Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one playing Nights yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Any one playing Nights yet?

I just picked up the new Nights game on the Wii. So far I'm pleased. I was a little dissapointed at first at all the cinema being thrown at me, but once I got to the real gameplay I was a happy boy again. The chase stages and boss battles were just like the Saturn game I love so much. There were a few small tweaks, but overall it's just what I wanted when I plunked down my $50 almost 5 months ago.

There are some new level variations too and the jury is out in my mind on those. One I played was sort of like an enemy-less game of defender, where nightopians are sucked up in a vortex and you must save all you can by looping around them until time runs out. I liked it for a little bit but by the end I was waiting for it to be over. There was also a rafting stage that I don't think really belongs in the game at all. It's good that they are trying to grow the gameplay, but this just doesn't fit.

Overall I'm very pleased and so far I have to say Sega did good on this one. However I was wondering what some other peoples impressions were. Some of you may have played further in than me and can give better insight. For those on the fence, I'd say definately give it a try.
    Last edited by Garry Silljo; 12-19-2007 at 07:59 PM.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Oh shit, I forgot it came out today!!!

**Runs to Best Buy**

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wasn't the release date originally on the 18th? I went yesterday to get it and they said it comes out today. I had plans today so I'll probably pick it up on Friday. Hopefully it's worth it. If not I may move all of my money over to Smash Bros.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZackyH View Post
    Wasn't the release date originally on the 18th? I went yesterday to get it and they said it comes out today. I had plans today so I'll probably pick it up on Friday. Hopefully it's worth it. If not I may move all of my money over to Smash Bros.
    I did the same thing. They told me that was the "ship" date, and not the release date. Sounded fishy, but it's easy to drop by on my way home from work so I just shrugged it off. I need to start setting aside the dough for Smash Bros. Thanks for reminding me. I think it's definately worth it. I've barely scratched the surface and am already replaying stages trying to up my grades. Once you get past all the intro stuff and hit meat of the game, it's what it should be. High replay, just like the original.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So how is the weather feature working out....is it accurate...does it do it in real time as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Almost 100% of the time the instore day is 1 day after the release date. Only "mega-titles" like Guitar Hero/Madden/Halo are sold on their release date, and from time to time lesser known titles that tie into movie releases. This of course is not set in stone, but it's how things work out most of the time.

I picked my my reserved copy today- I have yet to open Nights, Resident Evil or Ghost Squad for the Wii since I'm still working on Mario Galaxy. I will probably try Nights out next week along with the others, since I will have finished finals and be free from school forever.

From the impressions I've read, it seems like pretty good game. As long as it's colorful, plays well and has good music (which is what I'm hearing) I'll be very happy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I preordered it online (I'm not sure why I decided to go that route), so I should have it in a couple days. I've been waiting 11 years for this game.

Does it still have the A-Life feature? None of the previews I read seemed to mention it. That was one of the best (and most impressive, interesting, unique, etc.) features of the original IMO; NiGHTS is one of the most replayable games of all time and that feature is partly why.
    Last edited by j_factor; 12-19-2007 at 11:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Insert Coin (Level 0) animesuperj's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked it up, but had to go to work right away once I got home. Now that I'm back from work, I have to go to bed early because I have my last exam for the semester tomorrow. Which is good! However, sucks cause I can't play Nights. I've been looking forward to this game coming out for a while, hopefully it's a good play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

I've read it supports the GameCube controller. This true?
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    I've read it supports the GameCube controller. This true?
    this is true, you can use the wiimote/nunchuck the classic controller, which I like, and the gamecube controller, take your pick

I only managed to get through the breif tutorial last night, but so far the controls are nice, and I can't wait to dig into this more tonight!!
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm picking it up today, can't wait. I bought a Wii for this title, there's no way I'm going to miss it.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I'm going to send halo 3 back to gamefly to rent this. I'll post my opinions on it when I get it, But I haven't played the original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Does it still have the A-Life feature? None of the previews I read seemed to mention it. That was one of the best (and most impressive, interesting, unique, etc.) features of the original IMO; NiGHTS is one of the most replayable games of all time and that feature is partly why.
    Yes, A-lifes are in this game too. There is something new called a "My Dream" that is sort of like a garden you can send A-lifes to. Then you interact with them and shift and shape the garden to your pleasure. Weather in this area is dtermined by the Wii-Weather channel's most recent findings. I haven't fiddled too much this part yet. Right now I'm much interested in the main levels. I will be getting deeper into this game later tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought it but haven't opened it up yet...will once I finish a few more of my backlog list up first.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

