Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing Gaming Moments

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Embarrassing Gaming Moments

Anyone have any embarrassing moments in video gaming they'd like to share?

I know there's a video game confessions thread, but I'm interested in particular moments in your video gaming past that stick out as embarrassing.

Ever talk smack to your opponents boasting your big game only to get trampled under foot?

Ever have friends walk in to catch you dancing to Samba de Amigo?

Let's hear it.

Insert Coin (Level 0) parker619's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

welll i remember i was gonna invite one of my friends round to play svr 2006 on ps2 and i was boasting for ages that i was the best at buried alive and i would kick his ass but when the time came we did three stages of hell and he beat me in singles and hell in a cell and i beat him in submission,,,

and then we did a buried alive and he won

but not so long ago i went round his house and we were playing svr 2008 on ps2 and he though he was all good, when i beat him at singles and first blood and he only got a win in last man standing,, hehe i guess good things happen to those who wait

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's one:

When Animal Crossing came out on the GameCube, I was really looking forward to playing all the NES games it featured as unlockable bonuses.

At the time I had a roommate who was also into video games, but not quite as much as I was. We played a ton of FIFA (he's from Brazil and loves soccer), but he'd also play Animal Crossing - a testament to its addictive qualities.

The game rewards you for doing things which help other animals in your community. Chores, gift-giving, letter-writing, etc. If you do something to anger another animal, they can stay angry for a small time, too.

Well, once, while playing, I figured out you could hit other animals in the face with your shovel. Naturally, they don't like it very much and will walk around in a huff if you do it repeatedly. I had done this. I walked up to a particularly friendly bear, "Teddy," who lived just to the west of my house and smacked him about 12 times in the head.

He walked around with those little black clouds over his head and wouldn't talk to me after that. So I thought "Ahh, why not write him an apology letter?" You see, I had heard somewhere that using keywords in your letters could trigger the game's karma system to reward you with rare gifts. All I wanted was cool NES games for my pad. So I wrote Teddy a small note containing what I though would make good keywords like "sorry" and "please."

Dear Teddy,

I'm sorry I hit you in the head with that shovel.
    Please forgive me.

Sincerely,
    Cledus
    (me)

About a week later, my roommate was playing the game and I was there watching and eating my dinner. He wanted to visit my town to see what was for sale at my town's store. While walking to the store, who should he run into but my pal Teddy! He engaged Teddy in conversation. And then it happened.

Teddy asks him something like, "Hey do you know Cledus? He writes such nice letters. Look!

At this point I was beginning to become a little nervous.

Then the damn bear shows my roommate the letter. My roommate begins reading it out loud and with each word, his laughter began breaking through. By the end of the very short letter, he was howling and slumped over on the couch. "That's so gay!!" Oh, my God, THAT IS SO GAY!!!" "HAHAHAHA, That's HILARIOUS!!!"

I had no idea the other animal residents showed letters you wrote to other players. I tried explaining my reasoning with the keywords, the letter-writing, the NES games. I couldn't even squeeze a word in through the laughter.

I guess Teddy got his revenge after all.

The irony? I don't even think keywords reward you with anything like NES games. I went through the embarrassment of writing letters to teddy bears for nothing.
    Last edited by Cambot; 12-20-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) parker619's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think i would of started laughin about apologizing to a teddy bear for hitting them with a shovel 12 times lol

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I have a green mouse in my town named Anicotti. I hate her because she keeps calling me 'cannoli'.

So I wrote her a profanity-laden ltter, using almost every swear word I could put in it. I concluded with 'die in a fire'.

I hope she shows it off.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    I have a green mouse in my town named Anicotti. I hate her because she keeps calling me 'cannoli'.
    ... the hell? I've never played Animal Crossing ... why would she call you a cannoli?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While playing Quarterback club on the N64 (co-op with a friend) we could not save the game even though we tried multiple times repeatedly. We kept seeing data not saved. We felt compelled to keep playing (we were at work, slow day obviously). After a while a co-worker was watching us, he says try to save. We tried and said "see it won't save". He replied "you guys are fried, it just said game data saved". We looked again... we were so baked from a long night out then a long boring day at work we completely misread the text. Don't know that I felt really embarassed, so much as I felt I needed some zzz's.
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

Usually I don't let embarrasments get to me but I am pretty sensitive about video games.

I am the self proclaimed king of da hood in Tekken 3. I didn't have anything else that much interesting to play a while back when I only had the ps, so I used to play it A LOT. Usually I pretty much kick ass in every fighting game I get my hands on (or my friends just suck).

So this one time two years ago or so, back when I was in 9th grade, we had this event that we went to during school. It was a thing that had kiosks promoting different activities all ranging from camping to a youth against drugs program to dancing games.

Of course I was most interested in the gaming activities, they had about 6 computers that they used to play cs with (I swear it should become Finland's new national sport), two dance mats and some stupid dancing game and...

DUN DUN DUN

Tekken 4 big screen for two players. So of course being the asshole that I am wanted to own all my friends publically and since I tought I still remembered all the moves from Tekken 3, I went ahead and challeged about 5-6 friends, some of them had never even played a fighting game before. So you can pretty much guess what happened, may it be from the curse of the ps 2 or the button configuration being different but I got my ass handed to myself in every round. You can guess I was embarrassed and pissed, and I still am. I'm getting back at them somehow, ohohoho.

Then I went ahead and challenged my teachers to rounds of dancing games. It's pretty amusing and embarrassing in itself but at least I won.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by HYB View Post
    Usually I don't let embarrasments get to me but I am pretty sensitive about video games.

I am the self proclaimed king of da hood in Tekken 3. I didn't have anything else that much interesting to play a while back when I only had the ps, so I used to play it A LOT. Usually I pretty much kick ass in every fighting game I get my hands on (or my friends just suck).

