Thread: Best 360 Online Games

Insert Coin (Level 0) Merlins Beard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best 360 Online Games

As a newcomer to the Xbox (I still love my Wii, but...there's just not enough titles to satisfy me, and some of those 360 games just looked too damn fun), I was wondering what games some of you might recommend for having the best online play? I obviously have Halo 3 and think it is fantastic.

A friend told me Rainbow 6 had fun online play, but I don't know how much I trust his judgement. Thanks in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Right now it's Call of Duty 4...and it will be for a long, long time. It is the best online shooter on XBL hands down. The leveling and perk systems keep giving you a reason to "play just one more". 10 out of 10. This game will be $37.00 at Target Dec. 26.

Rainbow Six: Vegas - The community has dwindled a bit since CoD4 was released. It's still a solid online shooter. Great cover system.

Halo 3 - I encourage most people to ignore the haters and try it out. Halo is all about crazy physics and unrealistic combat. The "beat down" is the most addictive way of killing someone EVER.

A warning...

Team Fortress 2 - Is broken at this point. Don't waste your time. It can be a fun game with a bunch of friends, but the lag kills this game every other match.

Edit: Changed Target sales date.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 12-18-2007 at 02:51 PM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Halo 3 - I encourage most people to ignore the haters and try it out. Halo is all about crazy physics and unrealistic combat. The "beat down" is the most addictive way of killing someone EVER.
    Heartily seconded. I'm not a big Halo fan, but I've been addicted to this one since its release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    itsmeFAMOUS

COD4 & Lost Planet

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by FAMOUS View Post
    COD4 & Lost Planet
    I love Lost Planet, but I have just one teeny complaint about it. The matchmaking SUCKS. I gave up because as I was trying to build up my levels, almost every game I was fighting against lvl 90's or above and getting my ass handed to me with just about no hope of survival. I know I'm not that great at the game, but not being matched with similarly skilled players killed the experience for me. I guess it's better with a group of friends.

+1 for Halo 3, bopping a whiny kid in the back of the head has never been so fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dtolley
    PSN
    dtolley

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    It's about the only way you can kill someone...

I vote Rainbow Six Vegas, GRAW 2, COD4, or Lost Planet. If shooters aren't your favorite, then try out Crackdown, Burnout, or Guitar Hero 3. As far as single player games, Bioshock, The Orange Box, Assassin's Creed, and The Darkness.
    Digitpress
    Ebay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    itsmeFAMOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard79 View Post
    As far as single player games, Bioshock, The Orange Box, Assassin's Creed, and The Darkness.
    agreed,all fantastic games! How sick would it be to have 18-24 Assassins Creed free-for-all in Jerusalem, *lag free*

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah be careful of a lot of your earlier now "budget" titles.

Games like Prey, Quake IV are so laggy they are horrible. Last I tried the Darkness is not even playable! I hear FEAR is pretty good. Last I tried it Farcry is decent. Dunno much about Timeshift I'm hearing mixed, I fired the game up and my first impressions was not impressed.

Something else I though was decent but didn't do too much of was Saint's Row.

Call of Duty 3 (especially now for its price), is a very addictive online play even MOH Airborne is fun (although that one can be quite glitchy).

But like others have mentioned the best game out there right now, the must have is COD4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If shooters aren't your favorite, then try out Crackdown, Burnout, or Guitar Hero 3.
    Yep! Definitely no shooting in Crackdown! On a related note, if you don't like racing games be sure to check out Need for Speed Pro Street
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Insert Coin (Level 0) Merlins Beard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A hearty thanks to everyone.

Sounds like I'll be picking up Call of Duty 4 next. Are there not many online RPGs for the 360 yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Team Fortress 2 is a GREAT onliine game IF it is run by someone that has a good ping rate. They have fixed the earlier bugs, and now it is running fine with 12 or less players. If you try the 16 player one you will have bad lag no matter how good your connection is.

COD4 is good, so is Halo 3 (multiplayer on both, the single player on both is average but with great graphics).

Rainbow 6 Vegas is great as long as some one isn't cheating on the board.

Timeshift is ok, but it moves crazy fast.

Totally agree with Crackdown the game was a blast, and I thought Bioshock was one of the best games EVER.

Having more then 1 system makes it even harder then b4 to try and play all the great games that have come out this year.

Welcome to the addicting world of online shooters on the 360. There isn't too many bad ones out there.

Only Online RPG's right now are: Two Worlds (or better named Two Turds)
    and FFXI. There are some coming out by the end of the year if my memory serves me correctly
    Currently Playing:
    X-Box 360: Rock Band, Dark Sector, Orange Box, Mass Effect, Scene IT DVD (360) Bully (360 Version)

Can't wait for Bioshock 2 !!!

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's about the only way you can kill someone...
    Ahem ... perhaps you're not playing against skilled opponents. I admit, when you first start playing the punch seems like the way to go, since it's so powerful. However, I don't feel like I rely on it all that much. And, as it turns out, my Bungie.net stats back me up.

Although I have achieved 19% of my kills with my fist (keep in mind, you're always armed with it, too) the Assault Rifle is right behind it at 15%, followed by the shotgun at 12%. If I'm killing only one out of every 5 enemies with the fist, I must have other methods, too. However, I do see where the concern is coming from.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question

hey digdug.....there was a guy dressed up like a lady today in gamestop...he/she was wearing a digdug shirt...was that you by chance?

Insert Coin (Level 0) parker619's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

call of duty 4
    svr 2008
    fifa 08
    halo 3
    gh3

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

though it might be old as dirt mcgert, I like COD 2 (better than 3).