I've been waiting years to play it, and finally bought it, but it will have to wait until Christmas until it gets unwrapped. I enjoyed reading everyone's impressions - I can't wait to see more. So the weather only changes in the My Dream section, or can the official levels be affected too? So do the A-Life creatures work like Mii's - can they flock to other consoles and such? I'm sure there are a lot of goodies that will only reveal themselves upon replay after replay, just like the original game.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

I've been playing the japanese one for a few weeks, and it's awesome. Not Original-Nights awesome, but still pretty damn great. I love it. Not a patch on the original, but still WELL worth buying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I wonder if the game will change to Christmas NiGHTS on Tuesday???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    I wonder if the game will change to Christmas NiGHTS on Tuesday???
    I'm certainly going to check. If not in the regular levels, maybe there will be a xmas tree in the "my dream" area, or a special present where the treasure chest usually appears.

I've gotten a little deeper into the title and am liking it even more now. Some of those different levels have started to grow on me, and I'm looking high and low for all the drops for the fountain. The chameleon boss is somewhat of an ass bite though. I tried him three times in a row and never even found him once before time ran out, and then on my fourth try I got in like 5 seconds? It's more of a luck boss than a skill one, like the balloon guy you have to shoot to the top of the screen like a pinball game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After reading a few extremely disappointing and negative reviews, I held off buying and simply rented the game. I am not too far yet but from what I've experienced, those doom-doom negative reports greatly exaggerated the game's minor faults. I'm having fun and I must admit to feeling significant nostalgia and even excitement as I saw the new interpretation! Love the look and the music. Only squeeled like a little girl once or twice though.

I'll have to play more to be sure, but so far I do not mind NiGHTS having a voice. It mostly sounds like a british young boy that is perhaps voiced by a woman voice actor. It is not bad, certainly nothing like "Big the Cat's" voice, if you recall that. The cinemas ... just get thru them. Stupid that you cannot skip them, but so far from what I've seen, it is only the very beginning that you have to watch lengthy ones. Some sequences CAN be skipped by pressing the + button. And I find the close-up cinemas to hardly be as 'ugly' as reported elsewhere. Finally, the game in action is more vibrant than any screenshot I've seen so far.

Gameplay -- not quite as easy to control as the original, I noticed. There is just a tiny different feel when I paraloop, and at first I was missing some blue chips and paraloops until I adjusted. I've been using the nunchuk & remote & having no problems. Using the remote alone is truly as awful as reported elsewhere -- there is a lag as you move your cursor! You could probably play that way, but who would want to? Stick with nunchuk's 3D stick.

Bosses -- the bosses from the original NiGHTS game were a real treat, strange and different. So far in Journey of Dreams, I have fought one boss (a descendent of the original's "Puffy") twice, which was a nice surprise. First battle was smaller and easier; the second battle came a few stages later and it covers significantly more territory. You have to grab or drill-dash the fat ball jester higher and higher, smashing transparent blockades and walls as you go, until you finally pop it on the nightmare level's sharp fangs at the top. Super-strange yet awesome music, great visuals and frame rate here -- I was loving it even as I failed over&over. I saw Caf Jr fighting a magician / card-playing lizard boss -- neither of use could figure it out because it was so un-traditional. Which is a compliment!

The normal levels feel very similiar to the original but in truer 3D, perhaps a bit slower, with the camera angle a bit further back. Very very similar and I'm not really sure yet of the best ways to score high. Thus, I suspect there is a hidden level of depth to the levels that I haven't discovered yet. But it is different from the original's Bonus Time multi-laps concept so I'm not sure.

So far, I am enjoying the game, finding it a bit bewildering at times and growing more fun as I continue to acclimate to it. That's all for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

I liked it the first time when it was called Nights on Saturn.

Of course many years have passed and only the most naive casual gamers would be interested by thi... oh..wait...Wii? Yeah it will sell.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r