moved on and left me behind. Therefore I choose to retreat into the past.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't offer any help, but neither of mine display color as they should. One of mine constantly buzzes. It seems as though they are rather unreliable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Silly question but have you tried a different TV/Computer switch box? I thought I had a couple bad systems but found my switch box was wonky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicShaman View Post
    I can't offer any help, but neither of mine display color as they should. One of mine constantly buzzes. It seems as though they are rather unreliable.
    That's rather depressing news.

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Silly question but have you tried a different TV/Computer switch box? I thought I had a couple bad systems but found my switch box was wonky.

I hooked it up using the switch box I have constantly attached to the TV. I have the 2600 connected right now and it's working fine.
    The world has moved on and left me behind. Therefore I choose to retreat into the past.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

sometimes systems just get old I guess and don't always function properly. Have you tried finding a replacement video cable for the system itself? sometimes those will shit the bed, especially if it is the original cable. I'd say it may be worth checking into because then you wouldn't have to go looking for a whole new system.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I almost always have trouble with pong systems when I first hook them up. No video or snowy video or no audio or glitching graphics or flaky paddles or any number of things. After a good cleaning and some attention to all the important contacts, both inside and out, I can usually get them working fine, though.

Remember, these things are 30+ years old now and have probably been in storage for 28+ of those years. If it's working at all, I'd say they were actually pretty reliable.

So give the system a nice massage and rubdown, especially around the RF box (the internal one, not the switchbox, which you already mentioned you know to be working) and the RF connection on the back of the system. And definitely try another RCA cable from the system to the switchbox, like mailman187'um*666 mentioned if you haven't already. Doesn't the Telstar Arcade work by having the Pong/whatever-on-a-chip on a separate cartridge that connects to the main unit which is just an empty shell that sends power and controller signals to the cartridge and receives audio and video back? If so, the symptoms you're getting could even be because of a bad cartridge connection, so take a look there, too.

Good luck. I bet you'll get it working eventually.

...word is bondage...
    Last edited by Sweater Fish Deluxe; 12-12-2007 at 02:14 PM.