Thread: Atari 7800 Im very impressed!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Atari 7800 Im very impressed!!

I played Atari 7800 for the first time today and man was I impressed.

The gameplay is very fast and addictive on alot of its games.

I played
    Ballblazer (blew me away) haven't even seen this done on the Master System
    Commando
    Dark Chambers
    Donkey Kong Jr.
    Ikari Warriors
    Choplifter
    Midnight Mutants
    Mrs Pac Man
    and some others

I got to be honest 7800 has that old school fun with 8 bit graphics and I got to say its something about how meatier the graphics are on the 7800, that I can see why some prefer it over the Nes.

Oh and I do prefer Commando, Ikari Warriors and Ballblazer on the 7800. And The Nintendo classics on the system are very similar if not better than the Nes versions (Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong, and Mario Bros.)

Man!!!!!! I really missed out with the 7800, it gives all that old arcade feel with close to arcade perfect graphics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Ballblazer is always a good game to show off the 7800's playability. Midnight Mutants is also a good one, too. And Ms. Pac-Man was programmed by GCC, who programmed the original arcade version. So it's probably the best non-emulated version out there.

There's a whole bunch of good games for the 7800, but instead of going on about them, let me tell you which ones are best ignored.
    Jinks is a clunker, you use a paddle to badly attempt to steer a constantly bouncing ball across different levels with graphics that make it hard to tell what's an obstacle and what's in the background.
    Barnyard Blaster is a lightgun game that's not exactly thrilling. You essentially shoot bottles on fences and thrown in the air, and shoot varmints in a barn. Whoopee.
    Crack'ed is a lightgun game with no lightgun support. Not all that fun, and not too memorable. I can barely remember playing it, even though I think I got fairly far into it.
    Karateka is a turd. The whole thing was put together by brain damaged monkeys with computer keyboards, and after 10 minutes you'll want to smash your hand with a hammer rather than play another minute.
    Planet Smashers isn't necessarily a bad game, it's just done with no imagination. Gawd-awful sound effects (your main weapon is a shrill beep and you hear it constantly) and uninspired, drab graphics don't do anything to raise this fairly bland game above anything other than sub-average.
    I tend to stay away from the sports games, since that's just not my thing. The only one on the 7800 I would voluntarily play would be Hat Trick, mainly because I always liked the original arcade game. But nearly everyone else would be bored pretty quick.

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a good system, the only beef that I have with it is the sound. However, there are some solid ports on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad you enjoyed the 7800, but couldn't you have posted this in your other thread?

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Be sure and pick up Asteroids and Centpede for the 7800. Each has incredibly fun two-player simultaneous modes.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed the 7800, but couldn't you have posted this in your other thread?
    Yeah, 8bitdude, this kind of rampant posting about related topics is going to get the mods to close some of your threads at some point in the future. I don't know if you're new, but I'm just giving you a heads-up. You also might want to search a topic before you post to see if someone else posted it first because they don't like it when you duplicate topics.

Anyway, welcome to the DP forums.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.