Still fun to play online with peeps. You can get it for like 12 bucks at gamestop too.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

I'll throw Gears of War in there. Other than Call of Duty 4, I've had the most fun with it online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Team Fortress 2 is about the only game I play online with any regularity. I don't know what people are talking about saying it's "broken." Sure, there's lag, but it's rare if you join a game with good ping. I've even played plenty of 16-player matches with little to no lag. TF2's got so much variety and so many different strategies that it stays fresh long after you initially think you know all there is to know about it.

Here's a wild card for you: Shadowrun. I picked up Shadowrun the day it came out and played fairly religiously (by myself, mind you, I had no friends with the game). I still think it's one of the best games of the year, even if MS made the bone-headed move of canning FASA Studios, ensuring no more maps or other content would ever come out for it. If they would have launched this at $40, there would still be a decent following for it. As it stands, I consider it a noble failure that really delivered, though longtime fans of the series were inevitably disappointed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep I agree, don't have many problems with Team Fortress either. Occasional lag.

GoW is fun, I've always sucked at it. And Shadowrun been meaning to play it but initial looks it was good. I think its cheap as hell now too $20?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Forget all those brick-and-mortar releases!

You want good multiplayer online games?

Look no further than your XBLA!!!

Uno
    Texas Hold'Em
    Bankshot Billiards
    Catan
    Contra / Super Contra
    TMNT The Arcade Game
    Streets Of Rage 2
    Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo

For a few bucks, you can have hours of fun online with other players and you don't even have to leave your house!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Great thread..
    I'm so curious as to what's actually still played online via Xbox live..

Is there a list somewhere of what 360(and Xbox) games that are still being played online?

I'm fairly new to Xbox live..9 months or so now..So please bear with me as my post might have more questions then anything.
    I'd love to experience all I can with Live as I feel I've missed a lot.
    All my 360 games I bought to play Offline...Now a lot of them have new life,to play them online...
    If a game is good to play online I buy two copies..One for my Sons 360 who I have a separate live account.(I hate split screen)

I mainly play Call Of Duty 3(I LOVE THIS GAME)..I'm really good at it always finishing on the top of the list in score.
    My Son is great at it too..
    The perfect night for us is for both of us to get into the same game,usually capture the flag or war via the two 360s
    Unfortunately this doesn't happen much..We both find that the connection quality in the games to join is one star and neither of us can get into a game or at least together.
    Or even when I see all stars it says that I cannot connect to all players..

The coolest thing about playing COD3 online with my Son via two 360s..Is that we can team up and with the two TVs next to each other I can see where enemies are at if we split up,..without having to rely on people talking through the mic as I've found that people still don't own headset-mics.
    If my Son plays on the Enemy side I can see through his TV where the enemy is...located..
    So it's usually me giving direction as to where the enemy is coming from..This might be an advantage but it doesn't really even give my side a win.
    My Son kicks my butt in this game anyway when he goes on the enemy side.

COD2...This game I used to be able to get into but lately after a few minutes in I get a message "internet Interruption" then I get kicked out..
    It's not just me because I can see the other players stuck or bumping into stuff too,
    I have two copies of it but I still haven't tried to play it with my Son online due to the above.

Call Of Duty 4...This game work FLAWLESSLY for me online...Though I do hear people saying over the headset that there is Lag going on..
    So if this game works Great for me online and COD3/COD2 doesn't..is it the games,the servers..
    I could have problems getting online with COD3/COD2/Lag in Team Fortress ..Pop in COD4 right after and Have No problems..

My Son has a copy of COD4 coming to him on Christmas I hope that we can both play this online together.

Halo 3...(I'm so lost with this game online,We've finished the game co-op. via two 360s in the normal setting...My son gets into online,Slayer ..but that's all I find..
    How do I get into capture the flag or other type online games.
    I'd be deep into this with My Son if we could find say a vehicle,capture the flag map and be able to get into the same game via two 360s

Forza 2(but I don't have any cars to race online-I take it I have to win some offline races to get cars to play online.)

Halo 2,..when I first got my 360 I was able to get into an online game..now it keeps telling me that I'm missing maps..I downloaded everything that I can find available in the marketplace but I still can't get into any online games.
    Right now it's

Team Fortress 2..I like this game,but I get frustrated with the lag...Once too many people get into the game it just starts to drag/lag..again,..I like it and I just keep trying.

Ghost Recon 2(I'm ok at it....I just haven't given it much time online.

Gears of War (I only find one game to join and I got my head handed to me..with a max of two three people..it's seems I'm playing pros)

Rainbow Six Vegas.(I do find games online but I don't last long..Sometimes I do sometime I don't) I haven't had the time to play the offline game and would like to do that first.

FEAR..I find no online games to play...Though I've finished the game offline.

Crackdown(maybe I should buy a second copy and play the online Co-op with my Son)
    Lost Planet(I can't tell who the enemy is..
    Command & Conquer?..(I'd like to try this game online if ?
    Chromehounds(I'm seriously lost,how do I play online)
    Over G Fighters..I found one player online,who was just fooling around,,I kept flying until I just nose dived into the ocean)
    Saints Row,(I never tried..
    The Outfit(I find nothing online)
    Blazing Angels(I haven't tried it yet.
    Splinter Cell Double Agent?
    Quake 4?
    Prey?
    Perfect Dark?
    Graw?
    Condemned?
    Armored Core 4?
    Ridge Racer 3
    Need For Speed Most Wanted..(I do find some games to play but the people are fast)
    PGR 3?
    Full Auto
    Test Drive Unlimited...(I can't seem to catch anyone to race,they always seem to quit when I try to race them)
    Dead Or Alive 4
    OBLIVION..(too deep for me right now)
    Wartech

BK Pocketbike Racer..One of the first games I played online
    .Though I race Pocket bikes doesn't mean I'm good at this game.
    Last edited by Videogamerdaryll; 12-19-2007 at 07:10 PM.