Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jupitersj
    PSN
    jupitersj

Primal is my fav ps2 game...I just mentioned it in Dire 51's thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sky Oydssey

Insert Coin (Level 0) We Are Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Wearen1nja
    PSN
    Weareninja

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    A few years ago, there was a thread for PS1 hidden gems, which is one of my all-time favorite threads because I got into the Playstation one really late but I loved it because there were so many cheap quality games to purchase.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ht=hidden+gems

Anyway, since the PS2 is finally coming into its prime, I thought I would start a PS2 hidden gems thread since there are so many really good games that people missed because they were under the radar.

Amplitude
    Armored Core (series)
    Beyond Good & Evil
    Frequency
    Genji
    King of the Fighters (series)
    Mark of Kri
    Rumble Racing
    Technic Beat
    ^ Epic games in that list... You know about the Mark of Kri. Did you ever pick up the absolutely stellar sequel, Rise of the Kasai? If you haven't, it's so very worth tracking down.

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Some nominations:
    Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2
    Yakuza (why did this not do better in reviews or in the stores? The best parts of Shenmue mixed with the best parts of Spikeout? Win!)

Heard good things about and intend to play:
    Enthusia Professional Racing (hardcore racing sim)
    Spy Fiction
    1.) TXRD2 is difficult, but good.

2.) Yakuza is most likely the closest I'll ever get to visiting Japan...

3.) Enthusia is exquisite. It's the only game from the last generation that actually challenged Gran Turismo where all others failed, Konami actually attempted to recreate the actual joy/experience/feeling of driving a car. They even one-upped Polyphony Digital, they managed to impart the game with "emotion". Don't ask, just track down a copy...

4.) Skip Spy Fiction; pick up one of the old MGS's instead...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'll list a few hidden gems of mine that are truly amazing games. Most of the list will consist of Gundam and Wild ARMs games. Neither of these series get the attention they deserve and most of the games are high quality(aside from Gundam lately.)

Prepare for a very long detailed list. I'm bored and am typing this all up right before work.

First I'll start with a ton of good Gundam games that came out in the US and Japan that I own. It's sad because most people just brush off Gundam games as "Gundam," solely because they've seen crappy TV shows like Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed, and G Gundam over here in the US and because overall, Gundam is based off an anime. However, the majority of Gundam games are very high quality games and would rank among some of the best games ever created in my opinion. Seeing that this is a PS2 list, I'd also recommend everyone looking up Mobile Suit Gundam Fighter's Locus/Ace Pilot for the Gamecube, which is another amazing Gundam game.

Mobile Suit Gundam Journey to Jaburo

The game controls a bit stiff, but it is a really good game. It follows the White Base from Side 7 all the way to Jaburo and into space. There is also some mission modes where you can take control of different suits from the Federation or the Zeon side.

Definitely worth getting for a Gundam fan. If you're not a Gundam fan and like robots in general then it's also worth getting. Might even introduce you into the Gundam series as there is alot of story within the game. It's like playing through the first part of the series.

Mobile Suit Gundam Zeonic Front

Probably my least favorite of the good Gundam games, but still a great game nonetheless. This game is a side story of the Gundam series as you control a small unit of people that aren't in the series at all. The game is real time where you set your path to which the characters will go, along with you controlling one set of them. You can set each team up with different sets of equipment in which you think would help you in the mission. There are also a ton of extra missions(more than the main game) if you get high ranks on each of the main missions and then high ranks on the bonus missions will unlock more. The game touches up on a few heroes of the actual anime and your characters do attack and protect various main areas in the anime as well.

Mobile Suit Gundam Federation vs Zeon and Gundam vs Zeta Gundam.

Personally I like Federation vs Zeon more just because of the campaign mode, but GvZ has more suits, more areas, and a huge fanservice section. The gameplay is arcade style and drops you down at randoms areas on a field when you're destroyed(in arcade mode.) On the mission mode you can get in a suit and then it's similar to arcade mode but you can't die or you lose the mission. The game also has a versus mode that can play two human players and up to four altogether(two human two pc) at a time, though it could very well play four human players, I just don't know.

Mobile Suit Gundam Encounters in Space

If you like Zone of Enders or Zone of Enders 2, then pick the game up now. The gameplay to EiS is pulled straight from the ZoE games and has Gundam added to it. How Journey to Jaburo was the first part of the series, Encounters in Space is right after they go into space from Jaburo. The controls are very well polished in this game, also. Part of the game is a rail shooter, like Star Fox/Zone of Enders, then part of the game is a sphere type battle system which you'll also find in Zone of Enders. It really depends on what part in the storyline it is. It all follows the storyline extremely well and there are alot of anime cutscenes between and during all missions. The game also has Ace Pilot mode which follows a bunch of Ace Pilots and includes pilots Anivel Gato, Kou Uraki, and Cima Garahau of 0083, which playing through their missions is like playing through the second half of Stardust Memory and again, follows the story extremely well and a ton of anime cutscenes before and after missions. The game also features a versus mode as well as a mission mode to create a custom pilot. The mission mode is eight missions in a row of increasing difficulty that have to be completed in a row. You die it goes to the next mission. Awesome game and my favorite Gundam.

