Thread: How to remove "washed out" look in PS3 graphics

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default How to remove "washed out" look in PS3 graphics

I've seen more than a few threads here and elsewhere about the "washed out" look of PS3's graphics.

Admittedly, while playing through Assassin's Creed, I couldn't help but notice a certain flatness in the overall color palette (despite the spectacular visuals and animations) ... but in most cases, and in most games, it hasn't really phased me to the point of taking anything away from the experience.

I stumbled across this link on the Official Playstation Blog :

http://www.techbugtv.com/2007/12/imp...th-simple.html

And when I attempted the setting manipulations, I was thrilled to find that they did improve the richness of the overall color output.

I can verify via quick tests of games like Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Warhawk, Assassin's Creed, and Motorstorm, after changing the settings they looked even better on my 1080p HDMI setup then they had previously, especially Assassin's Creed.

I'm not sure if this change is limited to those utilizing HDMI setups, but it's worth looking into and trying if you have a PS3.

There are some notes from users on that site regarding "crushing blacks/shadows" by changing RGB to full ... but I've not personally noticed any loss of detail in the black areas of games, etc.

I'm not an HDTV tech, so I can't provide too much information other than what I've seen on mine (Panasonic 52 Inch 1080 LCD) but I can absolutely attest to an improvement in the richness of color, so, I guess it's a test and see for everybody.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 12-28-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sweet thanks for the link. worked for me

edit: i never noticed any washed out graphics before anyway. but i can tell a nice difference now with settings being changed
    Last edited by Gorez; 12-28-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

do you think this will make any kind of difference if I'm using component cables and an old 1080i HD Set? I think the graphics on the PS3 are fine as they are (with what I have for a TV) but wouldn't mind giving it that little boost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I wonder how (if) it affects PS2/PS1 games. I've noticed when I play PS2/PS1 games on my PS3 via HDMI it provides a deeper, richer color palette than when I use the component cables. I would bet I already have the RGB setting to "full" as the article suggests. Anyway, I'm going to try this tonight.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool! I'll be checking my settings on that when I get home. I haven't noticed my PS3 as being washed out....hell, my PS2 games look incredible on the thing.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I never noticed any "washed-out" look either in anything on the PS3, whether it be PS3 games, PS2/1 games or Blu-ray movies. They all actually look pretty damn good!! I have a 1080i HDTV anthe PS3 is hooked up via HDMI. I DID notice, oddly enough, that many of the movies/videos/pictures I have stored on the PS3 looked too dark in certain areas. To fix that problem, I actually turned the RGB to "Limited" and, voila, everything showed up brilliantly!

All this talk about certain HDTV sets has me wondering how much of a difference am I missing since my tv is maxed at 1080i (it also does 720p)? Everything that I play on either the PS3 or 360 look incredible, imo, but I'm wondering if there is a HUGE difference in a 1080P picture.......
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    I never noticed any "washed-out" look either in anything on the PS3, whether it be PS3 games, PS2/1 games or Blu-ray movies. They all actually look pretty damn good!! I have a 1080i HDTV anthe PS3 is hooked up via HDMI. I DID notice, oddly enough, that many of the movies/videos/pictures I have stored on the PS3 looked too dark in certain areas. To fix that problem, I actually turned the RGB to "Limited" and, voila, everything showed up brilliantly!

All this talk about certain HDTV sets has me wondering how much of a difference am I missing since my tv is maxed at 1080i (it also does 720p)? Everything that I play on either the PS3 or 360 look incredible, imo, but I'm wondering if there is a HUGE difference in a 1080P picture.......
    Yeah, I suppose the reason for the option being there is if you have a set that already has an exceptionally deep, rich color temperature.

"Limiting" it might serve to improve the visuals in that case, as is evidenced by your setup.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

OK well that is great but I do not have my PS3 running through HDMI so it does not mean anything to me. My PS3 graphics are washed out in Component. And if I set the settings to make the PS3 look good and saturated, my 360 looks WAY too dark. It is a shame my TV does not have different settings for different inputs.

It bothers me how I have to punch up the contrast, saturation, and color to make my PS3 games look as rich as my 360 games.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by meancode View Post
    OK well that is great but I do not have my PS3 running through HDMI so it does not mean anything to me. My PS3 graphics are washed out in Component. And if I set the settings to make the PS3 look good and saturated, my 360 looks WAY too dark. It is a shame my TV does not have different settings for different inputs.

It bothers me how I have to punch up the contrast, saturation, and color to make my PS3 games look as rich as my 360 games.
    That sucks.

I think modern HDTV's should have "memory/favorite" settings for each input channel...that would help your situation right there.

You could adjust per input and not have to worry about fiddling with them in the long run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    That sucks.

I think modern HDTV's should have "memory/favorite" settings for each input channel...that would help your situation right there.

You could adjust per input and not have to worry about fiddling with them in the long run.
    I am sure they do by now. I have one of those "old" ones from 2005
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by meancode View Post

Honestly, though? I had my PS3 hooked up through component too and I actually saw very little difference in the switch to HDMI. It also didnt look washed out in the least via component too. I only went to HDMI so I can upconvert my dvds

On side not, when I originally got my HDTV the beginning of the year, I hooked up my PS3 and 360 via s-video and they looked like complete ass! It looked like being washed out AND over-bled at the same time! Oddly enough, older systems still look damned good through s-video...go figure...
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Honestly, though? I had my PS3 hooked up through component too and I actually saw very little difference in the switch to HDMI. It also didnt look washed out in the least via component too. I only went to HDMI so I can upconvert my dvds

On side not, when I originally got my HDTV the beginning of the year, I hooked up my PS3 and 360 via s-video and they looked like complete ass! It looked like being washed out AND over-bled at the same time! Oddly enough, older systems still look damned good through s-video...go figure...
    Like I had originally stated ... mine only looked marginally washed out ... the color temperature always looked a BIT flat (especially in comparison to those PS3 demo kiosks, which always seem to have pretty rich color) ... but never really enough for me to get frustrated over, or even really pay attention to.

But when I flipped the settings (which I'm pretty sure weren't always there ... I think they showed up in a firmware update earlier this year) it did look distinctly "better" on my setup.

At best I guess it's a "test and see" ... because some people seem to have really nice results, and others are getting blacks and shadows over-saturated with lossy detail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

I have had my PS3 and 360 both hooked up via HDMI and Component. I see little difference when switching. The 360 is always nice and saturated, good color; the PS3 is always washed out and blah. Right now my 360 is HDMI because I can (just got an Elite few months back) and the PS3 is component because I don't have two HDMI on my set. Guess I need a new switch box :P

I will likely be switching my PS3 to HDMI for Blu-ray movies which I got at Christmas. But it doesn't make a huge difference, I do not have a 1080p set.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor