Thread: play options for multiple formats on PS2

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default play options for multiple formats on PS2

Ok, im in Australia and want to get a PS2 that can play PS2 and PSX NTSC and PAL games, in the most or one of the most practical and cost effective ways. Obviously theres chipping a ps2 but i dont really want to do that, as i dont know who can do it and i dont want to buy a ps2 then send it out to get it chipped then it sent back.. too much hassle. Is there external chips that you can plug into your PS2? cause that would be excellent. Also is there any equivalent of the game cube freeloader disc for the PS2? as that would be excellent. Also if it comes down to getting a ps2 chipped, should i get a NTSC PS2 because wouldnt it be 60Hz compatible? i dont think aus ones are. One last thing what would be the issues of memory card compatibility? would a pal ps2 mem card work for a chipped ps2 for both ntsc and pal games or would i need seperate mem cards for ntsc and pal?

If im missing any options please tell me.
    Thanks for your time.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by SeverThe7th View Post
    Ok, im in Australia and want to get a PS2 that can play PS2 and PSX NTSC and PAL games, in the most or one of the most practical and cost effective ways. Obviously theres chipping a ps2 but i dont really want to do that, as i dont know who can do it and i dont want to buy a ps2 then send it out to get it chipped then it sent back.. too much hassle. Is there external chips that you can plug into your PS2? cause that would be excellent. Also is there any equivalent of the game cube freeloader disc for the PS2? as that would be excellent. Also if it comes down to getting a ps2 chipped, should i get a NTSC PS2 because wouldnt it be 60Hz compatible? i dont think aus ones are. One last thing what would be the issues of memory card compatibility? would a pal ps2 mem card work for a chipped ps2 for both ntsc and pal games or would i need seperate mem cards for ntsc and pal?

If im missing any options please tell me.
    Thanks for your time.
    theres a boot disc u can buy for about 25 usd but i just 4got the name =(

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can you buy it from a store (non-ebay)? Tell me if you remember the name.
    Does it convert from pal > Ntsc and vice versa or just one way? i just realized its quite possible the Pal ps2 does 60hz.

Oh yeah. this should be in the Modern Gaming forum, dont know if it can get moved?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the boot discs, called Swap Magic, can switch the console between NTSC and PAL. Only problem with them is that you need to install either a solderless mod chip, a flip top, or use a slide tool (not recomended, you're basically ripping the dvd drive out of the unit).

If you want something reliable that's not going to be a giant hassle, just find someone local to install a DMS4 mod chip. Using the swap discs is somewhat unreliable and it's a 5 minute ordeal to boot up a disc.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

**Shimmy to modern gaming**
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I'm looking for a solution in this realm too. Something that works on the singstar bundle ps2 slims, I think mine is a 17001 model. Anyone confirm that the "MagicKeys II" thingies work on one of those? I've got some swap magic discs that work fine with the fliptop, but I wanna to upgrade to the "coder" ones anyway. Any tips on a reliable place to buy online nowadays?

I've heard people complain about compatibility issues with chips, any truth to that or are they just downloading games and burning on bad media or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    I'm looking for a solution in this realm too. Something that works on the singstar bundle ps2 slims, I think mine is a 17001 model. Anyone confirm that the "MagicKeys II" thingies work on one of those? I've got some swap magic discs that work fine with the fliptop, but I wanna to upgrade to the "coder" ones anyway. Any tips on a reliable place to buy online nowadays?

I've heard people complain about compatibility issues with chips, any truth to that or are they just downloading games and burning on bad media or something?
    Me too. I'm trying to find a way to play imports and betas on my silver slim PS2 without having to mod. I hate modding and out of all my 12 plus systems I have never modded any but can still play japanese imports on 95% of them. I just want a non-modding external way to play imports and normal games. Is that even possible?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I just want a non-modding external way to play imports and normal games. Is that even possible?
    On a slimline? No.

On an older style console, you can use the independence exploit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS2_Independence_Exploit

One thing to watch out for is the Memor 32 exploit that's supposed to let you use the memory card as a mod chip. While what they describe is quite possible, i'm waiting to get one in my hands before i recommend it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is it possible to get a PS2 with DMS4 modchip already installed from the US, sent overseas? That would probably be my best option.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Bumping this as I'm looking for some advice on this still as well.

As I said, I have a slim I'm looking to set up for this. It's the Singstar bundle one, model 79001. I'm assuming that this would be all I need http://www.modchip.com/ps2/magickeys38order.php

However, is modchip.com reliable? Anyone know a better place?

edit: http://www.foundmy.com/oscom/product...roducts_id=105 cheaper, but possibly even more dodgy looking of a site.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Hell, now that I actually HAVE some money to blow, I'd like to know about those too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Cherry (Level 1) -_-Nintendo-_-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

www.acegamestore.com have a send away service for modchips which is pretty cheap and have a life time guarantee for modchips. IF you did get a modchip for the new slimline model I believe they also install an anti-burnout laser thingy too.

Too much hassle not having a chip for a slimline.