Mobile Suit Gundam One Year War import only.

I wish this game was in English. It's the most story driven of the Gundam games, best graphics of the PS2 games, and the gameplay is pretty good. You go through the entire story of 0079 and it shows ALOT of detailed scenes throughout. It plays like you'd expect a Gundam to play, but also it has a few areas that play like light gun shooters without the light gun(like taking control of a cannon on the side of White Base for example.) Altogether great game.

Mobile Suit Gundam Climax UC import only

Another game I wish was English so I could understand it though I know the series so it doesn't much matter. This one goes through alot of series and is a sortof combination of Journey to Jaburo and Encounters in Space. Not really much I can say about it that I already did those two. The controls on land are much smoother than they were in Journey to Jaburo and plays almost exactly like Encounters in Space while in space.

Well. Pretty long detailed list of just Gundam. Anyways. My second favorite series of games is also pretty underrated. Every game in the series has came to the US, but it doesn't sell very well. The fact that these easily top most Final Fantasy games and most people don't bother to pick them up. Everyone should pick the entire series up for the PSX, PS2, and PSP.

-Wild ARMs 3

This is the best in the series to me. The game does away with different weapons and armor, leaving only your characters guns and the guardian runes to edit your characters with. All the characters are quite diverse as you can use them in many different ways, just in comparison to how you switch their runes(and what personal points you use to increase specific skills.) The weapons are customizable up allowing for you to switch stats back to default as well if you messed up and want to build the guns a different way(no refund on your money though.) The graphics are amazing, second best soundtrack in a video game only because Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata beat it with the Tactics Ogre soundtrack, and a great storyline(except right at the very end where there's a second twist that is placed on the first twist in the story which is kindof lame.)

Wild ARMs 4

This is where the Wild ARMs series took a turn from its normal gameplay. The new gameplay is very good and they added level to design to be a platformer as well, both 3d and in some areas there is 2d platforming. So this is definitely a plus for me because I'm a fan of the battles in this game and I'm a huge platformer fan. It atleast gives away to straight RPG gameplay and gives a more diverse feeling to the game if you ask me. Battles now are semi tactical, taking place on seven different grid points, where allies or enemies on a single grid will all take effect of the damage or healing parameters. The music again is amazing, just like any Wild ARMs game, but don't expect too much of the story this time around.

Wild ARMs 5

Mostly the same as WA4.

So finally done with those.

Forever Kingdom

Sequel to a game called Evergrace. Evergrace is a good game, but Forever Kingdom is so much better. You control three characters, the other two follow but you can switch to them at any time to control them, and then when using your special attacks you tell them when to use their special attacks by pushing the button that they're set to(which you end up using the special of each character and if you hit it takes much more damage, giving everyone a full special gauge back, and killing them will give an overkill.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Turntablist
    PSN
    DJ_Daishi

bump for this great thread!

...I also gotta throw Arcana Heart out there. A great fighter that just recently made it state-side. the US version fixed all the balance issues that the japanese version had.
    -DJ

My EPIC "For Sale" Thread: CLICKY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Astrosmash DWB

I know I'm responding to a nearly-year-old comment in the thread, but I'll second the nomination for Legaia 2: Duel Saga. I enjoyed it quite a bit more than the original (Legend of Legaia on the first PlayStation, which wasn't too bad either). Maybe I'll get around to completing it one of these days...

I liked The Bard's Tale too. Sure it bears little relation to the old computer games, but taken as it's own game I found it quite enjoyable.
    Dan B.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Astrosmash View Post
    I'll second the nomination for Legaia 2: Duel Saga. I enjoyed it quite a bit more than the original (Legend of Legaia on the first PlayStation, which wasn't too bad either). Maybe I'll get around to completing it one of these days...
    I'll actually third this one. I like the combo gameplay on Duel Saga better than how it is on the first. I liked the accessories better on Duel Saga as well. The storyline and spells were much better on the original though. If they'd ever make a remake of the original in the style of the second games combos and everything else the way it was on the first, I'll definitely pick it up as a first day release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow I had no idea that Earth Defence Force 2017 was a sequel to a PS2 game until this thread. Awesome, I love that game!