So this one time two years ago or so, back when I was in 9th grade, we had this event that we went to during school. It was a thing that had kiosks promoting different activities all ranging from camping to a youth against drugs program to dancing games.

Of course I was most interested in the gaming activities, they had about 6 computers that they used to play cs with (I swear it should become Finland's new national sport), two dance mats and some stupid dancing game and...

DUN DUN DUN

Tekken 4 big screen for two players. So of course being the asshole that I am wanted to own all my friends publically and since I tought I still remembered all the moves from Tekken 3, I went ahead and challeged about 5-6 friends, some of them had never even played a fighting game before. So you can pretty much guess what happened, may it be from the curse of the ps 2 or the button configuration being different but I got my ass handed to myself in every round. You can guess I was embarrassed and pissed, and I still am. I'm getting back at them somehow, ohohoho.

Then I went ahead and challenged my teachers to rounds of dancing games. It's pretty amusing and embarrassing in itself but at least I won.
    So you went from 'King of Tekken' to 'I beat my teachers in a dancing game' in one day. Wow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Default hmm

I had told my dad that I REALLY wanted Lunar for Sega CD. I told him it could become rare and we should get it when it comes out. I made this HUGE big deal and made him drive around to find it.
    He finally brought it home and I started playing.

One of the first scenes is where Luna starts singing, now don't get me wrong, I LOVED Lunar, but this scene was just silly.

My dad goes "You wanted THIS???"
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

Quote Originally Posted by Cambot View Post
    So you went from 'King of Tekken' to 'I beat my teachers in a dancing game' in one day. Wow.
    Exactly.

It was embarrassing in a way since I lost to guys too. I gotta say though my teachers are tough. It was my first time playing a dancing game though.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One night we tried to get a friend of a friend of mine to try Team Fortress 2 instead of Halo 3. The whole time he kept repeating "This better be like Halo, better be Halo. Better be fun like Halo."

I felt embarrassed for him. And my friend.

Also, maybe it's just me but I'm the type of person who would write ridiculous letters like that in Animal Crossing specifically FOR the reason of other people reading them by way of being shown by an unwitting animal and laughing their asses off, Cambot. I guess we must have different definitions of embarrassing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one night awhile ago a package arrived while I was hanging out with my girlfriend. It was an SNES and included a bunch of games, one of them being Mortal Kombat. Well I wanted to test it so I hooked it up and challenged her to a fight. She had never played before, but was a good sport and said "why not". so we fought. she beat me in two straight rounds, and ended with a fatality. what the hell?!? I can understand beginner's button-mashing luck, but a fatality? I was red.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Also, maybe it's just me but I'm the type of person who would write ridiculous letters like that in Animal Crossing specifically FOR the reason of other people reading them by way of being shown by an unwitting animal and laughing their asses off, Cambot. I guess we must have different definitions of embarrassing.
    Yeah, well I wasn't mortified or anything, but the game was still new and I was just surprised more than anything that the game remembers/shows your letters. And when you actually live with another dude, there's little to be really, really embarrassed about, anyway. It's was more just him giving me sh*t, trying to damage my ego. I was laughing, too!

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    one night awhile ago a package arrived while I was hanging out with my girlfriend. It was an SNES and included a bunch of games, one of them being Mortal Kombat. Well I wanted to test it so I hooked it up and challenged her to a fight. She had never played before, but was a good sport and said "why not". so we fought. she beat me in two straight rounds, and ended with a fatality. what the hell?!? I can understand beginner's button-mashing luck, but a fatality? I was red.
    Same thing happened to me. My little brothers-in-law (8 and 10 yrs old) were visiting from Italy when I brought out the Dreamcast so we could play some Soul Calibur. The 10 yr old kept using this nasty sweep move with Mitsurugi that killed me about 4 times in a row before I remembered how to 'high-block.'
    Last edited by Cambot; 12-20-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back when SNES emulators were just getting started, an friend and i discovered a gundam fighting game out of japan. We were both hooked on that game for years, I even went so far as to import a sealed copy and a super fami to play it on.

My friend and i have played this game repeatedly for almost 10 years now. About a year ago my 10 year old brother wanted to try. We went easy on him at first, but he ended up wiping the floor with us for the next half hour. He's not allowed to play anymore...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Dying on the first goomba in SMB1 is always embarrassing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was highly embarrassed when I blew $600+ on a Sony Blu Ray Station...
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Insert Coin (Level 0) NicoleyBoBoliey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha!
    This is interesting :P

weelllllll lets seeee

So me and a friend were the verge of a total smash bros smack down >D
    But this was intense because so far its always been ties for the past 7 times. (No we're not that good we just really suck at the same level mya! :3)

anyway, so my total gauge of concentration was filling up in such a rush, i was shaking through it all and stiffing up like the way a cat would
    and then the pressure got to my stomach and i totally poofed out this HUUUUUGEEE fart :B

the sound of it startled my friend and the remote slipped out of her hand, so I ended up winning
    hooray farty attacks
    There used to be a synopsis here but now its gone, gone, gone!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, I was gonna explain how sometimes I'm a little embarrassed to play games I suck at with people who are really good (or even with them just watching), but, I'm sorry, I can't touch Teddy's Revenge. :P

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not my embarrassment, but this is the most memorable memory I've got.

When I was about 5 years old, my friend brought over his copy of Mario 3 to my house, and me, him, and my dad were all in the room taking turns playing. When my friend got to the part of one of the first levels that has two or three music note blocks over a hole, he said, "Watch this! I'm a pro!" He launched himself off of the first block, but he missed the second block and fell down the hole. My dad then said, "Yeah, pro down the hole!" I laughed so hard.