Thread: wanting to get a PS3

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default wanting to get a PS3

Hello,

I have decided that I am going to buy a PS3 in 2008. I’m in no immediate hurry as I only have $350 saved up and there is nothing I really want for it until April anyways (The Force Unleashed).

My question is does anyone have any insight on new models/releases/price drops? I am right now interested in the 80GB model because it has good BC and that is very important to me. Do you guys think that Sony is going to do away with BC in future models?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Nothing new on the horizon. Sony would be completely insane to drop prices again in such a short period of time, so no on that as well.

Things will stay as they are for the forseeable future...it looks like BC is a popular thing, as I see a lot of 40GB models around and practically no 80GBs at all.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    I am right now interested in the 80GB model because it has good BC and that is very important to me. Do you guys think that Sony is going to do away with BC in future models?
    80 gig...good BC? Not so much.

If BC is important to you, time is not on your side. Sony has done away with BC already. The new 40 gig version (which is the 'official' PS3 sku now) won't play PS2 games at all. The 80 gig plays some PS2 games through emulation, but is spotty at best (comparable to an early 2006 Xbox 360). The 60 gig is the only way to go if BC is important to you. Simple as that. The trouble is finding a 60 gig at retail is more difficult with each passing day. The same is becoming true for the 80 gig, although the remaining stock should stick around for a few more months.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    The same is becoming true for the 80 gig, although the remaining stock should stick around for a few more months.
    If you're saying the 80GB is discontinued, I'd love to see a source. I've not heard that, and I'd figure it would make big waves if true.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too have been mulling around the idea of getting a PS3. I want a 60gb, but they're still $500, and the 80gb comes with a game and wireless controller. I had heard that some places were giving you the option of an extra controller or a game off of a list if you bought a 60gb. I'm teetering on the edge at getting an 80gb, but motorstorm doesn't really interest me. I pretty much want a PS3 for Uncharted and Rachet and Clank.

Pretzel (Level 4) monkeychemist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

honestly, I am not so worried about the current track record of the emulator. Since it is software and not hardware, I am sure it will be updated to fix all the problems over time. It should be a simple download from the network. I would rather have that than hardware that will not change...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The question is, though, since Sony discontinued the DC in the new 40G model, will it continue to do any development on the software side?

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

More than likely we'll get a new SKU in late 08 that features controllers with rumble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    I too have been mulling around the idea of getting a PS3. I want a 60gb, but they're still $500.
    And they're only gonna get more expensive, since the 20 and 60 GB models were the only ones with true BC, and they were on the market for such a short period of time. I'm thinking about trading in my Wii for a 60GB model, if I can find one.

Problem is: I can't....

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is the exact reason why I looked forever for a new 60 gig. As far as BC on the 80gb its spotty at best and it won't get better. Sony has already come out and said on numerous occasions they aren't worried about BC thats why they removed the hardware. I looked on sony's site at the compatibility of PS2 games with the 80gb and out of like the 30+ games I looked up only 1 ran without problems. Im all good off that.
    Last edited by bjeong1381; 12-28-2007 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am also saving for a PS3. I'm keeping my PS2 (new in Sep) so I don't have to worry about bc. I wonder how the bc on the 80GB performs? I haven't seen it in action. Hopefully any problems are something that can be fixed with updates should Sony choose to. Didn't they fix an upscaling issue and now they're adding DIVX play back?

The main reason for the PS3 is so I can play games like Mercenaries and GTAIV. Sure they may be cross platform games but I don't trust the 360 as far as I could throw it (and I have tempted to throw one). The PS3 seems to be a solid system and that's what I'm looking for. As for the Wii. It's really more of a second system for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rcc8756

And plus getting a 60gb ps3,you have all the BC to ps1 & ps2 games,you can always upgrade the hard drive to a 250gb laptop drive,and its very easy to change out, .I bought a 60gb ps3 about a week ago off ebay BIN for 450$ with talladega nights,a extra controller and resistance, I though it was a good deal being used CIB. I would go with the 60gb version IMO.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty pleased with the PS2 BC of my 60 gig, although I prefer to play my PSX games on my PSX. I had no PS2 at the time, so it's merely a convenience thing for me. Incidentally, I acquired my PS3 from a deal that traded me straight across for one of my Wiis. (My Wii plus 10 games for this PS3 and 7 games.) I much prefer my end of the deal .

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If BC is important to you, time is not on your side. Sony has done away with BC already. The new 40 gig version (which is the 'official' PS3 sku now) won't play PS2 games at all. The 80 gig plays some PS2 games through emulation, but is spotty at best (comparable to an early 2006 Xbox 360). The 60 gig is the only way to go if BC is important to you. Simple as that. The trouble is finding a 60 gig at retail is more difficult with each passing day. The same is becoming true for the 80 gig, although the remaining stock should stick around for a few more months.
    you forgot equally awesome 20gb model which has emotion engine just as 60gb model, these are the only ones worth getting if you're planning to play lots of PS2 titles on PS3.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by studvicious View Post
    More than likely we'll get a new SKU in late 08 that features controllers with rumble.
    Yeah, I'll wait until then...hopefully it will be available in ceramic white.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do yourself a favor and go buy a nice arcade game. For $350 you should be able to find something decent.

Danny

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
    honestly, I am not so worried about the current track record of the emulator. Since it is software and not hardware, I am sure it will be updated to fix all the problems over time. It should be a simple download from the network. I would rather have that than hardware that will not change...
    Ummm...the hardware inside the 60GB PS3 is a Playstation 2. As in, they basically put the PS2 guts inside a PS3, and that runs your PS2 games. That means almost every single game is compatible with zero problems. Much, much better than software.

If it's a big part of why you're purchasing a PS3, go with a 20GB or 60GB, since they have the best PS2 compatibility. If you don't give a crap, then go with the piss-poor compatibility that the 80GB offers and will almost certainly continue to offer for the rest of its life.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you order from Japan the new 40gig systems are white and have rumble.

It's region free.... hell it's what I'll be doing shortly.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've heard a lot of good things about the PS2 emulation Sony was doing, and they've updated and fixed alot of problems already.

What are you guys basing your opinions off of? Comparable to the 360's emulation of original Xbox games? Sony's first version of their emulator has MS beat even now, and Sony has done a lot to make it even better since then.