I just checked youtube for global defence force and it looks exactly like the 360 version, just with less enemies.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slip81 View Post
    what about Ring of Red?
    Secretly one of the most interesting games on the PS2. I love alternate history, I love mechs, and I love tactical / strategy games.

I think it's criminal we never got a sequel.

On the subject of long forgotten mech games someone also mentioned Zeonic Front :

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Mobile Suit Gundam Zeonic Front

Probably my least favorite of the good Gundam games, but still a great game nonetheless. This game is a side story of the Gundam series as you control a small unit of people that aren't in the series at all. The game is real time where you set your path to which the characters will go, along with you controlling one set of them. You can set each team up with different sets of equipment in which you think would help you in the mission. There are also a ton of extra missions(more than the main game) if you get high ranks on each of the main missions and then high ranks on the bonus missions will unlock more. The game touches up on a few heroes of the actual anime and your characters do attack and protect various main areas in the anime as well.
    I think it's one of the few Gundam games that are actually good, even if you are unfamiliar with the Gundam series. Rainbow Six is one of my favorite game series, and if you are familiar with either of the first two Rainbow Six games, this is Rainbow Six with mechs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Crash Bandicoot Twinsanity is easy to brush of as just another crash game but it has a great sense of humor to it and it is really the best since the series stopped on the PS. I would recommend it for the list. Sure a Crash game may not be considered hidden but I think it sort of suffers from some guilt by association and would be easy to overlook.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had forgotten I had started this thread, but let's add a few of the newer U.S. late releases that were under the radar.

Baroque
    Pipe Mania
    Shepherd's Crossing
    SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1
    A lot of people bitch and moan about the ps2 version, something about frame rates or something. I've got the wii version and quite like it, but I just thought I'd point out the fact that some people are pretty iffy about the ps2 version.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    A lot of people bitch and moan about the ps2 version, something about frame rates or something. I've got the wii version and quite like it, but I just thought I'd point out the fact that some people are pretty iffy about the ps2 version.
    I've noticed that most of the people who complain about it on this site are owners of the original Neo-Geo hardware whereas if you never owned a Neo-Geo, you're just glad to be able to play those old games and don't really have anything to compare it to in order to judge its flaws. I own SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 on PS2 and PSP, and I like it just fine. Besides, the price is just right!
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bumped to the top for my good friend Chainsaw_Charlie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about these titles? I didn't see any of em on this list:

Adventures of Cookies and Cream - insanely hard two player simultaneous co-op action puzzle game.

Clock Tower 3 - Excellent horror game where you have zip for weapons and the baddies are BAD. I suspect this one gets missed a lot or dismissed a lot.

Gungrave - Awesome 3rd person shooter. Super-stylized anime from the maker of Trigun. Just massive killing. Very fun and oft-overlooked. Sequel is also good (Gungrave Overdose).

Haunting Ground - Another obscure-ish Capcom horror title....a girl and her dog trying to survive a bunch of nasties.

Indigo Prophecy - This one has gotten a bit more attention. Great title....murder mystery sort of. Made by Quantic Dreams, who have the forthcoming and highly anticipated Heavy Rain due out this year or so. Very different....very cool. Available for XBox and for 360 DL as well now.

Lupin the 3rd: Treasure of the Sorceror King - Fun MGS style game based on the Lupin anime series. Controls are a bit weak, but the game is GREAT and has an awesome sense of humor, just like the show!

Okage: Shadow King - Solid but slow paced RPG. Fun story. Looks like what would happen if Tim Burton designed an RPG. It's a slow-to-level one though.

Rule of Rose - An Atlus horror title...similar to Haunting Ground and Clock Tower 3. It seems like no one plays these.....

The Thing - Another multi-platform release, The Thing picks up after the '84 Carpenter movie. you run small squads against the aliens in 3D. It's nasty hard and pretty creepy, but a lot of people picked on it cause it wasn't as polished as some of the bigger action titles. I'm a huge fan of the movie....story for the game is pretty good.

Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land - This one DID get mentioned, I just wanted to say it's probably THE best Wizardry title...

Ys: The Ark of Napishtim - Ys 6 for those who don't know...the PS2 one is pretty fun. I think a lot of people just skipped it. Beautiful artwork, fun gameplay.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely agree with God Hand and Fire Pro Wrestling. Me and some girls have been playing the crap out of the King of Fighters 2006, as Gamestop in Duluth had about 8 copies for $14.99. They also had Killer 7 for $3.99. I also second Arcana Heart. What about War of the Monsters and Odin Sphere?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hidden gems

Urban Reign. Really fucking hard but a lot of fun.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If any of you happen to be into fishing games, River King: A Wonderful Journey happens to be a very decent (and decently priced) fishing RPG. Probably one of the best I've played of either genera.